Clubs threatening to sue EFL over Derby's FFP situation

Andicis

13 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Sadly, that's right. I've grown to hate the money side of football. I realise it's professional sport, and that the money is vital, but I still think it's just gone nuts.

Sad thing is, there are Derby fans, well, fans of all clubs, who want their team to do well, get promoted etc etc . Exactly as it should be, but there are some who only seem to want that to happen because it means MORE money. 

It's like chasing the money has become more important than the actual game itself. 

I suppose the truth is, that it has.

I was 16 when we last won the league. I don't remember even for a second , thinking about the financial side of it. Maybe it's an age thing !

We share similar time lines !

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Who do you consider a big club? We're an above average sized club, not a huge one, but I just find the whole big club thing inane and vague. 

Absolutely with you on this, 100%! 

The big clubs are typically the clubs who were successful at significant flashpoints in history, i.e. when live football began to be televised nationally regularly (early-mid 80s) and then early throughout the Premier League era. Derby haven't really been relevant in the Premier League era - we were in the second division when it first started and we've only spent 7 years in it, out of a possible 28. Wigan have been more relevant during the Premier League era, and possibly will be seen as some as a similar size club to us now, especially as they have a FA Cup in recent memory. 

Very, very few people are becoming Derby County fans outside of Derby at the moment and Derby is only a small city - it's a passionate football city but it's still a small city.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I am with @B4ev6is on his comments about the club. 

The media might not like us, but generally speaking, supporters of other clubs we meet at away days are complimentary of DCFC and their history and tradition. I think it does still count for something amongst match-attending fans.

Well thanks angieram 

I think mel should consider legal action against efl and boro maybe this will make efl reconsider it.

6 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Sadly, that's right. I've grown to hate the money side of football. I realise it's professional sport, and that the money is vital, but I still think it's just gone nuts.

Sad thing is, there are Derby fans, well, fans of all clubs, who want their team to do well, get promoted etc etc . Exactly as it should be, but there are some who only seem to want that to happen because it means MORE money. 

It's like chasing the money has become more important than the actual game itself. 

I suppose the truth is, that it has.

I was 16 when we last won the league. I don't remember even for a second , thinking about the financial side of it. Maybe it's an age thing !

I want us to win every game.
I want us to finish first, to gain auto promotion to the "top flight".
My head wants us to at least compete, and preferably to beat the majority in the "top flight".
My heart wants us to win the "top flight".
I want us winning in Europe.  Winning Euro competitions.

And yet, I feel I don't actually want us to be a part of "The Premiership" (Or "The English Premier League", or whatever it's called!)
It's seedy.  It's dirty.  It's greedy.  It's selfish.  It's obsessed with wealth. 

I'm 4 years behind you, but I guess there are many of our generation who dislike everything The Premiership... and those in it... now stands for.

In essence... I haven't got a clue what I want!  LOL!   ?

18 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

My head wants us to at least compete, and preferably to beat the majority in the "top flight".

And yet, I feel I don't actually want us to be a part of "The Premiership" (Or "The English Premier League", or whatever it's called!)
It's seedy.  It's dirty.  It's greedy.  It's selfish.  It's obsessed with wealth. 

I'm 4 years behind you, but I guess there are many of our generation who dislike everything The Premiership... and those in it... now stands for.

The Premier League provides a platform for all their teams to grow, plus they give out £100s of millions in handouts to football league clubs because they want to ensure the financial security for teams across all divisions.

The Premier League is a great organisation. The Football League, on the other hand, wanted to financially punish a team and dock them points, so let a third party investigation see if they were in fact guilt and after they ruled they wasn’t THEN went to court to appeal the decision. I mean.. the football league has created a platform where football is secondary to finances. It gives teams vastly different ceilings to work under and has suffocated any potential investment away from the league. It’s perhaps the most incompetent governing body of any sports league in the entire world, perhaps one of the most incompetent organisations in the entire world in any industry. They have absolutely suffocated my enjoyment for the game. 

On 22/05/2020 at 17:24, Mucker1884 said:

Try as I might I can't think what tune that is sung to ?

The clubs - us and Wednesday - would fight any sanctions with swarms of lawyers as both believe they've done nothing wrong. It seems they've both taken the same loophole, albeit Wednesday somewhat less professionally than ours, so it is a huge headache for the EFL. 

Imagine if they take enough points off us to relegate us and we can't play enough games. How would the PPG work - I'm assuming we would be awarded the PPG value for the games we've played then deducted points for any infraction. I believe when I worked it out (based on a 15 point deduction) it would leave us on the same points as Charlton, but obviously with a better goal difference. 

It still begs the question: how many teams are going to go to court next season because they've fell under the PPF (P&S) regulations?? You may say 'well, surely they will defer the rules' but they possibly can't when teams who still have kept their neck above water, i.e. Cardiff, due to parachute payments then sue the league for not enforcing their own rules. You potentially have half the league with point deductions, possibly some paying fines with money they don't have, which opens the wound for clubs to die. 

This league is going to be a farce for the next couple years. Teams struggling to survive whilst the governing body continues to pile on those teams who really, desperately, need investment. Football is going to be secondary to financial talk and legal battles for a while, unfortunately. 

Barnsley “we will not accept relegation” - ha truly pathetic letter.

Fine then let’s kick you out of the league. It’s embarrassing.

The EFL mgt are embarrassing by taking this long to have a charge heard. They’re creating their holes and are getting deeper in them day by day.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Barnsley “we will not accept relegation” - ha truly pathetic letter.

Fine then let’s kick you out of the league. It’s embarrassing.

The EFL mgt are embarrassing by taking this long to have a charge heard. They’re creating their holes and are getting deeper in them day by day.

The EFL will be wanting to hand Derby the biggest punishment possible, this is nothing to do with the stadium sale and more to do with Mel Morris causing trouble for the EFL and showing them up as the incompetant pratts that they are.

I am still expecting a massive points deduction.

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The EFL will be wanting to hand Derby the biggest punishment possible, this is nothing to do with the stadium sale and more to do with Mel Morris causing trouble for the EFL and showing them up as the incompetant pratts that they are.

I doubt it - EFL needs big clubs in the Championship for starters, so Wednesday and us are safe. Plus our lawyers would have a field day based on what is public knowledge.

3 hours ago, Curtains said:

Well if Barnsley say we’re guilty I guess we must be.

What I don’t get is, the deadline for any punishment this season has surely long gone. Isn’t there a precedent whereby points deductions are delayed until the following season? In which case, whether the season is completed or abandoned is irrelevant with regard to any punishment.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Maybe so but there is surely no way it could be applied this season regardless of whether the fixtures are completed or not. Barnsley must know this.

I wouldn’t be surprised that, even if we are found guilty, the punishment is much less than it could be because of the EFL’s contributory negligence.

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe so but there is surely no way it could be applied this season regardless of whether the fixtures are completed or not. Barnsley must know this.

I wouldn’t be surprised that, even if we are found guilty, the punishment is much less than it could be because of the EFL’s contributory negligence.

This.
Guilty, so not only does that bring a smile to the EFL face, but also it covers their ar5e against anything Barnsley may have to say.
3 to 6 points, all explained by the mitigating circumstances... EFL allowed it, but in hindsight they shouldn't have, and ultimate responsibility lies with the club.

I also expect this to affect next season though, not this, so any interest by Barnsley should be irrelevant?

I've probably missed this but what is the EFL's justification for not ruling on our case back in March?.

I realise some delay could be due to CV but 2 months and counting?. Lockdown was only 5 days or so before the decision was due.

Maybe someone should send them a link to Zoom.

38 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I've probably missed this but what is the EFL's justification for not ruling on our case back in March?.

I realise some delay could be due to CV but 2 months and counting?. Lockdown was only 5 days or so before the decision was due.

Maybe someone should send them a link to Zoom.

Think about it, it must take a lot of time to come up with a credible way to say that you as a governing body, completely ballsed up enforcing your own rules to such an extent that they actively signed off on the (perfectly legal) practices in good faith, and have only decided to do something about it since some mardy bell-whiff, in charge of a no-mark north east club threw a wobbler, cus he didn't think of it first...

This is what really pisses me off about the whole thing, we didn't break any rules.  Yes we bent them slightly, but legally we didn't do anything that wasn't within the rules.  We even told the EFL we did it, and they said it was ok.  All these clubs getting the arse aren't really mad at us, they're mad at the EFL for being incompetent.  

The current leader of the EFL is trying to make his mark, the previous leader of the EFL left his mark, the EFL is and has been responsible for the whole mis management of the FFP situation in the leagues and they should actually be taking the lions share of the blame and yes the clubs should be a darn sight more sensible with their money.

24 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Think about it, it must take a lot of time to come up with a credible way to say that you as a governing body, completely ballsed up enforcing your own rules to such an extent that they actively signed off on the (perfectly legal) practices in good faith, and have only decided to do something about it since some mardy bell-whiff, in charge of a no-mark north east club threw a wobbler, cus he didn't think of it first...

This is what really pisses me off about the whole thing, we didn't break any rules.  Yes we bent them slightly, but legally we didn't do anything that wasn't within the rules.  We even told the EFL we did it, and they said it was ok.  All these clubs getting the arse aren't really mad at us, they're mad at the EFL for being incompetent.  

You are Dominic Cummings and I claim my £5! ?

Archived