Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Apologies to Paul 71 for the Carry on oooh matron crowd taking this thread off topic.....??

Its ok i didnt see them, i cleared down my cookies.

Ok im groaning with how bad that was too ?

20 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Exactly.

This is the combined Google-Apple Covid 19 tracking system that they are both building into Andriod and IOS.  It's not an app.  It's useless without a government app that uses it.

Our government in its "wisdom" has decided to ignore this Google and Apple solution and instead build its own system at goodness knows what cost.

So basically, this setting is useless in the UK.  You;ll need to wait until the government launch their official one, then decide if you want to install it.

And they don't think it will be working until September.

What will the death toll be like in the UK by then? 

On 04/06/2020 at 19:50, therealhantsram said:

So basically, this setting is useless in the UK.  You;ll need to wait until the government launch their official one, then decide if you want to install it.

Ha! Not a chance unless they make it mandatory. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

This is the message that should have been shouted from the rooftops for the last three months. Wear a bloody mask at all times when in contact with others, you dumbass. It stops YOU spreading it to OTHERS, not the other way around. It's your humanitarian duty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52945210

Yep, I’ve never quite understood the play on words of wearing a mask doesn’t stop you catching the virus ,if everyone wears one it MUST cut down the spread of the virus hence we all have less chance of catching it ? Got to be about shortages plain and simple and that’s my problem with this gov through all this ,, so much word play on so many issues whether it be number of deaths, testing ,care home mistakes or lockdown rules interpretation when needed and now the track and trace / border quarantine stuff that you just know is gonna turn into another fiasco

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Yep, I’ve never quite understood the play on words of wearing a mask doesn’t stop you catching the virus ,if everyone wears one it MUST cut down the spread of the virus hence we all have less chance of catching it ? Got to be about shortages plain and simple and that’s my problem with this gov through all this ,, so much word play on so many issues whether it be number of deaths, testing ,care home mistakes or lockdown rules interpretation when needed and now the track and trace / border quarantine stuff that you just know is gonna turn into another fiasco

But everyone can't wear a mask at all times. Especially not a state of the art one, that they can change regularly throughout the day. So, I'm thinking say if you worked in a shop, coughing regularly and then touching the mask to even lift it to have a drink, you would then transmit the virus via your fingers onto every surface around you. Co workers would touch these surfaces and then spread it onto their hands, clothes, masks unknowingly...all whilst feeling safe and not at risk and so less likely to wash hands or keep distance. 

Washing your hands regularly, kills the bug and keeping socially distanced is a much better way to stop the virus spreading and doesn't cost money, is readily available and doesn't look downright scary whilst at the same time potentially being counter productive anyway. 

WHO were initially saying non-surgical masks were a waste of time.  That's why nobody else shouted from the rooftops about wearing them.
Now they are saying the wearing of non-surgical/fabric masks "Could help reduce the spread to others"... but not protect the wearer of course.  Nor does it STOP the spread!

The wearer needs to instil it into their heads they remain vulnerable (themselves) whilst wearing one.  I'd also agree with @Chester40 about a potential for being counter productive.  We must be aware that, particularly if we are coughing/sneezing on to it, it could well then have the virus on it.  Touching the front... inner or outer surface... could well be causing more harm than good, once that virus get's on your hands.  The next surface you touch (without thoroughly washing hands) could well cling on to that virus much longer than if you had just coughed/sneezed out mask-less!  (A lot of variables involved, of course!).

Wear one... and treat it right... and the chances are that you will do more good than not, but if you keep handling it... removing for drinks etc, readjusting for fit, wafting to dry it/cool it down etc... you are defeating the object.  In theory, that's all academic, if you don't have the virus of course, but the point is many don't know they have it, until they have already spread it/passed it on.

Further to the link(s) above...

"Face coverings are to become compulsory for people using public transport in England from Monday 15 June.  
Also, all hospital visitors and outpatients will have to wear face coverings and all staff will have to wear surgical masks at all times, in all areas.
Face coverings are already recommended in some enclosed spaces - like public transport and shops - when social distancing isn't possible.  

The government has stressed that people should:
Continue working from home if they can do so.
Avoid public transport if they can't work from home.
Avoid the rush hour if they have to take public transport.

Some passengers will be exempt from the new rules:
Young children.
Disabled people.
Those with breathing difficulties."

Firstly, I presume "Disabled" includes those who require a wheelchair, or lost a leg in an RTA, and yet have no problem with breathing? Are they exempt from catching/spreading the virus?
And as for "Those with breathing difficulties"... I take it these people won't have some sort of proving certificate with them?  I assume then, that this category would include anyone from the so-called "minority" that simply can't be arsed to wear one and/or doesn't give a toss about anyone else?  Let's see what the media photo's show on Day one (June 15th)!

... I've recently bought 3 x neck tubes/Buffs for this reason.  As a full-face balaclava, they work very well, but make you look like a terrorist!.  As a face mask, just to wrap around and cover the mouth/nose, they're not a great fit.  Lot's of regular adjustments needed, so obviously not great.  Fat-Heads may be ok!  ?

Muckerette is therefore on the case, and will be trying to make something more suitable and better fitting.  Problem being most of her stock is girly/flowery/doggy patterns etc!  ?
For anyone making their own, make sure it is washable at higher temps... 30 deg wash is pointless!

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The wearer needs to instil it into their heads they remain vulnerable (themselves) whilst wearing one.  I'd also agree with @Chester40 about a potential for being counter productive.  We must be aware that, particularly if we are coughing/sneezing on to it, it could well then have the virus on it.  Touching the front... inner or outer surface... could well be causing more harm than good, once that virus get's on your hands.  The next surface you touch (without thoroughly washing hands) could well cling on to that virus much longer than if you had just coughed/sneezed out mask-less!  (A lot of variables involved, of course!).

Seriously? It's not gonna work. 

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

I laughed!

... But you and I both know, it ain't funny!    ??

Of course. And that's why I think telling people to wear masks is mostly wrong - it will give them a false sense of security (and careless about others) and will be little virus traps!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course. And that's why I think telling people to wear masks is mostly wrong - it will give them a false sense of security (and careless about others) and will be little virus traps!

Whenever I have been food shopping people with masks on are the worst. They walk around as though they are immune to catching it, and they won't pass it on. 

42 minutes ago, rynny said:

Whenever I have been food shopping people with masks on are the worst. They walk around as though they are immune to catching it, and they won't pass it on. 

Its like in the middle of an STI epidemic, instead of telling your child to keep it in their trousers, giving them a rubber glove and saying to make sure they use a different glove finger every time. 

Errr sorta. ?

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

But everyone can't wear a mask at all times. Especially not a state of the art one, that they can change regularly throughout the day. So, I'm thinking say if you worked in a shop, coughing regularly and then touching the mask to even lift it to have a drink, you would then transmit the virus via your fingers onto every surface around you. Co workers would touch these surfaces and then spread it onto their hands, clothes, masks unknowingly...all whilst feeling safe and not at risk and so less likely to wash hands or keep distance. 

Washing your hands regularly, kills the bug and keeping socially distanced is a much better way to stop the virus spreading and doesn't cost money, is readily available and doesn't look downright scary whilst at the same time potentially being counter productive anyway. 

This was the reason given at the outset that they could help spread it when people are messing about with them with their fingers....

Sith Happens
54 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

WHO were initially saying non-surgical masks were a waste of time.  That's why nobody else shouted from the rooftops about wearing them.
Now they are saying the wearing of non-surgical/fabric masks "Could help reduce the spread to others"... but not protect the wearer of course.  Nor does it STOP the spread!

Wear one... and treat it right... and the chances are that you will do more good than not, but if you keep handling it... removing for drinks etc, readjusting for fit, wafting to dry it/cool it down etc... you are defeating the object.  In theory, that's all academic, if you don't have the virus of course, but the point is many don't know they have it, until they have already spread it/passed it on.

Further to the link(s) above...

"Face coverings are to become compulsory for people using public transport in England from Monday 15 June.  
Also, all hospital visitors and outpatients will have to wear face coverings and all staff will have to wear surgical masks at all times, in all areas.
Face coverings are already recommended in some enclosed spaces - like public transport and shops - when social distancing isn't possible.  

The government has stressed that people should:
Continue working from home if they can do so.
Avoid public transport if they can't work from home.
Avoid the rush hour if they have to take public transport.

Some passengers will be exempt from the new rules:
Young children.
Disabled people.
Those with breathing difficulties."

Firstly, I presume "Disabled" includes those who require a wheelchair, or lost a leg in an RTA, and yet have no problem with breathing? Are they exempt from catching/spreading the virus?
And as for "Those with breathing difficulties"... I take it these people won't have some sort of proving certificate with them?  I assume then, that this category would include anyone from the so-called "minority" that simply can't be arsed to wear one and/or doesn't give a toss about anyone else?  Let's see what the media photo's show on Day one (June 15th)!

... I've recently bought 3 x neck tubes/Buffs for this reason.  As a full-face balaclava, they work very well, but make you look like a terrorist!.  As a face mask, just to wrap around and cover the mouth/nose, they're not a great fit.  Lot's of regular adjustments needed, so obviously not great.  Fat-Heads may be ok!  ?

Muckerette is therefore on the case, and will be trying to make something more suitable and better fitting.  Problem being most of her stock is girly/flowery/doggy patterns etc!  ?
For anyone making their own, make sure it is washable at higher temps... 30 deg wash is pointless!

I presume its going to be asthmatics etc....But you are right how do you prove it, you might carry your inhaler but anyone could.

As someone with very well controlled Asthma I can say that wearing a face mask is bad for me, so for those who experience breathing difficulties more often it must be horrendous.

Still, I wont be on public transport anytime soon due to shielding so not really going to be an issue for me.

44 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I presume its going to be asthmatics etc....But you are right how do you prove it, you might carry your inhaler but anyone could.

As someone with very well controlled Asthma I can say that wearing a face mask is bad for me, so for those who experience breathing difficulties more often it must be horrendous.

Still, I wont be on public transport anytime soon due to shielding so not really going to be an issue for me.

Also, half the population now seems to have asthma and, there are of course, various degrees of severity.

I'm a mild sufferer and have an inhaler prescribed for me but I wouldn't, and don't, have any problems wearing a mask.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Also, half the population now seems to have asthma and, there are of course, various degrees of severity.

I'm a mild sufferer and have an inhaler prescribed for me but I wouldn't, and don't, have any problems wearing a mask.

I don't know if it's a mental thing for me.  I find myself breathing harder which makes it worse. 

6 hours ago, Chester40 said:

You may be right , it seems like a case of who knows so perhaps they should make they’re minds up then which is kinda my point ,it’s in and out like a fiddlers elbow , I’m finding it harder and harder to have any faith in boris and his cabinet to get much right at the right time ,not sure if it’s correct but I heard it stated that we are now having more deaths per day than the rest of Europe put together most days

2 hours ago, King Kevin said:

On A lighter note I've just had my first post lockdown Maccy D ,not a massive fan but after nearly 3 months I had one because I could.

Two hours queueing?

Im amazed at the fact people are prepared to wait so long but then again there are basically no other options at the moment.

Archived