Coronavirus

1of4

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

And 1% of the world population is a little over 72,000,000 people ?

that would be assuming that eveybody catches it - it is 1% of people who catch it

I am pretty sure it kills 0% of people who don't

But I am no expert

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Isn't that the point though? You're still not well today but are planning on going back into work tomorrow with vulnerable people even though you will still be contagious? That's what spreads anything around. 

Exactly. That’s my point. I don’t understand why there’s not testing for people in that situation. If I’ve just had a normal, seasonal bug then I need to go back to work as soon as I’m well and just get on with it. On the other hand, if I have had this new and highly contagious virus that no one has any immunity to then I need to stay out of circulation for long enough that I’m not a risk to anyone.

However, I can’t be tested as I don’t meet the criteria. It’s crazy.

18 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Isn't that the point though? You're still not well today but are planning on going back into work tomorrow with vulnerable people even though you will still be contagious? That's what spreads anything around. 

You can blame normal sick leave protocol for that one. Back in 2010 I had three months of crap health, basically a throat abcess followed by Campilabacta poisoning a few weeks later. This resulted in 10 huge days of sick leave .  My wife had suspected Swine Flu in the summer of 2010 and the GP advised that per protocol, I shouldn't go into work.  My choice, per work was as I had no symptoms it would have to be annual leave. if I was ill I would go over an absence trigger and have a warning.  I took the time as sick and had to go to my union to have the warning expunged from my record.

Working for the majority of places has become a black or white hotbed when it comes to sick leave over the last 15 years.  That's why you'll continue to see a decrease in antibiotic capability, in mental health and half the country with this virus in the next few months. No-one dares have time off . Every advert you see on telly for cough and cold remedies generally depicts some one sneezing at a bus stop or coughing a lung up at a work desk. It's there number one demographic.

We should take things a step further and actively spread Coronavirus until its death numbers beat those and we can worry less about them.

Sith Happens

I reckon if im going to catch it it wont be in the open air at a football match, it will be at work n an environment with other people sneezing, coughing on surfaces etc there.....

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Its not uncommon for people to say the Millennium Bug turned out to be a non issue, having worked in IT at the time it was very far from being a non issue, it was only a non issue because of the work done to prevent it being so.

Correct - although it wan't called "Risk Management" in the 1990s and you didn't have "Chief Risk Officers" (of which I m now one) that is EXACTLY what was done with the millenium bug (which wasn't a bug so much as a latent issue in lots of code that was developed years before when storage was very expensive and 2 digits made a difference in a date field).

@Ram8 I have merged your Coronavirus topic with the one in our off topic area as it’s straying into a conversation that’s not specific to Derby County.

Just wanted to let you know so you didn’t think it had been pulled.

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Correct - although it wan't called "Risk Management" in the 1990s and you didn't have "Chief Risk Officers" (of which I m now one) that is EXACTLY what was done with the millenium bug (which wasn't a bug so much as a latent issue in lots of code that was developed years before when storage was very expensive and 2 digits made a difference in a date field).

True...where i worked it was called 'Paul, you know about computers can you sort us out for Y2K'

The media didn't help, because as usual they published scare stories, planes falling from the sky and so on....and when nothing of note happened people complained it was all a fuss about nothing. I do recall one particularly stubborn bloke in our office complaining because i was upgrading his system, applying patches etc, saying 'if its not broke dont fix it' yet would no doubt be the first to moan if it hadnt worked on the 01/01/2000.

Its a bit like that with Coronavirus, whatever steps that are taken will either not be enough if there is a huge outbreak, but people will complain about an overreaction if its contained without thinking its the measures that stopped it being worse than it ended up.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You can blame normal sick leave protocol for that one. Back in 2010 I had three months of crap health, basically a throat abcess followed by Campilabacta poisoning a few weeks later. This resulted in 10 huge days of sick leave .  My wife had suspected Swine Flu in the summer of 2010 and the GP advised that per protocol, I shouldn't go into work.  My choice, per work was as I had no symptoms it would have to be annual leave. if I was ill I would go over an absence trigger and have a warning.  I took the time as sick and had to go to my union to have the warning expunged from my record.

Working for the majority of places has become a black or white hotbed when it comes to sick leave over the last 15 years.  That's why you'll continue to see a decrease in antibiotic capability, in mental health and half the country with this virus in the next few months. No-one dares have time off . Every advert you see on telly for cough and cold remedies generally depicts some one sneezing at a bus stop or coughing a lung up at a work desk. It's there number one demographic.

Spot on! Its so wrong and doesn't look like changing

I think the next 7 days may tell us what we are really likely to expect here in terms of event closures etc, if the amount of cases go well above expectation then I think only then proper preventative measures will come in to force.

I do think Johnson’s ‘highly likely’ over using a word like ‘imminent’ is somewhat curious though. Makes me think that the advice the govt has been given suggests it’s not going to have too big an impact and they aren’t overly concerned but everyone needs to be aware to stop it spreading.

I'm no Johnson fan, but why on earth were C4 news trying to goad him along the lines of "will you shake hands with foreign dignitaries or risk a diplomatic incident ".

Predictably he waffled to try and get out of it but "misspoke" and no10 had to waste more time issuing a "clarification ".

What a stupid and pointless question tho....

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm no Johnson fan, but why on earth were C4 news trying to goad him along the lines of "will you shake hands with foreign dignitaries or risk a diplomatic incident ".

Predictably he waffled to try and get out of it but "misspoke" and no10 had to waste more time issuing a "clarification ".

What a stupid and pointless question tho....

State of journalism I’m afraid.. Dying art.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

State of journalism I’m afraid.. Dying art.

You've never said a truer word.

Most journalists are now just purveyors of propaganda, carried out at the behest of their rich pay masters.

Archived