Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

France has I  believe just over 200 reported cases. They have banned INDOOR gatherings of over 5000. The Louvre is now closed  but I don’t think football matches are yet effected.

A case of continuing to monitor the situation  

Which if remaining the case, is pretty bonkers in terms of consistency when you consider PSG, Lyon and Marseille will get attendances on average of 40,000 plus and all have enclosed concourses. 

Dysfunctional policies.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 people in the UK have been identified with the Corona virus. That's 0.0000602047%  of the population.

Personally I'm not worried.

Over 5,000 people have become UK lottery millionaires and I don't know any of them so the chances of me meeting anyone with the virus are even less.

I'm a glass full kinda guy!

Just avoid the Daily Mail and Daily Express as they'll be doing their best to whip the nation into a frenzy and cause panic buying.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Give it 5 years...

Good how will the middle class cope if they have to get off their arses and mix with the common folk at Aldi, or god forbid Farm Foods!?!??!?!

How do you think Brexit happened.  My mother in law believed every single BS article she read on there regarding it...

But isn't that due to them taking aggressive action??

But it might also be due to the fact that it wasn't quite such a large problem in the first place and that like other viruses (winter flu etc) there is a natural cycle with a starting point, peak and reduction. The Chinese were there first.

That's not to say that they weren't correct to react. But how they reacted might just have as much to do with the fact that they were slow off the mark and were found out, as it is to do with their political regime and the acceptance/fear of the population to some draconian measures that might not be so acceptable here. Or necessary.

The UK is at the start of our process and numbers affected will most likely rise.  More people will probably die as they do every year when we have extremes of weather or when viruses do the rounds. And eventually the impact will decline especially if we do some pretty simple, not particularly aggressive, things

19 minutes ago, admira said:

40 people in the UK have been identified with the Corona virus. That's 0.0000602047%  of the population.

Over 5,000 people have become UK lottery millionaires and I don't know any of them so the chances of me meeting anyone with the virus are even less.

Just avoid the Daily Mail and Daily Express as they'll be doing their best to whip the nation into a frenzy and cause panic buying.

40 people develop a virus ! 5 people a day die on Britain’s roads but I doubt they’ll be shutting down roads and motorways though!

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

Not sure what being an island nation has to do with it. Those infected or thought to be, have flown in, just as they would in any country. 

Eh? Being an island nation means we have far fewer cross-border crossings that than countries on the mainland - i.e. far more people go from Italy to Germany than Italy to the UK. And more control points. It has a lot to do with everything.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think we are a long way off banning domestic public travel. Surely it is just one of the options that is on the table as, no doubt, is international travel. 

To call it classism is stretching it a bit as well. I’m sure there are plenty of people that consider themselves working class that take their holidays abroad.

I think you have focused in one of the wide range (no doubt) of options that could be considered depending on how the situation develops. I don’t know if your specifically having a dig at our government but I don’t see many/any other countries blocking international travel.

I don't think things will be too bad, hopefully. But look how long it took Italy to put in measures. Less than 2 weeks. The government is currently talking this up because they believe as has been the case due to the incubation period, there are hundreds of people throughout the UK that are infected and have yet to be diagnosed.

I'm not referring to the masses. I'm referring to the government, shadow government, political parties in general and the civil service. It was quite obvious this was going to occur, but they decided against imposing travel bans, so they personally could still travel the globe freely. They have put their own selfish needs above the public interest and if you think anything other than this then you are a fool. 

The rate of spreading seems to be very similar to swine flu (ignoring the 20 day difference to 'get going'). That peaked at around 60m cases and 0.5% deaths. If this corona virus continues to follow the same trend, then we'd end up with around 1 million deaths world wide - just 0.0125% of the world population

image.png.4e404d2114197bb5813ddd452a03bb38.png

If it starts to look anything like Spanish flu, then we should definitely be concerned - 20% of the world's population picked it up, with 10% of those dying. You'd expect it to spread more rapidly now than 100 years ago, so a higher percentage of people would pick it up. I doubt it'll spread much more than swine flu though. 

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

Not sure what being an island nation has to do with it. Those infected or thought to be, have flown in, just as they would in any country. 

I just think that if the government were concerned at the onset they can shut our borders easier than other countries as folk can't just meander across an imaginary line, or drive up to a barrier in a car.  Close airports and passenger docks ASAP and keep it out.

But as you say, those infected have already traveled home.  Presumably the worst thing about all of this is the 2 week incubation period?  A human can cover a lot of ground in 14 days...

52 minutes ago, admira said:

Forty people have been identified because they will only test you if either:

- you have been to China, Iran, Italy or a few other places in the last month or so, or

- you have been in direct contact with one of the 40 confirmed cases

Basically it means they have no idea how many people have it. Surveillance screening only began last week, which means testing people randomly at a small proportion of GP practices. If you have the symptoms, though, you are advised not to go to your GP anyway.

My Mrs and I both have flu-like symptoms at the moment. We’re getting better and should be back at work tomorrow, but we also both work in settings where there are lots of potentially vulnerable people. We asked to be tested as a precaution but public health can’t / won’t at the moment.

My point is just that we shouldn’t read too much into the relatively low figures at the moment. It’s out there, and it’s more contagious than pretty much anything that has been seen since polio was eradicated. It’s much less harmful though, to most people (more so to older folk, so on a slightly inappropriate note the shift from a Rowett-assembled squad to Mel’s policy of promoting youth from within was probably timely!)

On the positive side, lots of us may already have had it. However, when it really gets established there will undoubtedly be disruption to normal life for a while. Whether that means banning people sitting next to each other, outside, at a football match remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Nishfan said:

I hope you & your family will be okay, it is worrying for a lot  of people.
A lot of us are asthma sufferers & receive the flu vaccination because of its potential impact. 
I’ll be there on Thursday - football seems to carry on regardless, unless we’re playing Cardiff......

Yeah it’s similar here, obviously got older members in my family but my dad especially suffers from quite bad asthma, and hasn’t long had open heart surgery either. It is really quite worrying times at the moment.

37 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I don't think things will be too bad, hopefully. But look how long it took Italy to put in measures. Less than 2 weeks. The government is currently talking this up because they believe as has been the case due to the incubation period, there are hundreds of people throughout the UK that are infected and have yet to be diagnosed.

I'm not referring to the masses. I'm referring to the government, shadow government, political parties in general and the civil service. It was quite obvious this was going to occur, but they decided against imposing travel bans, so they personally could still travel the globe freely. They have put their own selfish needs above the public interest and if you think anything other than this then you are a fool. 

So you’re saying they decided not to ban global travel for their own personal benefit? Really? Possibly the most bizarre thing I’ve seen on here for ages.

I believe the reasons are because they feel it is not necessary (think what you will of the politicians I’m sure they would have taken advice from experts) and they fear the business (etc.) impact of such action. I’m not saying their decision is correct (having said that I don’t recall seeing much of a demand from health organisations or experts suggesting such a thing) but to suggest it’s for selfish reason is frankly ridiculous.

Do you have the same view of those in power in other countries that have not imposed a ban?

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Which if remaining the case, is pretty bonkers in terms of consistency when you consider PSG, Lyon and Marseille will get attendances on average of 40,000 plus and all have enclosed concourses. 

Dysfunctional policies.

Gare Du Nord railway station sees 700,000 passengers each DAY. Where do you draw the line? (no pun intended).

I’d describe it as inconsistent rather than dysfunctional.

34 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah it’s similar here, obviously got older members in my family but my dad especially suffers from quite bad asthma, and hasn’t long had open heart surgery either. It is really quite worrying times at the moment.

I am on immunosupressants for Colitis and a type 2 Diabetic now, so it's an unknown senario for the likes of me and others in similar situations 

i dont think its just a question of consistency. I think they would look at football matches as less than vital for 40,000 people to attend and therefore one of the easiest things to stop where large crowds of people gather. when you look across the country if you can stop approximately 750,000 (rough weekely attendance figures) getting together in close proximity without affecting the economy you might say thats an easy three quarter of a million potential interactions to cut each week. 

5 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I am on immunosupressants for Colitis and a type 2 Diabetic now, so it's an unknown senario for the likes of me and others in similar situations 

This is why it’s scary, for the majority I’m sure it’ll be fine, but who knows the impact on more special cases. 

1 hour ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

My Mrs and I both have flu-like symptoms at the moment. We’re getting better and should be back at work tomorrow, but we also both work in settings where there are lots of potentially vulnerable people. We asked to be tested as a precaution but public health can’t / won’t at the moment.

Isn't that the point though? You're still not well today but are planning on going back into work tomorrow with vulnerable people even though you will still be contagious? That's what spreads anything around. 

Archived