Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swine Flu killed half a million people in 2009, at our current rate of fatalities we should hit that number in about 13 and half years.

If Swine Flu was Liverpool, this new strain is Matlock Town who have just been taken over by some loud mouthed lairy billionaire.

Meanwhile Prince Andrew counts his lucky stars that the world forgets all about him ?

49 minutes ago, Srg said:

Was going Switzerland next weekend to watch FC Luzern on Saturday and FC Basel on Sunday... they've postponed the league until the week after. So now I'm going to get wasted.

They have already postponed football at the Riverside Stadium, fans have been self isolating since around September 

I fully expect the football season to be finished with matches being played with no one in attendance or definitely no away supporting fans 

large gatherings of people increase the risk of the virus spreading

currently 5% of infected people are becoming critically ill   

Currently 2% of infected people are sadly dying 

absolutely people do die all the time from various conditions but this virus is very serious and will escalate in the near future 

36 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Good points. But surely you have read numerous reports about how without governments and businesses limiting our movement, this could infect 40-50% of the population and as a result, the death rate would increase from the supposed 2.5%, due to the lack of resources and then indirect deaths would increase too. 

Up to 1 million people in the UK potentially dying in the space of 18 months from one virus, will leave a scar on this period like we have not experienced since WW2 and so to will the steps that might have to be taken in order to prevent that from happening. 

This whole ordeal has been caused by the governments unwillingness to block international travel and yet here we now are, where they are proposing banning travel domestically so to speak. This whole thing reeks of classism. The powers that be thought of nothing other than their continued ability to travel internationally so freely. 

I think we are a long way off banning domestic public travel. Surely it is just one of the options that is on the table as, no doubt, is international travel. 

To call it classism is stretching it a bit as well. I’m sure there are plenty of people that consider themselves working class that take their holidays abroad.

I think you have focused in one of the wide range (no doubt) of options that could be considered depending on how the situation develops. I don’t know if your specifically having a dig at our government but I don’t see many/any other countries blocking international travel.

11 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Swine Flu killed half a million people in 2009, at our current rate of fatalities we should hit that number in about 13 and half years.

If Swine Flu was Liverpool, this new strain is Matlock Town who have just been taken over by some loud mouthed lairy billionaire.

Meanwhile Prince Andrew counts his lucky stars that the world forgets all about him ?

The work being done to prevent the spread of the virus has absolutely nothing to do with its current lethality.

Although, just a note, the % of deaths from it is far higher than Swine Flu. H1N1 killed 0.02% of infected.

3 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Lots of cynicism and random dismissal of Millenniumram’s genuine concerns ..

Get real please, what possible alternatives are there for such a serious life threatening event ? Think about it, football or family ? 

And whilst we’re at it, my own credibility is 100% at present. I’m one of only about half a dozen or so on here who has insisted for the past two seasons that Chris Martin has still ‘got it’ and is far and away the best striker and provider of goal chances at the club. 

He proved that with his performance on Saturday, so listen to me please, even though I believe it’s taken Cocu until now to be convinced too ! 

I think Mr Wazza might have a word with you ?

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I fully expect the football season to be finished with matches being played with no one in attendance or definitely no away supporting fans 

large gatherings of people increase the risk of the virus spreading

currently 5% of infected people are becoming critically ill   

Currently 2% of infected people are sadly dying 

absolutely people do die all the time from various conditions but this virus is very serious and will escalate in the near future 

You may be right but I hope you’re not.

I’m not sure banning away supporters would achieve very much unless the visiting team came from an “infected area”.  I reckon, if there’s a ban, it would be all supporters. I also reckon I’d be far more at risk within the confined space of Euston station, mingling with travellers from all over the country, than I would in an open air arena shared with supporters from another part of the country who are already segregated by the time they get inside the relatively confined area.

5 hours ago, Zag zig said:

That’s how I see it and the point Yani P makes about Heathrow brings perspective, postponing sporting events, yet leaving mass border entry open, somehow doesn’t seem sensible but then we’re talking about politicians here.

However, the tricky one would be if say an outbreak was to occur within a sporting institution, particularly amongst it’s players? Spurs for instance have already took preventative measures with Son but what if an outbreak occurs on the playing side?

Whilst it’s easy for say the RFU to nullify Italy fixtures, they are largely “dead rubbers” anyway, the real what IF would be if any team that potentially could affect a promotion/relegation even Europe outcome had a Coronavirus outbreak within it’s ranks. How would you be able to force a team to complete fixtures? 

Postponement would be the only option or legal suits would follow everywhere. 

Personally, I think we’ll just about avoid a major outbreak that affects the season as above, but anything is possible and sporting institutions/governing bodies should be prepared for such eventualities.

This is what annoys me some what.  We're an island country, we should be more capable to stopping infected people from entering our boarders than most, yet the government seemed more concerned about limiting the spread once it arrived, than keeping it out.  Lax preparation if you ask me, but what you you expect...

Providing no team's players/officials/staff become infected I can imagine most games will be played behind closed doors.  But considering the amount of people outside of the first team that are involved in a match day, I can't see it happening

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

This is what annoys me some what.  We're an island country, we should be more capable to stopping infected people from entering our boarders (sic) than most, yet the government seemed more concerned about limiting the spread once it arrived,

Not sure what being an island nation has to do with it. Those infected or thought to be, have flown in, just as they would in any country. 

Ridiculous,40 people out of a population of 60 million people are currently infected and the infection rate is far lower than expected.

Its not to say it's not a potentially serious illness for the most vulnerable,but this reminds me very much of the press frenzy surrounding the millennium bug.It's just too juicy a story for them not to whip it up to the max,whilst exploiting the most gullible members of society along the way.

FB_IMG_1583234565386.jpg

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ridiculous,40 people out of a population of 60 million people are currently infected and the infection rate is far lower than expected.

Its not to say it's not a potentially serious illness for the most vulnerable,but this reminds me very much of the press frenzy surrounding the millennium bug.It's just too juicy a story for them not to whip it up to the max,whilst exploiting the most gullible members of society along the way.

FB_IMG_1583234565386.jpg

Dont forget Ebola, where did that sod off to, Benidorm?

Or is that the worlds press no longer talk about it, so therefore it no longer exists.

15 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Dont forget Ebola, where did that sod off to, Benidorm?

Or is that the worlds press no longer talk about it, so therefore it no longer exists.

A vaccine was developed. 

This whole situation shouldn't be as difficult to understand as some are making it out to be.

Sith Happens
34 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

FB_IMG_1583234565386.jpg

Its not uncommon for people to say the Millennium Bug turned out to be a non issue, having worked in IT at the time it was very far from being a non issue, it was only a non issue because of the work done to prevent it being so.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s sounding pretty likely to be honest that the season won’t be seen out. I’d actually be quite surprised at this point in time if the Forest game goes ahead, we’ve quite rightly got to stop the spread of this as soon as possible. Might make it to the international break but probably not much longer. 

To be honest this whole situation is one of my worst nightmares given my OCD with germs and anxiety combined. I’m genuinely somewhat terrified at the moment, especially as many in my family fall into the high risk groups. Hope to god we can get it all sorted, but I’m already on the verge of a panic attack on public transport etc - you never know who’s sat in your seat before you. Going to football matches with 1000s of others is gonna become a scary prospect if you’re anything like me!

I hope you & your family will be okay, it is worrying for a lot  of people.
A lot of us are asthma sufferers & receive the flu vaccination because of its potential impact. 
I’ll be there on Thursday - football seems to carry on regardless, unless we’re playing Cardiff......

Archived