Shinnie

Ellafella

Read that article this morning, it’s interesting to hear Shinnie’s take on things. I think a “rollercoaster” is definitely the best way to describe his Derby career so far! It must have been really difficult for him, signing for a new club expecting to play under a certain manager, only to find when you actually arrive there’s a totally different bloke in charge - with different ideas of what he wants from his players. I think he’s done brilliantly to adapt to what’s expected of him. 

When he first arrived I really wasn’t sure about him, based on his sporadic early appearances. But once he finally got a run in the first team you could finally see what he was all about. He’d obviously worked very hard in training to become more suited to a possession based style of play, and it’s really payed off - for him and for us. He is an absolutely outstanding all action midfielder. The energy he brings to the middle of the park is brilliant, and the way he breaks up play and does the basics perfectly is vital to our team as a whole, as it allows the more “cultured” players like Bird and Rooney time and space to work their magic. “Water-carriers” like Shinnie often go unnoticed and under-appreciated, but they are vital in any good team to keep things ticking over. And at this level, Shinnie is one of the very best at what he does imo.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Not according to the man himself.

He was injured at Aberdeen when in talks for Derby.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/extremely-unlikely-shinnie-will-stay-beyond-summer-mcinnes/

Injured at Forres Mechanics, Inverness and Kilmarnock etc, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Shinnie

22 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I like this player. Tough as nails. We look stronger when he plays. 
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52951723

Interesting that the BBC are covering another Derby player in detail - After the Davies article the other day too

I wonder if the club have been trying to nurture a relationship with the journos at the BBC or if this is just a case of nothing to write about when there's no football being played?

22 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I think he's a brilliant asset , wasn't initially in favour under Cocu and both parties admitted this but he's worked hard , the coaching staff have worked hard with him and I think towards the latter stages we started to see the fruits of this . 

I thought it spoke volumes of Cocu approach that instead of just ditching him, he made a point of saying he was working with GS on how he could adapt to fit the team. He did exactly that and whilst he's not going to start ahead of Bird or Rooney he's a very effective option now. 

I do wonder if certain managers had done the same with Johnson or Butterfield we might have got more value out of them 

The advantage of having Shinnie is to be able to say to the young'un

'Fly my pretties, fly!' 

He does the simple stuff and is a better tackler than Rooney. 

He's a good choice away from home and his experience will be useful in the run-in. 

Good point about the extra subs.

I also think this bring will bring more 'fringe' players back into the fold and depending how we do they may even get a chance. 

This is what Cocu needs to see these players in match action when analysising where our 'real' deeper squad deficiences lay.   

He can then set about trying address them in the Summer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As with most of these interviews, I skipped to the end to listen to the part on Derby. No idea if he mentions anything else. 

It's a good refreshing interview - sounds like a normal bloke trying to make it in our team. It doesn't sound easy. It sounds as though at times he thought he wasn't good enough, but I'd say he had a decent first year at the club. He's a good squad player at the very least. 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

As with most of these interviews, I skipped to the end to listen to the part on Derby. No idea if he mentions anything else. 

It's a good refreshing interview - sounds like a normal bloke trying to make it in our team. It doesn't sound easy. It sounds as though at times he thought he wasn't good enough, but I'd say he had a decent first year at the club. He's a good squad player at the very least. 

I think hes certainly not a player Cocu would've signed, but he's certainly a player with a lot to offer championship football. I love that he's trying to make it here even though it's not his natural game.

On 09/06/2020 at 14:06, OohMartWright said:

I think the fact that for the rest of the season we have squads of twenty with five subs allowed will mean that we will see a fair bit of Shinnie being used as a sub, even if Bird/Rooney/Holmes start.

Yep ! Shore it up lad, stop em bully the young ones. Tidy player with guts and drive. 

3 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

He'd be my first choice to play alongside Bird until Bielik comes back, at least. 

He provides bite, energy and he drives the ball forward well. 

I think we look better with him in the team - particularly when you look at performances like Blackburn at home before lockdown. He was my unsung hero that day.

Absolutely this ^. I also get the impression he’s not “pretty enough” for Cocu but he’s a first pick for me. Totally concur with your observations - it’s a litmus test for me as to Cocu’s judgement. We need Shinnie starting to give us that steel and cutting edge. Without him we are easier to beat. I still can’t fathom what precisely Shinnie had to do to get in Cocu’s 11. Anyone? 

Just now, Ellafella said:

Absolutely this ^. I also get the impression he’s not “pretty enough” for Cocu but he’s a first pick for me. Totally concur with your observations - it’s a litmus test for me as to Cocu’s judgement. We need Shinnie starting to give us that steel and cutting edge. Without him we are easier to beat. I still can’t fathom what precisely Shinnie had to do to get in Cocu’s 11. Anyone? 

Shinnie's interview elaborated pretty well on that I thought;

He didn't catch Cocu's eye in pre-season; had to adjust how he played a little. Got a chance out of the blue and was MOTM; was then in the starting XI consistently for 6 or 7 games before getting injured.

He then got back into the team again before Covid hit. 

I don't think Cocu has some agenda against him; I think he's just been unlucky so far in his time here.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

@SaintRam outlined a fair bit of it. 

But honestly ? It's because he simply isn't as good as Bird or Rooney in that role and he's not got enough flair to play further forward.

The uptick in form was largely, in my opinion, down to that pairing and at least when fit probably should be the starting point for the season. And if I'm truly being honest I suspect Bielik will likely leap frog him in the pick order in midfield. 

With all that said I think he's a solid player and useful one to have to give us depth and a bit of something different. And will probably start Saturday.

I've just watched the débacle that was our league cup defeat by PNE.

The highlight was Preston's equaliser but also the flawless performance by the bearded magiciam Graham Shinnie.

He was brilliant and will fit well into a more sttled Rams team as the season progresses.

He makes me think that this could be a very exciting season after all!

Archived