v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Clarke and Wisdom/Davies aren't perfect, but they're better than what we had out there tonight. Fozzy and Evans are not our future, why are we playing them ahead of the centre halves we have been using in the league, other than injury/fitness? I can totally understand playing young players, the centre half choice is baffling, though.

I’m not sure how the CB’s who shipped three against the likes of Luton, etc are suddenly going to not ship three against manure.

They actually did ok, nothing special but ok and I’m not sure why the are getting dug out when Wisdom, Clarke or Davies would have faced the same problems of players coming in off the overloaded flanks or breaking past the defensive midfield shield!

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their quality was always going to tell in spells, and they largely took advantage. I thought the whole team, and especially the young players, did themselves and us proud. You don't cause a cup upset without a bit of run of the ball, and we got none. The kids all had bits and pieces where they were taking the game to the world's richest club...bodes very, very well.  Could have lost 6-0, but equally deserved a goal and if we'd nicked one, you never know...especially before the 3rd went in.

I'll just add, I loathe manchester utd.  Hate losing to them. I hope they go horribly wrong at Norwich in the quarters and finish outside the top 6. Also. a nasty coach crash on the way home and a virulent case of the thrup'ny bits in the camp.

Just now, Ramfan1958 said:

Does Cocu know is best team yet ? No consistency in his selection why change things every match ?

Because the squad is mostly pap which can’t do what’s needed and he’s preparing for next year. 

7 minutes ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

Is the club expecting a points deduction this season? If so then Sunday's game is far more important and that explains the team selection. 

We've had a good cup run so now let's bag as many points as we can! 

Probably not expecting them but the quicker we can get to 65 points the better, just in case. Can't be deducted more than 12 given the circumstances, that should be enough

I think tonight's team selection was more about next season's line up than anything. Sibley will be a starter & I suspect Evans will play a lot at CB. Why not give them time in a massively competitive environment to see how they get on?

Just now, Ramarena said:

I’m not sure how the CB’s who shipped three against the likes of Luton, etc are suddenly going to not ship three against manure.

They actually did ok, nothing special but ok and I’m not sure why the are getting dug out when Wisdom, Clarke or Davies would have faced the same problems of players coming in off the overloaded flanks or breaking past the defensive midfield shield!

Because it's been proven time and time again Forsyth isn't a good centre half. We have loads and loads of evidence for it. Evans maybe you'd wanna see more, but Forsyth isn't good enough at centre half to be played there vs Man Utd. They didn't really do ok, the first two goals for me are from poor defending from the centre halves, not watched them back though. 

Ah, so because they conceded three against Luton, means they'll concede three vs others? But they only conceded one to Wednesday at the weekend... weird point, nonsensical.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Because it's been proven time and time again Forsyth isn't a good centre half. We have loads and loads of evidence for it. Evans maybe you'd wanna see more, but Forsyth isn't good enough at centre half to be played there vs Man Utd. They didn't really do ok, the first two goals for me are from poor defending from the centre halves, not watched them back though. 

Ah, so because they conceded three against Luton, means they'll concede three vs others? But they only conceded one to Wednesday at the weekend... weird point, nonsensical.

Fozzy was MoM first game back at centre back.

34 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Rolled over, had out bellies tickled, without them having to play any of their decent players. 
miles away. 

£60m January signing in midfield with £50m signing from previous summer. 

2 £30m centre backs plus Argentina’s number 1 but none of their good players ? it’s laughable man. 

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

If the players don't show themselves to be capable of dealing with a variety of different situations you have to swap them out accordingly 

We could have put out the same team every week (well, no, we couldn't, but don't let that stop people complaining about changes) and been the most predictable team in the league, but without a better quality squad than the one we've got,  being predictable isn't a good thing, it wouldn't translate to "they know what we're going to do, but they're not good enough to stop us" territory. It would more likely translate to us being really bloody easy for everyone to play against and even more dropped points. 

I get that if you have a squad that you can adjust ‘accordingly’ to a situation tactically.
To me Cocu makes changes for the sake of making changes, not because he’s a master tactician.   Play the Cocu kids for the rest of the season, we’ve nothing to lose now and they get great experience. 

21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Clarke and Wisdom/Davies aren't perfect, but they're better than what we had out there tonight. Fozzy and Evans are not our future, why are we playing them ahead of the centre halves we have been using in the league, other than injury/fitness? I can totally understand playing young players, the centre half choice is baffling, though.

Are you saying that 34 (35 this month) year old Davies and on loan Clarke are our future? Evans could offer a decent option in time at CB as he can play football which suits Cocu’s style so giving him minutes between now and the end of the season might not be a bad idea. 

The defensive partnership for me was disappointing and Cocu doesn’t respect the cups and this doesn’t respect the fans.

On the positive side - Sibley is excellent and needs to start getting league action now. We’re going to finish midtable so let’s blood him into games so he can become close to a regular next year.

Still think Whittaker will be L1/L2 for his whole career, same with Lowe long term.

Just now, ollycutts1982 said:

Are you saying that 34 (35 this month) year old Davies and on loan Clarke are our future? Evans could offer a decent option in time at CB as he can play football which suits Cocu’s style so giving him minutes between now and the end of the season might not be a bad idea. 

No. I'm not saying that at all, but I'm saying they're the best we have NOW. I can understand rotating to allow some of our talented players of the future some game time, but to stick in some mediocre Championship players instead of our first teamers is a bit daft init? 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Your point is just as nonsensical in fairness. Our options at centre back are pants. That’s a fact. We have a list as long as your arm if errors for all of them, none of them are suddenly world beaters because they didn’t play. Equally, the ones that did weren’t particularly bad. Cocu clearly likes a left footer at left centre back, and he wanted a look at Evans - who I think has a bit of promise there if he wasn’t made of glass. 

Man Utd had too much quality for us. I still can’t comprehend why we would change a team that played our best football of the season, arguably, only 5 days previously. 

Deliberately weakening a team seems a bizarre thing to do to me. We weakened ourselves at left back and centre half for no apparent reason. I don’t really understand why when we have nothing else to play for. I also don’t understand why so many of you seem quite happy with that decision as well. 

I enjoyed Sibley’s performance. Just a shame no one managed to lay a proper one on McTominay, who can only be described as a cheating, mardy twit. 

All 3 of Man Utd's goals at a lot of good fortune about them.  The first was freakish.  The better side won, no complaints, but I thought the scoreline was a bit harsh.

Our lads gave it a go, and it was great to see so many Academy players on the pitch at the same time and look competent against Premier League opposition. Next season could be a really good one. 

Just now, Srg said:

Your point is just as nonsensical in fairness. Our options at centre back are pants. That’s a fact. We have a list as long as your arm if errors for all of them, none of them are suddenly world beaters because they didn’t play. Equally, the ones that did weren’t particularly bad. Cocu clearly likes a left footer at left centre back, and he wanted a look at Evans - who I think has a bit of promise there if he wasn’t made of glass. 

I don't think so. Clarke's a better centre half than Fozzy. He makes a lot of mistakes, and isn't brilliant, but he is better. Changing both of them, and playing without a natural centre back is just a weird decision. 

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Man Utd had too much quality for us. I still can’t comprehend why we would change a team that played our best football of the season, arguably, only 5 days previously. 

Deliberately weakening a team seems a bizarre thing to do to me. We weakened ourselves at left back and centre half for no apparent reason. I don’t really understand why when we have nothing else to play for. I also don’t understand why so many of you seem quite happy with that decision as well. 

I enjoyed Sibley’s performance. Just a shame no one managed to lay a proper one on McTominay, who can only be described as a cheating, mardy twit. 

Wasn’t weaker anywhere but centre back. 

Apart from the score line I enjoyed it and walked home with a spring in my step. The CB choice made no difference at all, I reckon both of them played pretty well against some multi million pound firepower. Yes we gave the ball away a bit and there were a few stray passes and unforced errors but the team bust a gut, looked dangerous at times, made their keeper work and we played proper football. Take out Rooney, Waghorn and Fozzie and the average age of the rest must be about 22. You could buy the lot for less than Bruno Fernandez. 

We gave them a game, I guess they had another gear which showed in patches in the second half as a swarm of flies playing 1-2’s in our box gave my sphincter muscles a work out but brilliant experience for our young guns. Martin, Clarke, Wisdom ? Really .. would they honestly have made a difference to the final outcome .. I don’t think so and the bonus for me is that Sibley is now a fully fledged first team player. That was a right of passage for him and he got through it with flying colours .. oh yes and we deserved a goal, but that’s football. 

I can see Tweirk and George at CB next season .. then there is Lowe and Bogle .. and experience old boys on standby 

we have Holmes, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie and Rooney making a high quality midfield squad 

All those players, Rooney apart, are going to improve 

If you can be disappointed but happy at the same time .. then that’s me tonight. 

Archived