Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Tombo said:

It isn't serious for 90% of the population. It's just a flu outbreak like we always have.

That said, it spreads extremely fast and is highly infectious so if you know people who are elderly or vulnerable you are right to be a little concerned.

But the death rate is very low and it's similar again to Swine Flu, and Avian Flu. Which did kill a number of people, tragically, but it didn't bring about the end of our civilisation like some people seem to think.

Standard annual flu kills up to 500,000 each year worldwide. Again this is usually those already with underlying health issues. It is worrying for that particular group of course but no more so than annual flu.Most of us would shrug it off as a heavy cold.

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Lots of cynicism and random dismissal of Millenniumram’s genuine concerns ..

Get real please, what possible alternatives are there for such a serious life threatening event ? Think about it, football or family ?

But it’s not life threatening for the vast majority. Out some perspective on the real issue and work it out from there. If it really was a life threatening virus then obviously sport comes second but do look at the actual issue, not what the Daily Mail says about it

@Millenniumrami hope that makes you feel a bit better mate - I do understand your issues but do try and keep it in context - as hard as that is when you suffer from the issues you mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Lots of cynicism and random dismissal of Millenniumram’s genuine concerns ..

Get real please, what possible alternatives are there for such a serious life threatening event ? Think about it, football or family ? 

And whilst we’re at it, my own credibility is 100% at present. I’m one of only about half a dozen or so on here who has insisted for the past two seasons that Chris Martin has still ‘got it’ and is far and away the best striker and provider of goal chances at the club. 

He proved that with his performance on Saturday, so listen to me please, even though I believe it’s taken Cocu until now to be convinced too ! 

I don’t think anyone is remotely suggesting that football is more important than family. I think most just think that whilst it is a possibility, we don’t think it’s likely just at the moment. It’s not all cynicism or random dismissal just views and opinions.

Was this thread just a disguised way of getting another thread about Chris Martin? Also, just because you may be proved right about CM that doesn’t make you an expert on public health.

For me, it could happen but, my gut feeling is, whilst the outbreak will get worse with many more cases reported, it won’t get bad enough to cause mass cancellations of events. That’s not me being complacent or dismissive of the threat just my uneducated opinion at this moment in time. 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

It isn't serious for 90% of the population. It's just a flu outbreak like we always have.

That said, it spreads extremely fast and is highly infectious so if you know people who are elderly or vulnerable you are right to be a little concerned.

But the death rate is very low and it's similar again to Swine Flu, and Avian Flu. Which did kill a number of people, tragically, but it didn't bring about the end of our civilisation like some people seem to think.

if current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate this would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu,

It makes me laugh a bit that virtually every time there’s been a case in the Uk the next line is 

“had just returned from Italy “

no ami just putting two and two together here but why the duck was there not a enforced travel ban the minute they worked out it was contagious and Italy was the most infected part of Europe 

is that not just common sense 

or shall we just keeping flying people to and throw and brining it back into our country and hope for the best 

France has I  believe just over 200 reported cases. They have banned INDOOR gatherings of over 5000. The Louvre is now closed  but I don’t think football matches are yet effected.

A case of continuing to monitor the situation  

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

Good points. But surely you have read numerous reports about how without governments and businesses limiting our movement, this could infect 40-50% of the population and as a result, the death rate would increase from the supposed 2.5%, due to the lack of resources and then indirect deaths would increase too. 

Up to 1 million people in the UK potentially dying in the space of 18 months from one virus, will leave a scar on this period like we have not experienced since WW2 and so to will the steps that might have to be taken in order to prevent that from happening. 

This whole ordeal has been caused by the governments unwillingness to block international travel and yet here we now are, where they are proposing banning travel domestically so to speak. This whole thing reeks of classism. The powers that be thought of nothing other than their continued ability to travel internationally so freely. 

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

2% mortality rate. That's about 20x the normative level (depending on age of course).

It's high. Key will be restricting the spread whilst treatments are developed. 

If neither happen and it spreads widely a noticeable number of deaths will occur.

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I wish you’d stop sitting on the fence and just admit you don’t like this government.

Why do you think that? 

I'm more than pleased with what our government are going compared to how the Trump administration is dealing with the coronavirus outbreak.The

What was the first action taken by Vice President Mike Pence the man put in charge of the situation in the USA? Seek the advice of medical experts, order their private health care services to provide free tests for the virus. No his first action was to hold a pray meeting.

On 28/02/2020 at 09:24, SchtivePesley said:

Just be glad we don't live in America

This guy came back to Miami from Asia with flu symptoms. Went to the hospital - got tested and given the all clear

Then whacked with a bill for over $1000

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

Give it 5 years...

On 28/02/2020 at 19:37, RoyMac5 said:

Just had an email from Ocado:

Everybody stockpile, everybody stockpile, la laa la laa, la laa la laa!

Good how will the middle class cope if they have to get off their arses and mix with the common folk at Aldi, or god forbid Farm Foods!?!??!?!

On 29/02/2020 at 11:49, Tamworthram said:

I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to be brainwashed by such a joke article.

How do you think Brexit happened.  My mother in law believed every single BS article she read on there regarding it...

14 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Thank you for accepting the point. I don’t agree that we’ve got it wrong in trying to make sure that the economy, national and world, is as strong as it can be.  All kinds of things rely on it, including my (and your) pension and those of millions around the world.  The wellness of the world’s population does depend upon the economy. There’s no end of studies that say that poverty and poor health are linked.

In the end it’s all about numbers.  Apparently there are currently about 90,000 reported Covid19 cases in the world and 3000 deaths. There’s 8 billion people in the world.  Even if you trebled the number of Covid19 cases the percentage of those people in the world with the virus is miniscule, about 0.003% if my maths is right.  Only 2% of that number will actually die (and there’s all kinds of reasons why that percentage may be over reported).  The truth is that from an epidemiological point of view we are, so far, making this into a much bigger problem than it actually is.

Which is the reason why I think that Governments shouldn’t overreact. They should take action but not aggressive action.

If you don’t believe me then listen to Professor Sian Griffiths on Radio 5 this afternoon.  She co chaired the Hong Kong Government’s examination of the SARS outbreak.  She doesn’t use words like overreact but she does make the point that if we cause a downturn in the economy then the impact upon millions of people whose livelihoods will be directly affected is potentially huge. And the health impact of such a situation, given the link between work, income and health, especially mental health, is far, far greater than any Covid19 outbreak.

She also makes the point that the outbreak in China is now significantly reducing, that case numbers are falling and people in China are steadily  going back to work.

But isn't that due to them taking aggressive action??

Archived