Coronavirus

1of4

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

But if youre in the highest risk category you will already have had the vaccine so why would you even need to think about whether the people around you have had the vaccine or not?

Is the vaccine 100% effective?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what does it mean with the EU blocking exports of vaccine. It reads like companies just need sign off to export rather than freely moving them about. 

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No don't think so.

Will you spend the rest of your life avoiding places unless you are 100% certain everyone there has had the vaccine?

Looks like you've seen the last of pubs and live football matches if so!

One way to interpret what I said I suppose ?

I was asked a question about letting people into the house, completely different to the scenarios you put down.

Just now, BIllyD said:

One way to interpret what I said I suppose ?

I was asked a question about letting people into the house, completely different t months scenarios you put down.

Well Im guessing you wouldnt let someone in your house because you would not want to be in close proximity to someone in an enclosed space who could potentially transmit the virus?

Or am I missing something?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Well Im guessing you wouldnt let someone in your house because you would not want to be in close proximity to someone in an enclosed space who could potentially transmit the virus?

Or am I missing something?

Yes, we were talking about someone taking the vaccine against someone who hasn't entering my house, I'm lowering the risk by something I can control.

If I choose to goto the pub or anywhere else, then once again I'm considering the risk and making a choice to do that, but accepting there is a risk out of my control.

12 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Yes, we were talking about someone taking the vaccine against someone who hasn't entering my house, I'm lowering the risk by something I can control.

We don't know yet whether the vaccine prevents you from spreading covid - so regardless of whether they have had the vaccine they present the same risk.  As long as you have had the vaccine you have massively reduced your chances of becoming seriously ill if you do catch it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination#:~:text=The vaccine cannot give you,to reduce this risk.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We don't know yet whether the vaccine prevents you from spreading covid - so regardless of whether they have had the vaccine they present the same risk.  As long as you have had the vaccine you have massively reduced your chances of becoming seriously ill if you do catch it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination/what-to-expect-after-your-covid-19-vaccination#:~:text=The vaccine cannot give you,to reduce this risk.

You have given the answer in your first sentence ?

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

You have given the answer in your first sentence ?

Exactly. 

So how are you lowering the risk by insisting that someone has had the vaccine before entering your house?  Surely it would be prudent to assume that anyone, whether they have been vaccinated or not, has the potential to pass on covid to you.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Exactly. 

So how are you lowering the risk by insisting that someone has had the vaccine before entering your house?  Surely it would be prudent to assume that anyone, whether they have been vaccinated or not, has the potential to pass on covid to you.

You've lost me sorry pal. We were talking about someone who has had the vaccine against someone who hasn't. 

Even taking into account it's not been scientific proven (initial results show it will be though) that it won't stop the spread, then from the two options above what do you think is best ?

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

You've lost me sorry pal. We were talking about someone who has had the vaccine against someone who hasn't. 

Even taking into account it's not been scientific proven (initial results show it will be though) that it won't stop the spread, then from the two options above what do you think is best ?

Sorry, I'm only half paying attention to this thread now and may have missed the gist of the discussion that was going on - I just picked up on what you said earlier;

40 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

According to the Govt link I provided, there is no evidence to suggest that having the vaccine will prevent you from passing on covid -they 'expect' it to reduce the risk but don't go as far as to say by how much (if at all). 

Therefore you must assume that anyone entering your house, whether they have been vaccinated or not present the same level of risk - and assuming you yourself have been vaccinated you have mitigated that risk massively.

2 hours ago, BIllyD said:

Is the vaccine 100% effective?

It doesn't need to be really. It just needs to reduce the viral load - which in itself will do a huge amount to curtail the spread - and to reduce the number of hospitalisations and deaths.

Putting things into perspective, the flu vaccines are between 50 and 60% effective.

14 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Ironically it seems like the EU wish to restrict trade between EU and NI. Irish government angry as neither the UK or Irish gov had much consultation. 

I think it's 'tit for tat' following their inability to browbeat AZ. I don't think they are particularly concerned about punishing NI - rather, they see Northern Ireland as a 'back door' into Great Britain via the Republic of Ireland, and are now trying to play hardball along the lines of "If we can't have your vaccines, you can't have ours". If they were hopeful of engineering a united Ireland, this would not be the best way of achieving those aims.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It doesn't need to be really. It just needs to reduce the viral load - which in itself will do a huge amount to curtail the spread - and to reduce the number of hospitalisations and deaths.

Putting things into perspective, the flu vaccines are between 50 and 60% effective.

Indeed, I'm guessing you may have someone on ignore and not seeing the previous posts ?

Archived