v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Yes it was. Forsyth is a far better left back than Max Lowe.

Debatable. Remember 2 months ago everyone saying how amazing Max Lowe is since his loan spell last year. Dips in form don’t change your ability. Wasn’t long ago everyone hated Forsyth. Not forgetting Max Lowe is early 20s and can still improve. He’s our starting left back next season. Get used to it. 

Saw the team sheet and I was disappointed with the centre half pairing. Clarke and Evans i would’ve understood but to put Fozzy in there who had been terrible up to Christmas in that position, between them I think they both cost us in the second and third goals. However play wisdom and Clarke would it have been much different, maybe? Maybe not? Would it have changed the result - absolutely not! Outclassed (at times) by a far superior team that as someone has pointed out, even that team cost £310m!! Let’s put it in context! 

I say outclassed at times because the first half hour we were excellent and with a bit of luck couldve been ahead, they were rattled. Goals change games against the top teams, they scored a fluke and then get a quick second and the game is over. They can do what they want then with the talent at their disposal. We didn’t let our heads drop we went at them, we deserved a goal tonight and I personally think the 3-0 score line was harsh, don’t get those saying we were miles off, they scored at the right times, the first goal was key and they got it with a fluke. It was always going to be difficult from that moment on.

Huge positives moving forward, bird Knight sibley are going to be some players, Bogle (while not his best at the moment) is decent as is Lowe. Whittaker just needs to start believing in himself because he’s got the physique the pace and the talent, he’s got to believe he can go and own games if he does that he could also have a half decent career.

Genuinely think Sibley will rip up the championship next season! Love his directness and aggression.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Saw the team sheet and I was disappointed with the centre half pairing. Clarke and Evans i would’ve understood but to put Fozzy in there who had been terrible up to Christmas in that position, between them I think they both cost us in the second and third goals. However play wisdom and Clarke would it have been much different, maybe? Maybe not? Would it have changed the result - absolutely not! Outclassed (at times) by a far superior team that as someone has pointed out, even that team cost £310m!! Let’s put it in context! 

I say outclassed at times because the first half hour we were excellent and with a bit of luck couldve been ahead, they were rattled. Goals change games against the top teams, they scored a fluke and then get a quick second and the game is over. They can do what they want then with the talent at their disposal. We didn’t let our heads drop we went at them, we deserved a goal tonight and I personally think the 3-0 score line was harsh, don’t get those saying we were miles off, they scored at the right times, the first goal was key and they got it with a fluke. It was always going to be difficult from that moment on.

Huge positives moving forward, bird Knight sibley are going to be some players, Bogle (while not his best at the moment) is decent as is Lowe. Whittaker just needs to start believing in himself because he’s got the physique the pace and the talent, he’s got to believe he can go and own games if he does that he could also have a half decent career.

Genuinely think Sibley will rip up the championship next season! Love his directness and aggression.

Good summary. Fair and balanced. 

Just now, Srg said:

Debatable. Remember 2 months ago everyone saying how amazing Max Lowe is since his loan spell last year. Dips in form don’t change your ability. Wasn’t long ago everyone hated Forsyth. Not forgetting Max Lowe is early 20s and can still improve. He’s our starting left back next season. Get used to it. 

Well I wasn’t saying any of that. Forsyth is a better full back than Lowe. He defends far better and we look far more solid with him there. Max Lowe may or may not end up improving in the future, who knows, unfortunately this game was played tonight and not in two year’s time.

I also don’t  quite understand why I have to ‘get used to’ Max Lowe playing al left back next year. Not sure what the relevance of that comment is. 

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Thought Fozzy and Evans were OK today. First half hour looked pretty strong. Maybe second goal could have been defended better, weak tackling. Third? We weren't tracking runners. Don't know whose fault it was. Think it would be harsh to hammer the centre backs today. Thought the danger could have been averted before all goals. Just thought Man U had too much quality. Rooney would still get in their side though.

I'm not interested in talking about the team selection. I would've liked a centre back, but I'm not going to cry into my Cocu pops about it. I will say, however, that I didn't pay to go and watch it. 

Cocu's main priority HAS to be developing the young players we have in the team. It's the only way that this team gets out the clutches of the football league. I'll take a loss against United and a breakthrough Sibley appearance every single day of the week. I can't stress that enough. 

We need additional quality to compete at the top level of the Championship, nevermind the competing with United. I thought they played well tonight too, which led to a lot of breaks. The first goal was a scuffed shot into the ground and the final two were scored from rebounds. We were able to get into similar positions and have chances but not put them away.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

For those digging out Lowe, he was excellent first half. Partly at fault with Fozzy for the second goal, struggled a bit second half but was always going to be a tough night for him with the way United overload the flanks.

I wouldn't say Lowe was excellent in the first half, before the first goal he almost gifted Man Utd a goal and was generally a bit sloppy in possession.

Two of the youngsters that played tonight, have played in a number of games between them in the last few weeks. So I'm not sure why some fans are questioning the team selection for tonight. Other than the two centre backs, who did no better or no worse than many other of the centre back pairings that we've fielded. The only player with no first team experience in tonight's game was Sibley. Who certainly didn't let himself or the side down.

So who else could have started in midfield for tonights game? Besides Shinnie. Who else is available to fill a midfield role?

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No. I'm not saying that at all, but I'm saying they're the best we have NOW. I can understand rotating to allow some of our talented players of the future some game time, but to stick in some mediocre Championship players instead of our first teamers is a bit daft init? 

I wouldn’t say the either of the CB’s were at fault for any of the goals. You would point the finger at other players first. I would argue that our current crop of centre backs are all mediocre save for the odd performance. Bit harsh on Fozzy as he is prob our best left back and defensively Wisdom our best right back. In fact Evans is probably best suited to our style of play out of them all and that says it all.  

Just now, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Well I wasn’t saying any of that. Forsyth is a better full back than Lowe. He defends far better and we look far more solid with him there. Max Lowe may or may not end up improving in the future, who knows, unfortunately this game was played tonight and not in two year’s time.

I also don’t  quite understand why I have to ‘get used to’ Max Lowe playing al left back next year. Not sure what the relevance of that comment is. 

I was saying that.

Max Lowe’s pace was our best attacking outlet for the majority of the game, forcing Mata to go the wrong way who’s one of the few Man Utd players who doesn’t have pace or the will to defend. 

Cocu made the decision tactically on that front, and can’t see how Forsyth would’ve been a better fit for that job. 

The game was played tonight, but no one is going to improve through not playing and if you think that Man Utd team wouldn’t trot out against any team in this division with £100millions worth of players and win comfortably 99 times out of 100 then I don’t know what to tell you, other than Forsyth playing left back would not have changed a thing. 

The purpose of telling you to prepare for Lowe is because the type of short termism you displayed in the rest of your comments is what has lead to some of the chronically bad recruitment decisions over the past 5 or 6 years. 

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I wouldn’t say the either of the CB’s were at fault for any of the goals. You would point the finger at other players first. I would argue that our current crop of centre backs are all mediocre save for the odd performance. Bit harsh on Fozzy as he is prob our best left back and defensively Wisdom our best right back. In fact Evans is probably best suited to our style of play out of them all and that says it all.  

The second goal definitely was on rewatch. Piss poor defending. The first should have been dealt with much better too. Fozzy is a good left back, but not a centre half. Evans was lumping it quite a bit at times.

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Perfectly put.

30 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Does Cocu know is best team yet ? No consistency in his selection why change things every match ?

Fitness, tactics, form, player development, league programme

you know, the sort of things managers know about and weigh up on a  daily based on evidence and first hand knowledge 

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Two of the youngsters that played tonight, have played in a number of games between them in the last few weeks. So I'm not sure why some fans are questioning the team selection for tonight. Other than the two centre backs, who did no better or no worse than many other of the centre back pairings that we've fielded. The only player with no team experience in tonight's game was Sibley. Who certainly didn't let himself or the side down.

So who else could have started in midfield for tonights game? Besides Shinnie. Who else is available to fill a midfield role?

Yes that's what confused me about all the complainants contacting Radio Derby about Cocu "picking the youngsters" rather than our best team.

We made 4 changes, Roos for Hamer (meh), Evans & Lowe for Clarke & Wisdom and Sibley for Martin.

So the reality was that we chose ONE young player to replace an assumed first choice player and that young player was the MOTM.

If people can't work out why Cocu might choose Sibley over Martin in a particular game then they are beyond help.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The second goal definitely was on rewatch. Piss poor defending. The first should have been dealt with much better too. Fozzy is a good left back, but not a centre half. Evans was lumping it quite a bit at times.

Which is no bad thing, it’s okay playing from the back but there are times when you just need to clear your lines. 

I didn't think individually the CBs played at all bad, certainly not Evans who stood up to quite a bit, but it looked like an unbalanced thrown together mess at times. 

It takes me back to Tomori and Bogle at the beginning of last season. It was obvious both had ability and didn't necessarily play badly as individuals but it look really disjointed for a long time. Keogh bailed both out countless times and both players developed towards the end of the season. Evans and Forsyth felt just as disjointed, especially as Lowe and Bogle tried to be as attacking as usual. 

I wouldn't mind Evans playing CB in the future, but Forsyth does seem to struggle. Clarke and Evans would've been better for us.

Archived