Jack Marriott - operated for groin problem

richinspain

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Two player of the year at awards at Luton and three at Posh. Likewise.

He was only at Posh for 1 season. He isn't a proven goalscorer. That was the comment I challenged. He isn't. Only scored over 14 once. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

WHEN he looks like an out of form fat Robbie Fowler let me know, he's not even that. He's not suited as I said. What do we do with him?

Play Waghorn when fit or a new striker instead. Square peg in a round hole here and if he isn’t scoring he’s useless, whereas Waghorn brings fat more to the team. Not his biggest fan admittedly, but we signed him off the back of his career purple patch and that has long since faded. 

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He didn't score a load for Luton and Peterborough then. 

He did at Peterborough undoubtedly, not so much at league two (at the time) Luton.

I think he was really poor today but so were a number of our players. There’s definitely a player in there but he can’t play the lone striker role he needs a strike partner or the midfield to do a large amount of the donkey work. 

Different levels of player but he kind of reminds me of Darren Bent in terms of being a square peg in a round hole for us! Strange how we keep picking up these types of striker

4 minutes ago, sage said:

He was only at Posh for 1 season. He isn't a proven goalscorer. That was the comment I challenged. He isn't. Only scored over 14 once. 

But he got three awards in the one season. We could go through the stats for his first season at Derby with game time and I also look at quality of goal and the quality many were against but I won't change opinion. My stance is this guy will score goals - here if he we utilise his assets, elsewhere if we don't.

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

He did at Peterborough undoubtedly, not so much at league two (at the time) Luton.

I think he was really poor today but so were a number of our players. There’s definitely a player in there but he can’t play the lone striker role he needs a strike partner or the midfield to do a large amount of the donkey work. 

Different levels of player but he kind of reminds me of Darren Bent in terms of being a square peg in a round hole for us! Strange how we keep picking up these types of striker

Agree with the Bent comparison, quality when scoring but being nothing to the team. Bent however was in an attacking McLaren team that relied on bombing forward, Cocus team has a much slower build up and methodical approach, which doesn’t suit Marriott what so ever. Think once Waggy is fit or we sign a new striker he’ll be bit part for the remainder of the season, as I don’t see him showing enough to cement a first team place. 

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I do see the similarity, but I think he's a less selfish player and works harder in the right system.  He probably reminds me more of a Phillips type of player who worked best in an expansive team with space to move away from a defender rather than a team of harriers and triers. ie the centre half has more too worry about than just him.

I thought Marriott was poor today & the worst of a bad bunch. If you're playing up top on you're own then you need to move out wide & drop deep. Which is easier said than done when you dont have anyone that wants to run on or pass forward. Who else is making runs off dragging defenders out of position to create space for marriott ? 

I thought we'd have been better going 4-4-2 second half against Reading least give their defenders two players to think about. Its not Marriotts fault the service is rubbish & the slow predictable build up makes it easy for two defenders to out mark one striker. He must be so easy to defend against 

Dont get me wrong i dont think marriott is innocent. Under Lampard he chased every ball even when it looked a lost cause. Defended from the front closing down defenders & making it hard. He looks like he does less of that. But we dont commit men forward. Again under lampard you'd see four or five players busting a gut to get forward into the box. Today a cross went in and there were four of their players in the box defending & one of ours attacking. Even if the cross was perfect the odds of scoring are minimal. Anyway i think the cross went for a gk but that's a different issue 

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well if you check out player ratings and listen to RDs Steele you're in a minority with that thought.

So because steeled think he never that means he's right he was the only 1 who was achually to chase down there men and achually win the ball, either way our football is too slow to much passing backwards and sidewards 

10 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

So was the rest of the team, when he's getting no service how can you expect him to have a good game

When he had the ball tho,be belted it up in the air and completely missed the ball twice.....so he struggled to deal with the service he did get,never mind anymore.

He's got no confidence vat the moment and clearly struggles with cocus style of play.

Theres a great player in there,no doubt,but I don't think it's going to happen with us.

Jack is clearly short of confidence, he needs a goal to settle. However, the whole team's play was turbulent yesterday and far from an ideal performance for a striker to drag himself back into form. Not saying this excuses his mistakes but I can't remember a single through ball sent for Jack to chase yesterday- arguably his biggest strength 

Not implausible that Jack scores one and the floodgates open, especially as the new signings and team gel further

51 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Once upon a time this bloke was the leading scorer in Europe. It’s like he’s come to Derby and he’s been remolded and now he can’t hit a barn door with a cows arse.

He was good under Lampard around october/november time before all these rumours started about him playing golf instead of training. We simply don't play his game under Cocu and he wont reach his full potential until that changes. Shame really because I thought he could be great for us, natural finisher with a killer instinct

On 13/09/2020 at 12:01, Dcfcsr92 said:

So was the rest of the team, when he's getting no service how can you expect him to have a good game

As I’ve said a few times here, Waghorn gets himself a golden chance at least once a game. So why can’t Marriott? Always say to start worrying about strikers when they can’t get in the position to score goals. I know Waghorn isn’t prolific enough but at least he gets the chances. 

Think Marriott is on his heels too much and doesn’t attempt to create any space, no good pointing between 3 defenders looking for the impossible through ball all the time. 

27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

The guy needs to score some goals and then his confidence will come flooding back - I just can’t see him doing that currently 

Needs one to get him off the mark. That will be a weight off his shoulders and hopefully he will relax into games.

Just needs a tap in, scrappy one, off his arse. He had a couple of deflected snaps shout that on nother days could have spun in.

Let's not write him off just yet. It can all change in a minute. I back him to return to form and the team to relax around him and look more confident.

Goal against preston. You saw it here first.

Marriott didn’t do anything yesterday not so much from us not playing to his strengths, although it is the norm for Derby, it is because he was asked to be Chris Martin. I remember when Coldplay was injured under Stevie Mac, it was Johnny Russell’s turn to day “Tonight Matthew, I’m gonna be ....... Chris Martin”. Only he couldn’t, because he wasn’t. And neither is Jack.

As for the lack of service: yeah let’s all kick a limp or two out of Sibley, shall we? A young kid who has now been found on the radar and is double-marked. And as his strength is in lying a little deeper and running on to what is happening (a la Bryson), let’s play him higher up with his back to goal. A bit like “Let’s have TWO CHRIS MARTIN  WANNABEE’s”

That worked well, didn’t it?

I know that Cocu was working with all we’ve got left at the moment, but surely we need to recognise that we have Sibley and Marriott and set up to play to what works for them. A holding, playmaking centre forward is no longer an option at the moment.

Archived