Live football thread.

Rev

22 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

0.3 chance of Rashford's goal going in, apparently.

What cobblers.

If that is related to xG, I’m not sure what the big deal is?

xG measures the quality of chance created. Rashford’s 25-yard stunner wasn’t a chance. It was a pattern of play that would result in one goal every 100 times.

Haaland, meanwhile, missed an open goal from 3 yards which you’d expect a player to score from 99 times out of 100.

I caught the half-time stats only and it showed City 0-1 United, 17-2 in shots and an xG of 1.7 - 0.3 or something like that.

When watching the highlights later that made total sense. Rashford’s goal was scored out of very little and City had several good first-half chances.

29 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If that is related to xG, I’m not sure what the big deal is?

xG measures the quality of chance created. Rashford’s 25-yard stunner wasn’t a chance. It was a pattern of play that would result in one goal every 100 times.

Haaland, meanwhile, missed an open goal from 3 yards which you’d expect a player to score from 99 times out of 100.

I caught the half-time stats only and it showed City 0-1 United, 17-2 in shots and an xG of 1.7 - 0.3 or something like that.

When watching the highlights later that made total sense. Rashford’s goal was scored out of very little and City had several good first-half chances.

It went in. It will always go in unless a goalkeeper managed to save it. Because it was on target. And since you don't have time to bet between Rashford shooting and it going in, it's not helpful. Will it guide you in your betting?

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It went in. It will always go in unless a goalkeeper managed to save it. Because it was on target. And since you don't have time to bet between Rashford shooting and it going in, it's not helpful. Will it guide you in your betting?

I don’t think xG was created to aid betting. But let’s take out City and United.

If I was a gambler, and I saw a team 0-1 down but with those stats, I’d find value in backing the home team to win (despite losing) due to the quality number of chances they are creating.

There is a reason why all the best and most successful teams use it.

You as a fan may think it’s cobblers because you don’t work in football analytics and it’s therefore no use to you.

But if you are involved in a football club and work in coaching or analysis and don’t use it, then you are a dinosaur.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t think xG was created to aid betting. But let’s take out City and United.

If I was a gambler, and I saw a team 0-1 down but with those stats, I’d find value in backing the home team to win (despite losing) due to the quality number of chances they are creating.

There is a reason why all the best and most successful teams use it.

You as a fan may think it’s cobblers because you don’t work in football analytics and it’s therefore no use to you.

But if you are involved in a football club and work in coaching or analysis and don’t use it, then you are a dinosaur.

You don't think someone might back the home team because the home team is Man City?

As far as Sky presenters are concerned, are they speaking to football analysts? No, they are speaking to their Sky Bet customers. They should leave that s*** for their betting website.

I suppose I just want to appreciate the beauty of the goal. 

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You don't think someone might back the home team because the home team is Man City?

As far as Sky presenters are concerned, are they speaking to football analysts? No, they are speaking to their Sky Bet customers. They should leave that s*** for their betting website.

An xG of 0.3 helps you appreciate it even more though. It’s shows how rare it is that a goal like that would go in and what a special goal it is. It did not expected that anyone would score from there. 

if it was an xG of 1, then it’s a dead cert and there’s nothing special about it. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

An xG of 0.3 helps you appreciate it even more though. It’s shows how rare it is that a goal like that would go in and what a special goal it is. It did not expected that anyone would score from there. 

if it was an xG of 1, then it’s a dead cert and there’s nothing special about it. 

We can all see what a special goal it is from watching it. We don't need to be fed meaningless stats.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Whilst xG is all total bollox, the Rashford goal was actually 0.03 (3% chance of a goal) not 0.3 (30% chance of a goal).

0.3 wouldn't indicate a special goal at all.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And you can appreciate the goal 🤷‍♂️

55 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Whilst xG is all total bollox, the Rashford goal was actually 0.03 (3% chance of a goal) not 0.3 (30% chance of a goal).

0.3 wouldn't indicate a special goal at all.

I did think that as i was typing it. But I was going with the original figures given here. 0.03 makes much more sense. 3 times in a hundred someone would try that and pull it off. 

far from being a meaningless stat, I’d actually love to see the xG on Garnacho’s bicycle kick. 

the type of goal where the commentator goes, ‘and there’s a pass, and another pass, and… oh my god what a goal’. It’s literally unexpected. Which means the opposite is an expected goal. xG is a perfect metric to quantify the wonderfulness if wonder goals. But it’s always difficult to quantify the unquantifiable.

Besides, every knows the only accurate way to decide how wonderful a wonder goal is is to ask a bunch of c-list celebrities and get a disembodied host to count them down at an obscure time in sky sports max. 

Edited by TigerTedd

Not that I want reminding but……points total is ‘safe’ for Prem but can Sheff Utd smash our GD record? Haven’t checked but expect statto to help out here