Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we on the verge of widespread match cancellations ? 

I believe that we are, and these football ground closures may not be too far away ..

We may not see another Derby home game after this Thursday’s Manchester United Cup Tie, for a matter of weeks. And indeed our season, as a spectator sport, may even be over, the remainder of the games being played behind closed doors, or postponed altogether until further notice ! 

It’s sounding pretty likely to be honest that the season won’t be seen out. I’d actually be quite surprised at this point in time if the Forest game goes ahead, we’ve quite rightly got to stop the spread of this as soon as possible. Might make it to the international break but probably not much longer. 

To be honest this whole situation is one of my worst nightmares given my OCD with germs and anxiety combined. I’m genuinely somewhat terrified at the moment, especially as many in my family fall into the high risk groups. Hope to god we can get it all sorted, but I’m already on the verge of a panic attack on public transport etc - you never know who’s sat in your seat before you. Going to football matches with 1000s of others is gonna become a scary prospect if you’re anything like me!

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s sounding pretty likely to be honest that the season won’t be seen out. I’d actually be quite surprised at this point in time if the Forest game goes ahead, we’ve quite rightly got to stop the spread of this as soon as possible. Might make it to the international break but probably not much longer. 

To be honest this whole situation is one of my worst nightmares given my OCD with germs and anxiety combined. I’m genuinely somewhat terrified at the moment, especially as many in my family fall into the high risk groups. Hope to god we can get it all sorted, but I’m already on the verge of a panic attack on public transport etc - you never know who’s sat in your seat before you. Going to football matches with 1000s of others is gonna become a scary prospect if you’re anything like me!

You need a Walter White suit.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s sounding pretty likely to be honest that the season won’t be seen out.

It's really not looking that way. There is 40 cases in the UK. It'll get worse, but I doubt it'll get bad enough for the season not to be seen out.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's really not looking that way. There is 40 cases in the UK. It'll get worse, but I doubt it'll get bad enough for the season not to be seen out.

I really hope you’re right and it doesn’t get more serious. I just can’t help but fear the worst at the moment 

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I really hope you’re right and it doesn’t get more serious. I just can’t help but fear the worst at the moment 

The natural cynic in me thinks that people are blowing it out of proportion.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

That’s how I see it and the point Yani P makes about Heathrow brings perspective, postponing sporting events, yet leaving mass border entry open, somehow doesn’t seem sensible but then we’re talking about politicians here.

However, the tricky one would be if say an outbreak was to occur within a sporting institution, particularly amongst it’s players? Spurs for instance have already took preventative measures with Son but what if an outbreak occurs on the playing side?

Whilst it’s easy for say the RFU to nullify Italy fixtures, they are largely “dead rubbers” anyway, the real what IF would be if any team that potentially could affect a promotion/relegation even Europe outcome had a Coronavirus outbreak within it’s ranks. How would you be able to force a team to complete fixtures? 

Postponement would be the only option or legal suits would follow everywhere. 

Personally, I think we’ll just about avoid a major outbreak that affects the season as above, but anything is possible and sporting institutions/governing bodies should be prepared for such eventualities.

Lots of cynicism and random dismissal of Millenniumram’s genuine concerns ..

Get real please, what possible alternatives are there for such a serious life threatening event ? Think about it, football or family ? 

And whilst we’re at it, my own credibility is 100% at present. I’m one of only about half a dozen or so on here who has insisted for the past two seasons that Chris Martin has still ‘got it’ and is far and away the best striker and provider of goal chances at the club. 

He proved that with his performance on Saturday, so listen to me please, even though I believe it’s taken Cocu until now to be convinced too ! 

It isn't serious for 90% of the population. It's just a flu outbreak like we always have.

That said, it spreads extremely fast and is highly infectious so if you know people who are elderly or vulnerable you are right to be a little concerned.

But the death rate is very low and it's similar again to Swine Flu, and Avian Flu. Which did kill a number of people, tragically, but it didn't bring about the end of our civilisation like some people seem to think.

Archived