v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

United's strength is pace upfront. We play Blackburn on Sunday who will be a lot more direct, so that's the game we'll need Forsyth. Lowe will cope better against their pacey wingers.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

United's strength is pace upfront. We play Blackburn on Sunday who will be a lot more direct, so that's the game we'll need Forsyth. Lowe will cope better against their pacey wingers.

...except Lowe showed against Bristol City that he can’t block crosses.

Also, don’t forget that Maguire, Matic and co will be at every set piece. We need height and power back there.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Also, don’t forget that Maguire, Matic and co will be at every set piece. We need height and power back there.

Did Forsyth stop a single cross against Sheffield Wednesday? 18 crosses came in from Palmer and Murphy, including the one for the goal. Lowe blocks more shots, crosses and passes than Forsyth (2.2 per 90 vs 0.8), and also intercepts 50% more often. even Bogle blocks crosses more regularly. You could possibly argue that Forsyth's positioning is better which usually results in fewer crosses coming in... but that certainly wasn't the case last weekend. Forsyth's main strength is heading those crosses away - Igahlo, Greenwood and Mata have won a combined 5 headers between them all season. Any other forwards than may field against us isn't much better in the air. This is not the game we need Forsyth for.

59 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

100 percent agree

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Did Forsyth stop a single cross against Sheffield Wednesday? 18 crosses came in from Palmer and Murphy, including the one for the goal. Lowe blocks more shots, crosses and passes than Forsyth (2.2 per 90 vs 0.8), and also intercepts 50% more often. even Bogle blocks crosses more regularly. You could possibly argue that Forsyth's positioning is better which usually results in fewer crosses coming in... but that certainly wasn't the case last weekend. Forsyth's main strength is heading those crosses away - Igahlo, Greenwood and Mata have won a combined 5 headers between them all season. Any other forwards than may field against us isn't much better in the air. This is not the game we need Forsyth for.

Why do you think Lowe is so good. 

He goes into tackles with his wrong foot to block crosses. 

15 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Just watching Man City at Wednesday, they are crap we were 2-0 up at this stage also their strip is clashing with my Pina Colada 

anyway my team for tomorrow    

Hamer

Bogle. Wisdom. Clarke. Forsyth 

Knight            Bird            Rooney.  

waghorn.     Martin.       Lawrence 

put Martin in because we need to try and hold onto the ball, knight for energy, wisdom because I don’t trust Davies on the ball and Bogle because of his speed in attack and he is an outlet 

That’s our best 11 at the moment.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Why do you think Lowe is so good. 

He goes into tackles with his wrong foot to block crosses. 

Yet his 'wrong foot' still blocks more crosses than any other full back we have. In fact, there aren't many fullbacks who blocked more crosses tin the whole league. He's 7th overall, with all but 1 of them playing in more games.

He's our best LB for playing out from the back - passing it out, dribbling, playing the ball in to dangerous areas. He's also very good at the defensive side of his game, especially in reading play to either put a tackle in or cutting out a pass.

The stats back me up... Compare him with out other LBs (per 90):
Most tackles, best tackle success, and by far the most interceptions.
2nd to Buchanan on blocks, and 3rd to Forsyth and Malone on clearances.
Most dribbles, 2nd to Malone on dribble success.
Most passes, most accurate passer (short and long), most key passes per game.
Most crosses, 2nd to Forsyth on cross accuracy.
Most headers won, 3rd to Buchanan and Forsyth on headers won %.

I might be completely wrong, but this gives the impression that Ole doesn't really have a detailed knowledge of Rooney's role in our team. He only mentions his passing ability from deep at the end of his time at United, and doesn't make a direct reference to what he does here. He also implies that Rooney will be in and around the box, which he definitely won't be 95% of the time.

Has he done all the proper analysis? Are they taking it easy?

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

I suspect Lowe is close to the top of that list if minutes played are taken into account?

Matt Grimes averages 3 tackles won per game.

Lowe averages almost 4, so I suspect so, yes.

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I suspect Lowe is close to the top of that list if minutes played are taken into account?

Matt Grimes - 3240 mins

Kristian Pedersen - 3240 mins

Mahlon Romeo - 3113 mins

Matty Cash - 2984 mins

Joe Bryan - 2825 mins

Lewis Travis - 2797 mins

Max Lowe - 2024 mins

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Out of those listed he's streets ahead - 4.09 per 90 vs the next best of 3.03. His success rate of 80% is also the highest (just).

In the league overall (and excluding those with just a few minutes here and there) he's 3rd - Stewart (Hull) tackles 4.87 times with a success rate of 70.5% and Sow (Forest) tackles 4.57 times with a 70% success rate. Both paly as DMs though.

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Predicted United team: Romero; Williams, Maguire, Bailly, Dalot; McTominay, Pereira; Greenwood, Lingard, Mata; Ighalo. 

Derby beats that team IMO, especially at Fortress Park. 

high basketball wives GIF by VH1

Archived