Clubs threatening to sue EFL over Derby's FFP situation

Andicis

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This geordies are the best supporters is absolute bobbins .  I went there in 1991 when they were struggling in Division 2 .I could count the people in the ground .  There average attendance that year was about 14,000.  You'll never meet a more fickle bunch of fans- maybe West Ham .  Sunderland and Man City are much better supported clubs in real money . 

This is a useful site for finding average attendances.

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea and Man City are two historical underachievers. Consistently top teams in the country without winning much.
I doubt many would argue against Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton being amongst the biggest in the country. Those clubs have spent a considerable amount of time in the top division and have earned more points than any other club in the country. 
Villa, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle and Sunderland round off the top 10. Sounds about right in terms of club size. 
You then have a large group of clubs who’re bottom half Prem or top 6 Championship - West Brom, Blackburn, Bolton, Wednesday, Wolves, Derby, Sheff Utd, West Ham, Boro, Leeds, Burnley, Forest, Stoke, Birmingham, Leicester, Preston. The likes of Preston, Burnley and Bolton spending large chunks of the last 50 years in the 3rd division, and few considering them to be ‘big’ clubs compared to others not mentioned.

All time average league positions can be found here.

This is interesting reading, we are 19.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengtot.htm

Total attendance from 1889 - 2019 (Top 10)

1Manchester United106.249.505

2Arsenal FC91.994.049

3Liverpool FC91.193.659

4Everton FC84.586.713

5Newcastle United FC84.221.745

6Tottenham Hotspur FC80.386.408

7Manchester City FC79.756.882

8Chelsea FC78.799.161

9Aston Villa FC77.234.651

10Sunderland AFC68.678.608

On 27/05/2020 at 12:14, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

But Man City and Chelsea are constantly at the top now and they get big attendances. They seem to be permanent fixtures at the top for the last decade or more. I would not class Leeds as bigger than either now. 

Man City struggle to sell out their stadium. When I watch them on TV I regularly see empty blue seats. They also struggled to sell some of the top priced tickets for the EFL Cup final this season. The huge clubs sell out regardless.

I also don’t regard Chelsea as a really big club. Money has certainly helped them. They were pretty average before Zola & Vialli showed up too.

5 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Man City struggle to sell out their stadium. When I watch them on TV I regularly see empty blue seats. They also struggled to sell some of the top priced tickets for the EFL Cup final this season. The huge clubs sell out regardless.

I also don’t regard Chelsea as a really big club. Money has certainly helped them. They were pretty average before Zola & Vialli showed up too.

Went to Stamford Bridge in 1983 when we won 3-1 (we were poor they were worse) and massive Chelsea had an attendance of less than 9K if i recall correctly. To be fair though don't think our crowd was much above 8k when we played at the BBG in the reverse fixture. Different times.

7 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Went to Stamford Bridge in 1983 when we won 3-1 (we were poor they were worse) and massive Chelsea had an attendance of less than 9K if i recall correctly. To be fair though don't think our crowd was much above 8k when we played at the BBG in the reverse fixture. Different times.

I was there in the shed end and there was plenty of room to social distance. The Derby fans were a small distant cluster in the middle section of that massive terrace they had where the matthew Harding stand now is.

Stamford Bridge still had a speedway track round the pitch then.

On 28/05/2020 at 07:09, wyschtonram said:

This is interesting reading, we are 19.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengtot.htm

Total attendance from 1889 - 2019 (Top 10)

1Manchester United106.249.505

2Arsenal FC91.994.049

3Liverpool FC91.193.659

4Everton FC84.586.713

5Newcastle United FC84.221.745

6Tottenham Hotspur FC80.386.408

7Manchester City FC79.756.882

8Chelsea FC78.799.161

9Aston Villa FC77.234.651

10Sunderland AFC68.678.608

How the hell are the blue noses above us !!! they can’t fill there ground other than  when they are playing the side near them

30 minutes ago, AbuDerbyDave said:

How the hell are the blue noses above us !!! they can’t fill there ground other than  when they are playing the side near them

I think its subjective to go back that far .  Leeds for example weren't a league club till the 20's. Birmingham  joined the league in 1892 .  Derbys average attendance can only be judged over the same time period as every club over the same  number of years, alongside average years in a division , catchment area and density of population etc.   That may make it worse or better, but the one weighted average won't tell you that much.

On 29/05/2020 at 04:24, Will the Ram said:

Their stadium is massive and they get 50,000 ish on average don’t they? I’m not saying they’re as big as Man U or Liverpool but they are definitely an established big club with very big support. And the longer they stay at the top, the more fans they will attract. Size doesn’t stay the same over time. Clubs gain support with success. 

On 26/05/2020 at 08:54, Van Wolfie said:

I've probably missed this but what is the EFL's justification for not ruling on our case back in March?.

I realise some delay could be due to CV but 2 months and counting?. Lockdown was only 5 days or so before the decision was due.

Maybe someone should send them a link to Zoom.

Surely they would use Teams ?

Archived