Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched a couple of films recently, both really good. Saw 'Yesterday' at the cinema. If you can suspend your disbelief about the whole premis of there never ever being the Beatles it was a really enjoyable watch 8/10. Even better though was 'Juliet naked' currently on SKY Cinema. A comedy/drama/romance starring Ethan Hawke and Rose Byrne (she is lovely)…..based on a Nick Hornby novel. Superbly acted and a really good watch 9/10.....

On 01/06/2019 at 06:51, Chester40 said:

Rocket Man 8.5/10

I would point out that I REALLY don't like 'musicals' so I approached this with huge caution and only went for someone else, but attempting to have an open mind.

Somehow, (in a way for me I can remember only Gene Wilder/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory managed ?!) it successfully walked the fine line between being very much a musical whilst the story still stayed central and the songs were enjoyable and part of the tale without feeling forced. 

Really well handled all round. Clever, funny, a thought provoking romp which didn't shy away from serious issues without being exploitative or too preachy.  

Some great portrayals of characters. Just all-round a bloody good film. If this is your thing anyway you will absolutely love it. 

Watched it the other night. It was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be similar to Bohemian Rhapsody, flirting and skirting with some nitty gritty episodes but I dived in head first. It was very refreshing. 

R.I.P.D.

imdb: A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him.

Jeff Bridges & Ryan Reynolds

I like both main actors but this was just a poor Men-In-Black rip off with over used and fake looking CGI, though Mrs Wolfie liked it more than I did.

Me: 4/10

Her: 7/10 probably. What does she know.

15 hours ago, dog said:

Back from watching Yesterday.

8/10 for the film (a great way to spend a couple of hours). 

Much higher for the songs. Makes you realise how much of modern culture was shaped by them and their milieu (ooh la laaaaas)

You forget how many great Beatles songs there are. A nice little film, too. Jamie Ward/10.

Spiderman Far From Home

The latest in the Marvel cinematic universe and the final film of phase 3.  Enjoyable film with a few (albeit) predictable twists and turns.  Not the best in the series but far from the worst.  Deals briefly with the aftermath of Endgame and the loss of Tony Stark.  Solid 7/10, will definitely be adding it to my blu-ray collection!

My kids 16yo and 11yo, enjoyed it more so probably one for a younger audience. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Georgie Kinkldaze/10.

Meandering, meaningless, unnecessary, self-indulgent, bloated... yet sprinkled with some kind of ineffable magic dust which made it a wonderful thing to watch.

What did it all mean? Who knows, maybe that will only become apparent later on... like the French Revolution.

Hobbs and Shaw (Fast and Furious)..

Not a fan of the FaF franchise...at all (being kind).

But at the cinema, gotta admit this was quite a good film actually. Totally bonkers action film, never let's up. 

Buddy movie in a 'Tango and Cash' knockabout style.. doesn't always hit the mark but amusing at times. Action scenes were full-on, ludicrous and constant...but good exhausting fun.

Blade Runner 2049

watched on Netflix. Having only seen the original for the first time about a year ago,  I can’t say I'm a big of the franchise. But I enjoyed and understood the first so expected something good from this.

weird film. It’s a modern version of the first films ambience and scenes. Actors a good. Story is intriguing and keeps you guessing what’s actually happening. But it’s also long, far too long for the storyline. I understand it’s designed that way, but at its heart it’s a very basic story with a lot of plot points set up and then nothing done with them. Will they make another? Don’t know.

7/10

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

Blade Runner 2049

watched on Netflix. Having only seen the original for the first time about a year ago,  I can’t say I'm a big of the franchise. But I enjoyed and understood the first so expected something good from this.

weird film. It’s a modern version of the first films ambience and scenes. Actors a good. Story is intriguing and keeps you guessing what’s actually happening. But it’s also long, far too long for the storyline. I understand it’s designed that way, but at its heart it’s a very basic story with a lot of plot points set up and then nothing done with them. Will they make another? Don’t know.

7/10

I saw that at the cinema. I was a big fan of the original and understood this could be a similar slow paced film.  Unfortunately this was one of the most boring I've ever seen of any film genre. Like watching a film through treacle. It only really perked up slightly when Harrison Ford made an appearance.