Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Malagaram said:

What about all those silly beggars marching in London today,didnt see a lot of social distancing on the news tonight

Does make you wonder what's the point in keeping pubs and gyms closed if people can march in their thousands right next to each other and the police just stand by and watch.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Does make you wonder what's the point in keeping pubs and gyms closed if people can march in their thousands right next to each other and the police just stand by and watch.

So here's the thing... Honestly, I don't really get the whole solidarity thing and I'm mixed race myself. Trump doesn't care about the US so he surely won't give AF about what we think, so there's that.

More pertinently, the protesters were initially walking with outstretched arms so that they could self-distance to a degree, but in the end there were simply too many of them. I also think that many just didn't care. But the thing is, if you're highlighting the dangers of CV in this instance with a few thousand protesters, then presumably you're aware of the danger of half the country charging to the pub the very day that they re-open? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Equally, while I'm as libertarian as the next guy and I'd do plenty to protect the right to peaceful protest, are such marches really appropriate right here, right now? I'm split.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

So here's the thing... Honestly, I don't really get the whole solidarity thing and I'm mixed race myself. Trump doesn't care about the US so he surely won't give AF about what we think, so there's that.

More pertinently, the protesters were initially walking with outstretched arms so that they could self-distance to a degree, but in the end there were simply too many of them. I also think that many just didn't care. But the thing is, if you're highlighting the dangers of CV in this instance with a few thousand protesters, then presumably you're aware of the danger of half the country charging to the pub the very day that they re-open? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Equally, while I'm as libertarian as the next guy and I'd do plenty to protect the right to peaceful protest, are such marches really appropriate right here, right now? I'm split.

I'm just a bit fed up. I'm 21, I'm as low risk as they come, and yet I've still maintained social distancing and haven't seen my girlfriend since March, and every time I see people ignore it, part of me thinks ''stuff it''. It's not a political thought, it winds me up when I see people on the beach, it winds me up when I see them congregating in the city. I'm just a bit peeved that I've wasted my time trying to social distance for the benefit of others when others aren't doing the same. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm just a bit fed up. I'm 21, I'm as low risk as they come, and yet I've still maintained social distancing and haven't seen my girlfriend since March, and every time I see people ignore it, part of me thinks ''stuff it''. It's not a political thought, it winds me up when I see people on the beach, it winds me up when I see them congregating in the city. I'm just a bit peeved that I've wasted my time trying to social distance for the benefit of others when others aren't doing the same. 

I get that mate. I think all of us are. Certain types will label everything political these days, but in truth people just want to be safe and also to have some kind of a life too and that's been hard under lockdown. It really sucks trying to be responsible when others so clearly aren't and I don't think you're being in any way unreasonable.

All I can offer is that it won't be forever and how sweet will the freedoms we're used to taking for granted seem once this horrible time of it is over? Roll on!!

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

All I can offer is that it won't be forever and how sweet will the freedoms we're used to taking for granted seem once this horrible time of it is over? Roll on!!

I can definitely agree to that. I'm not sure I'll ever turn one of my friends invites to the pub down again!

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

All very odd and not very well explained by the otherwise deeply magnificent Priti Patel....

I hope that’s a joke?

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Our factory is prepping to temperature check everyone entering site by the end of June.

We have had two confirmed Covid19 cases, both recovered and back at work, since it all started out of a workforce of just over 800.

Seems a bit of a waste of time to start checking everyone now really.

Not sure I'd agree with that.  At this stage, nobody knows how long this virus is going to be around.  Just because it appears to be fading, it may well be around for years to come.  Maybe even forever!  Quite possibly to a lesser degree, but still around?
And a simple temperature check may prove useful against other/similar viruses in the years/decades to come?
It could be argued that your employer is... or at least is trying to be... ahead of the game.

All these H&S contingency's have to start somewhere, I guess.  At the end of the day, it's a preventative measure being put in place to protect the workforce/site visitors etc.  If it's rendered useless by Xmas by Covid magically disappearing, that has to be preferable than never having it in the first place?

Personally, I'd be tempted to give your employer a little thumbs up, myself.   ?

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, Andicis said:

I know a lot of people feel the same, but I do believe despite the images of the beaches that its still the minority that aren't doing as they should. Lets face it some pictures of a few packed beaches is a few thousand people which is a small minority in a country of 70 million.

You are always going to get people like that. It must be tough on you with your girlfriend, a friend of mine is in the same position and they have now split up which is sad, good for you for keeping going.

The majority of people I know have stuck more or less to the rules, yes there may have been a chat from a distance when delivering supplies, I think a lot of people will have bent a rule here and there but certainly not to the degree that those on the beaches did.

Sith Happens
45 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure I'd agree with that.  At this stage, nobody knows how long this virus is going to be around.  Just because it appears to be fading, it may well be around for years to come.  Maybe even forever!  Quite possibly to a lesser degree, but still around?
And a simple temperature check may prove useful against other/similar viruses in the years/decades to come?
It could be argued that your employer is... or at least is trying to be... ahead of the game.

All these H&S contingency's have to start somewhere, I guess.  At the end of the day, it's a preventative measure being put in place to protect the workforce/site visitors etc.  If it's rendered useless by Xmas by Covid magically disappearing, that has to be preferable than never having it in the first place?

Personally, I'd be tempted to give your employer a little thumbs up, myself.   ?

I agree, if there is the potential of a second wave, actions like this will only help prevent or minimise it.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Our factory is prepping to temperature check everyone entering site by the end of June.

that is a good idea, 

although a thermometer up the bum is never very pleasant......especially if you’re just about to make biscuits.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Maybe your right, just seems a tad late.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Difficult to know what the police could do. The slightest move to arrest a few or move them on would have been pouring petrol on a fire and full blown riots would have occurred.

Hard to tell from pictures but it can be assumed many protesters were from BAME backgrounds. The same high risk of catching/dying people. Idiots!

In 2 weeks if there is  (hope not) a spike in London and BAME people are the majority, who are they going to blame? Probably need an enquiry (sarcasm).

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

that is a good idea, 

although a thermometer up the bum is never very pleasant......especially if you’re just about to make biscuits.

Wouldn’t be too nice for the person administrating it - trust me on that ??

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

I think you have to make your own decisions as no government can cover all bases although some on here think they should .

What's your environment and contact scope ,do you live with parents are they vulnerable?  Same for your girlfriend etc ,personally I am more at risk from my wife and grand kids as they are at school and the wife is a key worker .

Little point in locking myself away completely due to the above .Be sensible ,social distance ,touch as little as possible ,wash your hands and see your girlfriend as long as you both agree and nobody else in the households objects or is high risk.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

I think you have to make your own decisions as no government can cover all bases although some on here think they should .

What's your environment and contact scope ,do you live with parents are they vulnerable?  Same for your girlfriend etc ,personally I am more at risk from my wife and grand kids as they are at school and the wife is a key worker .

Little point in locking myself away completely due to the above .Be sensible ,social distance ,touch as little as possible ,wash your hands and see your girlfriend as long as you both agree and nobody else in the households objects or is high risk.

It's not that, it's not about the government. I know what I can and can't do, but the government said no large crowds and maintain social distancing, why is it okay that big protests can happen that just ignore that?

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not that, it's not about the government. I know what I can and can't do, but the government said no large crowds and maintain social distancing, why is it okay that big protests can happen that just ignore that?

I don't think it's a matter of choice. There was no way they could have arrested everyone. Even arresting a few would have inflamed things far beyond what they could control. Remember we have policing by consent, not by order in the UK. This isn't the USA.

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think it's a matter of choice. There was no way they could have arrested everyone. Even arresting a few would have inflamed things far beyond what they could control. Remember we have policing by consent, not by order in the UK. This isn't the USA.

Agreed, but if people keep congregating in big crowds, that R rate is going to go up no matter what the rest of us do.

Archived