v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watching Man City at Wednesday, they are crap we were 2-0 up at this stage also their strip is clashing with my Pina Colada 

anyway my team for tomorrow    

Hamer

Bogle. Wisdom. Clarke. Forsyth 

Knight            Bird            Rooney.  

waghorn.     Martin.       Lawrence 

put Martin in because we need to try and hold onto the ball, knight for energy, wisdom because I don’t trust Davies on the ball and Bogle because of his speed in attack and he is an outlet 

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

gary lineker can duck off the crisp loving pitch pooping bamford calling us “Wayne Rooney’s Derby”

Last night, it was something along the lines of "Wayne Rooney's Derby County formerly known as Frank Lampard's Derby County..."

He did seem to have a smirk on his face, so all deliberately lighthearted, if I read it right.

At this stage in the competition, against a team like Man United, we need to be playing a full strength side imo - not the reserves like in previous rounds. So I’d go with pretty much the same team that beat Wednesday as it was a terrific performance:

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Lowe

Bird Rooney

Waghorn Lawrence Knight

Martin

Just the one Change with Lowe In for Forsyth - it’s probably not a good idea to have the latter play 3 games in a week, and Man United have a lot of pace on the wings so Forsyth would probably get roasted. Better to have Lowe in there as this is a game for the more “footballing” players in my opinion. 

On paper we are obviously the underdogs, but as always this is the cup - anything can happen. We’ve beaten them before, so we shouldn’t go in with any massive fears - just do our best and see what happens. Regardless, we’ve already done well to reach this point having had to beat palace to get here, so it’s pretty much a free hit anyway. Let’s get at them, and who knows!

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

At this stage in the competition, against a team like Man United, we need to be playing a full strength side imo - not the reserves like in previous rounds. So I’d go with pretty much the same team that beat Wednesday as it was a terrific performance:

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Lowe

Bird Rooney

Waghorn Lawrence Knight

Martin

Just the one Change with Lowe In for Forsyth - it’s probably not a good idea to have the latter play 3 games in a week, and Man United have a lot of pace on the wings so Forsyth would probably get roasted. Better to have Lowe in there as this is a game for the more “footballing” players in my opinion. 

On paper we are obviously the underdogs, but as always this is the cup - anything can happen. We’ve beaten them before, so we shouldn’t go in with any massive fears - just do our best and see what happens. Regardless, we’ve already done well to reach this point having had to beat palace to get here, so it’s pretty much a free hit anyway. Let’s get at them, and who knows!

Do you honest think Cocu would not play his strongest team against Manchester United at a sold out Pride Park? 

I reckon we'll line up as:

Roos

Bogle     Wisdom     Clarke     Lowe

Bird

Knight     Rooney

Waghorn     Martin     Lawrence

Subs: Ravas Davis Forsyth Shinnie Marriott Sibley Whittaker

So of the fit players Malone and Josefzoon would miss out.

If we're going to play out from the back IMHO we have to play Roos and not play Davis. And we are going to play out from the back. There's an argument for not having Fozzy on the bench just to rest him after all the injuries, in which case you could bring Malone onto the bench or see Shinnie as left back cover and have another attacking option in Josefzoon on the bench.

That would mean 5 academy players starting the game (3 eligible for last night's U19 Champions League tie) with 3 more academy players (2 of them eligible for the U19s) on the bench. The future is amazingly bright.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I reckon we'll line up as:

Roos

Bogle     Wisdom     Clarke     Lowe

Bird

Knight     Rooney

Waghorn     Martin     Lawrence

Subs: Ravas Davis Forsyth Shinnie Marriott Sibley Whittaker

So of the fit players Malone and Josefzoon would miss out.

If we're going to play out from the back IMHO we have to play Roos and not play Davis. And we are going to play out from the back. There's an argument for not having Fozzy on the bench just to rest him after all the injuries, in which case you could bring Malone onto the bench or see Shinnie as left back cover and have another attacking option in Josefzoon on the bench.

That would mean 5 academy players starting the game (3 eligible for last night's U19 Champions League tie) with 3 more academy players (2 of them eligible for the U19s) on the bench. The future is amazingly bright.

Maybe my maths is off but...
Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight = 4
Sibley, Whittaker = 2

Who am I missing?

I don't usually care about playing the 'big' clubs, because I go to watch my team and my team alone. 

But the prospect of causing an upset, no matter who we play, is always exciting. United away in the Carabao last season was amazing, and I'm hoping for something similar at home tonight to round off my stint as a North Stander (bought the ticket before I changed my season ticket).

Win this and we've got the best chance we've had of getting to an FA Cup semi final in my life time.

Now I can't wait for tonight.

7 hours ago, Rambam said:

Do you honest think Cocu would not play his strongest team against Manchester United at a sold out Pride Park? 

You remember forest away last year? Anything is possible, but no, I’m pretty sure he will. It’s all we’ve got left to play for realistically.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe my maths is off but...
Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight = 4
Sibley, Whittaker = 2

Who am I missing?

Ravas on the bench, presumably he might be counting Roos somehow.

Roos

bogle wisdom Clarke lowe

Bird.   Rooney   

Sibley 

Knight.               Lawrence    

Marriott 

i just can’t see us starting Martin and waghorn In this one with Blackburn at home on Sunday sibley May start or it will be Shinnie - this is the type of game Marriott has actually turned up for 

I think if he is fit, Forsyth will start ahead of Lowe with the more attacking option open later.

United’s strength is up front and we will need our best defenders.

I also think Shinnie will get the nod over Knight to try to disrupt United’s passing in midfield.

Neither move is that defensive if we move the ball quickly and take a few risks on first time delivery.

I hope the fans are up for it and get the boost they deserve in a rocky season.

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think if he is fit, Forsyth will start ahead of Lowe with the more attacking option open later.

United’s strength is up front and we will need our best defenders.

I also think Shinnie will get the nod over Knight to try to disrupt United’s passing in midfield.

Neither move is that defensive if we move the ball quickly and take a few risks on first time delivery.

I hope the fans are up for it and get the boost they deserve in a rocky season.

United's strength is pace upfront. We play Blackburn on Sunday who will be a lot more direct, so that's the game we'll need Forsyth. Lowe will cope better against their pacey wingers.

Archived