Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just postpone Euros and finish season off whenever it's safe again. Maybe play twice a week in June and July with next season starting in August.

39 minutes ago, David said:

This season will be completed before the next starts, no matter how long it takes.

Euro2020 will be pushed back a year to allow domestic leagues to be completed.

Liverpool will win the Premier League and Leeds unfortunately will be promoted. 

Well if you believe the current hype, this will still be rife for around 10 to 12 months. If they are halting games now, I can't see them deciding to finish the season from about Jan next year.

48 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

FFS, what am I going to do on Saturday nights now there's no MOTD to watch?  Talk to my Mrs???

In all seriousness, it's about time.  I wonder why the Premier League & EFL took so long to take these precautions ?

rich pay day GIF

Probably because only yesterday the government and Chief Medical Officer said they could see no reason at this stage to postpone sporting fixtures?

Just now, Patrick Rams said:

Why Bournemouth particularly?

Because they're in the bottom 3 on goal difference, level on points with 2 other teams. To relegate someone who could easily get out of that position without the games being played would be incredibly unfair.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because they're in the bottom 3 on goal difference, level on points with 2 other teams. To relegate someone who could easily get out of that position without the games being played would be incredibly unfair.

I agree it would be very unfair... particularly for Aston Villa... only 2 points behind with a game in hand....

I thought said said in the rules if the league it's cancelled the season is null and void. You would hope the EFL would have rules covering this but such a tinpot organisation who knows. 

Thing is watching a news item in Canada this top virus expert was suggesting this will roll on for 9 months to a year so when will things restart? 

1 minute ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Could they postpone until the start of next season, assuming they can’t complete it before June, then have a break then play a revised shorter 20/21 season?

Yep, this makes sense, although one of the wrinkles could be the Sky and BT TV deals.

10 minutes ago, Yani P said:

I thought said said in the rules if the league it's cancelled the season is null and void. You would hope the EFL would have rules covering this but such a tinpot organisation who knows. 

Yep, let's hope the EFL deal with this incisively. Especially with the EFMel waiting in the wings to take their place.

With all this uncertainty about the future of football at the moment, I bet Pride Park Stadium is pretty much worthless.  No games.  No gatherings.  It's pretty much useless!  Can't be worth much more than a million or so?

OK, It's a gamble, but perhaps now would be a good time for DCFC to buy it back from the current owners?

32 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Is it unfair? GD is a factor in league position so if they went down because of it then tough 'cos thems the rules. If that argument about GD is valid then you could say the same about points. i.e. someone else could 'easily' get out of that position by losing less ? 

Just now, Raich Van Carter said:

Is it unfair? GD is a factor in league position so if they went down because of it then tough 'cos thems the rules. If that argument about GD is valid then you could say the same about points. i.e. someone else could 'easily' get out of that position by losing less ? 

Yes? GD is a factor at the end of the season, but in the Prem if you've had a harder run of games, and then before you get your easy fixtures you get put down by one goal despite having plenty of games to get you out of it, how is that not unfair? Strength of schedule is a real factor here.

Archived