Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

With all this uncertainty about the future of football at the moment, I bet Pride Park Stadium is pretty much worthless.  No games.  No gatherings.  It's pretty much useless!  Can't be worth much more than a million or so?

OK, It's a gamble, but perhaps now would be a good time for DCFC to buy it back from the current owners?

buy It back and sell it for a massive profit once this has all blown over ( subject to independent valuations of course)

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just postpone Euros and finish season off whenever it's safe again. Maybe play twice a week in June and July with next season starting in August.

The players need time off, they can't just continue to play them until next summer

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes? GD is a factor at the end of the season, but in the Prem if you've had a harder run of games, and then before you get your easy fixtures you get put down by one goal despite having plenty of games to get you out of it, how is that not unfair? Strength of schedule is a real factor here.

But who says they have or haven't had a harder run of games? What is a harder run of games 'cos it's not just down to the team you're playing - it's their form, their injuries, etc. And the same applies to points as it does to GD so no difference on that score me 'owd.

It is what is it at this stage of the season. Of course it's fairer to have the season played out to smooth out those factors but this is where they're at today so if today is the end of the season then they're down on performance to date.

And I don't like Bournemouth ?

Just now, Raich Van Carter said:

But who says they have or haven't had a harder run of games? What is a harder run of games 'cos it's not just down to the team you're playing - it's their form, their injuries, etc. And the same applies to points as it does to GD so no difference on that score me 'owd.

It is what is it at this stage of the season. Of course it's fairer to have the season played out to smooth out those factors but this is where they're at today so if today is the end of the season then they're down on performance to date.

And I don't like Bournemouth ?

If you play more top teams than the teams around you have, your GD would be worse. The fact is, Bournemouth would have a legitimate case to feel aggrieved if they were put down on goal difference with so many games still left. How can that be right? If it was Forest or Leeds, I'd still feel the same whilst laughing at them. Villa haven't even played the same amount of games as the other teams, do they get put down too? I don't see there being any way you can relegate these teams without the games being played.

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

No, and leeds and wba won't be either but the fact is there are still enough points for the teams behind to catch them.

There'll be legal challenges coming out all the place for the EFL to deal with - and they've already got enough of those to deal with right now !!!

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If you play more top teams than the teams around you have, your GD would be worse. The fact is, Bournemouth would have a legitimate case to feel aggrieved if they were put down on goal difference with so many games still left. How can that be right? If it was Forest or Leeds, I'd still feel the same whilst laughing at them. Villa haven't even played the same amount of games as the other teams, do they get put down too? I don't see there being any way you can relegate these teams without the games being played.

Mate, the point you're missing is that the other teams below them may have played, for example, Man City, Liverpool and an in-form Everton. Whereas Bournemouth played Norwich, Brighton and Everton early in the season where they weren't in form so had an 'advantage'. There are so many factors and GD is one of many bud. Like I said, it is what it is. Of course it's wrong but the points position is equally distorted as GD. 

I suspect they'll prob play behind doors for what it's worth. 

1 minute ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Mate, the point you're missing is that the other teams below them may have played, for example, Man City, Liverpool and an in-form Everton. Whereas Bournemouth played Norwich, Brighton and Everton early in the season where they weren't in form so had an 'advantage'. There are so many factors and GD is one of many bud. Like I said, it is what it is. Of course it's wrong but the points position is equally distorted as GD. 

I suspect they'll prob play behind doors for what it's worth. 

Agree with the bolded, which is why you can't relegate them or any other club. I don't think they can play behind closed doors when players and managers are starting to contract the virus.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Agree with the bolded, which is why you can't relegate them or any other club. I don't think they can play behind closed doors when players and managers are starting to contract the virus.

So the magic answer is...? 

Edited to add : For the players and managers the symptoms are likely to be similar to a cold. Everyone's going to get it anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Duracell said:

They have to finish playing this season - no matter when that is. Other solutions can be worked around. The Euros can be cancelled, and we can have a delayed break.

Maybe 20/21 season should be just play everyone once.

Only if we play every game at home

18 minutes ago, Duracell said:

They have to finish playing this season - no matter when that is. Other solutions can be worked around. The Euros can be cancelled, and we can have a delayed break.

Maybe 20/21 season should be just play everyone once.

Home or away?

It all depends on how long it takes to get this under control. I can envisage three possible scenarios which are realistic. 

1) the league finishes as it stands (this would be extremely unlikely and could only see it happening in a very peculiar set of circumstances) 

2) We finish the league and try to reset the calendar which would have had to have been done for the 2022 world cup anyway. 

3) The season is null and void and we go again in August with a clean slate for everyone. 

With the Euros it wouldn't surprise me if they were simply cancelled altogether. Playing them in 2021 with world cup qualifiers starting in march 2021 seems illogical and not very feasible especially for the smaller nations who rely upon a couple of core players to do well. Cancelling the Euros this time around and simply not doing qualifiers for the next tournament in 2026 seems the easiest route of it. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Rams said:

I agree it would be very unfair... particularly for Aston Villa... only 2 points behind with a game in hand....

Yeah but Villa don't count.

Seriously though, if this situation is anticipated to continue for at least another 3 months then whatever is decided is going to be unfair on some clubs. The 'least unfair' decision would be to scrap this season altogether so every club starts in the same division they were in back in August - obviously there'll be winners and losers but that's life.

Sadly, unless there is some financial assistance from the mega-rich Premier League (for which i won't hold my breath) I can see a number of clubs going to the wall - no gate receipts coming in to play wages etc.

I love my football but no way do I expect or even think that the Government should help out - there's far more important things they need to be prioritising.

13 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It all depends on how long it takes to get this under control. I can envisage three possible scenarios which are realistic. 

1) the league finishes as it stands (this would be extremely unlikely and could only see it happening in a very peculiar set of circumstances) 

2) We finish the league and try to reset the calendar which would have had to have been done for the 2022 world cup anyway. 

3) The season is null and void and we go again in August with a clean slate for everyone. 

With the Euros it wouldn't surprise me if they were simply cancelled altogether. Playing them in 2021 with world cup qualifiers starting in march 2021 seems illogical and not very feasible especially for the smaller nations who rely upon a couple of core players to do well. Cancelling the Euros this time around and simply not doing qualifiers for the next tournament in 2026 seems the easiest route of it. 

There could be a slight conflict there It's the Womens Euro championships in England from 7 July to 1 August 2021.

Archived