Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 18/08/2023 at 12:38, Rample said:

Would Pulp Fiction be any good in the right order or just bang average?

True Romance is quality, as is Reservoir Dogs

Dusk Till Dawn and Natural Born Killers were pretty decent

Found Jackie Brown dull (avoided it at the cinema due to the All Saints mini-movie playing before it if I recall)

Enjoyed Kill Bill, but not so much part 2, Death Proof was pretty poor

Inglorious B was inconsistent but when it's good it's good. The Christophe Waltz interrogation scene is one of the best scenes in cinema for me.

After that its just been a trudge, almost as if its for award glory rather than art or fun - all too long, too dull, too Dicaprio, lacking what made his earlier films good (although I see Hateful 8 tried to recapture some of that with an ensemble cast).

What did you think to Django Unchained?

Sits below Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and just above Inglorious Basterds as his 3rd best film IMO

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I kind of feel the same about Anderson's later offerings. They aren't bad, but he almost became a parody of himself, hitting the exact same beats and utilising the exact same themes as all his other films. Have you seen The Darjeeling Limited?

I haven’t. Just Budapest and Tenenbaums (I watched Fantastic Mr Fox as a kid but can’t remember it enough to give it an opinion).

I’ll get round to watching most of them in time.

Sisu

If you like 'Nobody' this is for you. 

Finnish but not subtitled. Simple set-up - old grizzled guy finds gold and is heading home when he stumbles across Nazis who have other ideas.

Really really enjoyed it. Realistic, tactile violence served up in a humorous and innovative ways.

9/10

Edited by Chester40

On 23/08/2023 at 08:08, Chester40 said:

Sisu

If you like 'Nobody' this is for you. 

Finnish but not subtitled. Simple set-up - old grizzled guy finds gold and is heading home when he stumbles across Nazis who have other ideas.

Really really enjoyed it. Realistic, tactile violence served up in a humorous and innovative ways.

9/10

Popped this up a while back but not sure if anyone bothered with it. Maddest film I've seen in a while, though I'm not sure the levels of violence reached should be half as much fun as they were. 

Had a bit of a bad run yesterday.

The Last Sentinel

A film trying to be clever and failing. Fell asleep within 10 minutes, missed about 20 mins. Nothing seemed to have happened and nothing happened after that.

Vic Moreland.

Fall of a Kingdom

Historical drama about the Mongol invasion of Ukraine and the locals' brave resistance. Clunky parallels to the current situaion. Stars T-1000 out of Terminator 2 and the nazi woman from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, seemingly playing a middle aged woman who's had far too much plastic surgery. In the 13th century.

Barry Powell

So this morning I've fallen back onto a favourite - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which I kknow is Charlie George.

Cop shop. (Netflix)

I read it was a return to form for Gerald Butler, although I'm not aware he had good form to return to, I gave it a shot regardless.

I don't know if it had several different directors, or just one schizophrenic in charge, but it made for an easy enough viewing for an idiot.

Tom Lawrence/10.

I really disliked Tom, for the avoidance of doubt.

20 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Oppenheimer - really enjoyed it, but why does Nolan make the dialogue so hard to hear (and the background effects so LOUD)?

I think the aim is to make it a more immersive viewing experience, as much as anything, though I do agree that it can become little more than a distraction at times. I've yet to see Oppenheimer though...

Blue Beetle

DC's latest incarnation.  Very focused on "family" with lots of messages about the importance of being part of a family, how immigrants are miss-treated etc.  Some would say this makes it a lovely watch - as for me, I found it annoying.  One moment it was trying to be funny, then it was chucking family morals at me, then it was all action. The effects aren't bad, but it felt far too message-heavy. The humour, if you can call it that, was more Marvel than DC with overtures of Venom and Iron Man thrown in.  I like my DC dark. This wasn't it.   Scraped a generous 5/10

Did the Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse / Multiverse double bill on a whim. I usually struggle with animated stuff, but I'd read and heard good things and I have to say, I thought both were great. The artwork is amazing, the voicing is excellent and it's a really enjoyable way to while away a few spare hours. Far better than the movies, I reckon.

Paradise: German language sci-fi thriller set in a dystopian world where people can sell years of their lives in return for cash. Turns into a good old fashioned good guy / bad guy road chase in the end but mainly because it's really hard to see where the film goes after the initial premise is understood. Still, it's an OK watch and a darn site better than many Hollywood bish bash bosh explosathons.

Promised s much but ultimately failed to quite deliver so let's give it a Lewin Nyatanga / 10

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Europa Report.

No spoilers, except....

Arthur C Clarke warned them.... All of there worlds are yours except Europa. Use them together - use them in peace.

Pillocks didn't listen.

Seriously, I really enjoyed this quite gripping film.

Gerry Daly/10.

Ah, thanks I've never heard of that film.

By pure coincidence I watched 2010 last night, for the first time in many years. I'll have a look for this one.