Jack Marriott - operated for groin problem

richinspain

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Marriott was poor today....but so was everyone else. 

Marriott was atrocious today, as were some of his teammates. But yes everyone was poor.

The answer is playing to Marriott’s ability. There’s a 20-30 gl per season striker in there ffs! 

its sheer folly to not use him as well as possible. 

fans would prefer a 30 gl striker in a team finishing 6th than no goals in a team keeping possession and finishing 14th!! 

25 minutes ago, David said:

As I said, he was ineffective today, no escaping that, but that wasn't down to him personally, we was poor in the final third and failed to create anything of note. We was limited to long range efforts and he was a little lost for most of the game. You could have replaced him with a number of different strikers and today I don't think it would have made any difference.

I love both Knight and Sibley, but today they offered nothing, Whittaker was probably the best of the three behind him and even then you would be struggled to write a paragraph on why that was. 

It was down to him personally too though. He was wasteful when he got the ball, he didn't run into much space, he did multiple air shots, he crossed the ball into the stand. Yeah, he didn't get service but he can do more. It's an excuse to let him off the hook to blame everyone but him. 

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Laugh all you like, a peak form Robbie Fowler would look crud in this team. These players NEED to run onto balls, facing the goal. Simple. 

WHEN he looks like an out of form fat Robbie Fowler let me know, he's not even that. He's not suited as I said. What do we do with him?

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It was down to him personally too though. He was wasteful when he got the ball, he didn't run into much space, he did multiple air shots, he crossed the ball into the stand. Yeah, he didn't get service but he can do more. It's an excuse to let him off the hook to blame everyone but him. 

Where have I blamed everyone but him? All I have said is I don't agree with singling him out today when there was far worse individual performances on the pitch.

Just now, David said:

Where have I blamed everyone but him? All I have said is I don't agree with singling him out today when there was far worse individual performances on the pitch.

Yeah, was badly put - more so, look at strikers we've had recently that offer more with little service. Waggy is better, Nugent could offer more, Martin, Jerome etc, I think Marriott is so poor if he hasn't constantly got a ball crossed into him, even then he's not doing a great job of winning them. I personally would single him out because I think he was the worst player on the pitch, but he was far from the only shocking performer admittedly.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I personally would single him out because I think he was the worst player on the pitch, but he was far from the only shocking performer admittedly.

And that right there is why I got involved in this topic.

Not here defending him as such, just making the point that the bumping of this topic to single him out is incredibly harsh that's all. 

If we created so many chances that Marriott wasted today I could understand it, but that wasn't the case. Sibley, Knight, Whittaker and Marriott as a whole did not threaten Reading remotely, we can even bring Shinnie and Bird into this for their lack of forward drive to get us going.

It was just a poor poor game with very few if any positives to be taken other than the transfer window is still open.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not here it seems?

What are we gonna do with Jack? He doesn't fit and he isn't going to. 

Yes, but fit into what exactly? If we'd had Mo Salah playing this afternoon, instead of Marriott, we would have still lost 2-0. The team was dreadful today, and Marriott was just one of eleven (+ subs) failures. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I've tried but I'm wasting my time so I wouldn't bother.  It appears a striker who scores three in three against top 10 premier league opposition and 3 in about 80 minutes of football in the playoffs is poo and can't trap a bag of cement.  Not good enough for non league never mind the Rams.  Those fantastic finishes against Sheff Wed, Norwich and the chip of the keeper from the tightest of angles against Leeds were clearly someone else.   Could have been our Chrissy, but I think he was warming the Hull bench at the time or was it Readings bench .  Back in those days Jack Sparrow was the future and Martin had been seen of by three managers. 

He loved the club so much - he isn't here, despite a contract offer and hasn't really been for four of the last five years.  Some need to get to grips with that and perhaps think of the best way to utilise the natural goalscorer we have who is being used appallingly in this ponderous system.  We don't have 10 million for another one.

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've tried but I'm wasting my time so I wouldn't bother.  It appears a striker who scores three in three against top 10 premier league opposition and 3 in about 80 minutes of football in the playoffs is poo and can't trap a bag of cement.  Not good enough for non league never mind the Rams.  Those fantastic finishes against Sheff Wed, Norwich and the chip of the keeper from the tightest of angles against Leeds were clearly someone else.   Could have been our Chrissy, but I think he was warming the Hull bench at the time or was it Readings bench .  Back in those days Jack Sparrow was the future and Martin had been seen of by three managers. 

He loved the club so much - he isn't here, despite a contract offer and hasn't really been for four of the last five years.  Some need to get to grips with that and perhaps think of the best way to utilise the natural goalscorer we have who is being used appallingly in this ponderous system.  We don't have 10 million for another one.

He is 26 and has had 1 good season.  

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He loved the club so much - he isn't here, despite a contract offer and hasn't really been for four of the last five years. 

Wow. So now it's the fault of another teams player? You need to get a grip. ?

Lampard didn't rate him enough to play him consistently. Cocu seems to be playing him because there's no-one else. I don't think he fits but just as much I don't think he is a long term solution.

How many Championship teams can afford to carry a striker who's just there for the goals but lacks quality and usefulness in most other areas of their play, and is yet to prove that they can physically cope with the demands of Championship football? (I'm not even talking about injuries, purely the physical performance levels)

If you remember Adam Le Fondre he could score goals at any level, in the right team,  but at Championship & above he could never have been someone you'd start week in, week out, he wouldn't have offered enough to be anything other than a bench option.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wow. So now it's the fault of another teams player? You need to get a grip. ?

Lampard didn't rate him enough to play him consistently. Cocu seems to be playing him because there's no-one else. I don't think he fits but just as much I don't think he is a long term solution.

no . the point is that player has been elsewhere since 2016, bar last season.  We work with what we have, a player who's been effective before in a certain system and at the minute were not. Lampard played Marriott with Bryson/Mount when they were fit.  We possibly have that player in Sibley but he is constantly man marked in this system and it will be a while before he's as good as those two at there best.  We don't have 40 million to create a new team in the style Cocu's pursuing. We need to encourage the players we have to play a natural game.  It's the championship and we can't play possession football  like Barcelona 2010. The team is too young and not good enough at possession football.

Seem to recall everyone had written off Vydra and look what happened there.

Marriott had a decent first season, can’t judge him on last as he wasn’t fit all season. Now he’s had his op, this is his chance to shine. He had nothing today yet still nearly scored creating something from nothing. He has an X Factor. Just need the rest of the team to connect and he will flourish. 

Archived