Leeds v Derby Match Thread

Day

What a match! And for long periods we were well on too. And alrhough we didn’t create much until Marriott came on,it was so well deserved.

And Leeds are still dirty! Bamford should have had four yellow cards. Phillips should have had two, as should a couple of other players. But Mount gets one for his first offence. Ho hum!

Thanks for that, Rams TV. Thanks for that You Rams!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my finest hour as a predictor and elevated me to the realms of superstardom.

In other words, I got an amazing five points to round off the season in May 2019.

I also predicted that Mr Lampard would leave us if Chelsea requested his services.

(Sadly that was an easier one to call!).

This season took me by surprise the way it's turned out though!

I watched this in The Yard with my son and his partner, my daughter and my wife, who didn’t realise how loud we were when watching a match.

I remember thumping the table so hard for one of the goals (dunno which one) that most of the glasses went over and there was beer, lager and wine flowing everywhere.

But somehow nothing mattered it was that good!

I was in Benidorm for the match, it was on in the hotel but I could not watch it.It wasn't till I checked my iPad in the morning that I knew we had won. Today is the first time I have seen the full match, and am I glad I didn't watch it. I am a 78 year old Rams fan and I had a little tear in my eye this afternoon. 

Cried all the way through that - it was just so brilliant. Perfectly scripted.

I've supported the Rams for well over 50 years, been some great times, but that has to be in my top three favourite games of all, if not the best.

And a reminder of why I hate the dirty, cheating bamfords so much. And why I love the mighty, mighty Derby.

Brilliant Derby. Brilliant. COYR ?

Thankfully I wasn't in Leeds at the time as had come home the day before, if i had been in Leeds I'd have probably got my head kicked in. Remember me watching it on my laptop my mum listening to it on the radio and both going crazy... Luckily the neighbours were understanding and even texted us congratulations. Don't think i got to sleep until about 5.00am and just kept replaying it over and over.... Spent the next week trying to get tickets and came up trumps with a few days to go. It's in the top 3 games since I've been a Derby fan.... the others being play off semi at home vs southampton and 10 men vs forest both of which i was at. 

Was at the first leg, and had to share a train back to Leeds after the match with hundreds of gloating, drunk Dirty Leeds fans. Watched the second leg at a Palace supporting mate's house in Pudsey. My heart sank when they took the lead, even more so when Holmes went off, but when Jack scored, the mood changed instantly. The rest of the evening was a blur, but I remember driving back home through Leeds, laughing out the window at lots of Leeds fans heading home from the pubs. I can't even begin to describe how I felt going into work in the centre of Leeds the day after. Never have my work colleagues been so quiet. Will never forget that match.

32 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

My heart sank when they took the lead, even more so when Holmes went off, but when Jack scored, the mood changed instantly

Exactly that. I just remember thinking at half time, something's happening here....

What a game, I drove up from hertfordshire with very little expectation and nearly ended up having to kip in my car or call up my mate who lives near manchester to stay over as I didn’t feel capable of driving 160 miles home whilst that high on adrenaline? will never forget that night

That 2nd half was brilliant, the celebrations at the end, Derby players singing Que sera and miming binoculars.....the  TV close ups of the Leeds fans faces.......wow......

The dirties never forgave us for winning the title in 1972, I'm glad this generation got ducked over by the Mighty Rams as well.

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We were doing the bounce as the players ran in for half time. That’s when I had a similar feeling.

I was watching it in the Toyota Suite at Pride Park. I remember when Marriott scored his first very calmly saying ‘game on’. I just knew.

I am not ashamed to say that after he scored his second, I was laughing at close ups of young Leeds fans crying ?

First time I've fully watched that back and I don't think I could ever get bored of watching that. Real Roy of the Rovers stuff. Mason Mounts goal still amazes me and I've seen that back a few times. Very few players worldwide would be able to muster the technique to execute it like he did. Great player with a great attitude. Would love to see him back at Pride Park one day. Doubt it will happen except in an opposing teams shirt. 

Took plenty of abuse at work after the first leg, got 'Stop Crying your Heart Out' played numerous times. They were loving it

Away allocation sold out predictably but saw a post on here day before game saying 20 or so had been returned but you had to pick up from PP. Got on website 5 mins before tickets were released, bought one, told boss I was taking afternoon off, jumped on a train to Derby & got to ticket office 15 mins before it closed.

Felt I had to be there to show some sort of defiance, we'd lost 3 times to them already last season & was sick of us being so bloody weak. Also had a funny feeling with Leeds' reputation for collapses (including that season) that if we could get a foothold, we could turn the tie around.

Even though they scored first, you could feel how devastating Marriott's equaliser was on the night to them. Was just before half time, players then went off right next to the bouncing, singing away end...Leeds looked shell shocked. I knew then we were right back in it & so did they. The second half was just glorious & ramming their cockiness back down their throats absolutely magical. Lampard dancing on the pitch, their South stand going mental, their toy town scarves chucked on the pitch...couldn't have scripted it better.

Best bit though, getting to work following morning. Folk were actually hiding...me & the other Derby fan at work absolutely rinsed them all day. How I didnt get sacked or thumped I'll never know ?

I said to my lads on the way up “if we go through tonight this will be one of those matches you’ll never forget “. 
It was one of those games that explains what football is all about. I went through every emotion possible during that game ending on the highest point of euphoria possible. 

Archived