Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
3 hours ago, King Kevin said:

On A lighter note I've just had my first post lockdown Maccy D ,not a massive fan but after nearly 3 months I had one because I could.

I thought about it, but decided to go out and see if I could catch a bout of covid19 as it seemed the healthier option of the two. ?

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought about it, but decided to go out and see if I could catch a bout of covid19 as it seemed the healthier option of the two. ?

Probably is mate and possibly both have the same effect on your sense of taste.

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering

I'd better get my needle and thread out, although it's suggested that the highly vulnerable ought to wear real surgical masks.

Muckerette has made us up one each today.  Somewhat better than the gov ones, with a bit of shape to them, but they have taken a few hours, with lots of little tweaks.  Sort of a "poor mans made-to-measure"!  ?

Now she has the required patterns/dimensions etc, to suit each of us, she can run up a few more as spares whilst others are in the wash.

A few tips/personal thoughts, for those that are thinking of making their own:

Make sure whatever material is used can be washed at hot temps.  A 30degC wash is no good, from a virus perspective.
The elastic straps are a bit on the wide side (10mm?) as that was all she had in.  She's ordered some narrower elastic for future ones, which should make me look a little less Dumbo-like.
We tried an "around the head" style fastening (elastic again), but personally, I found the mask kept dropping when talking (Jaw movement), so reverted to the "around the ears" option.  Much better, and very little movement from the mask now.  This also means you can (rather easily) fit and remove the mask by the elastics, and not have to touch the actual face pad.  Not so easy with the straps around the head (be that elastic or ties).
Men can not only draw and cut out the card patterns, but can also cut the fabric, ready for the seamstress to strut her stuff!  Who knew!
The more professional amongst us use a cutting tool (for the fabric) not dissimilar to a pizza cutter... but much sharper, of course!  Who knew (2)?  
Apparently, in the sewing world, scrap off-cuts are called "Fat Quarters", and can be purchased fairly widely!  Who knew (3)!

Ours are based on the video below, but then followed by the aforementioned tweaks for a comfier personal fit.  (My mask is now slightly bigger in both width and length.  Ergo, the ear straps are considerably shorter than the video dimensions). 

Good luck everybody... and remember...

NCvUHCz.gif

11 hours ago, rynny said:

Whenever I have been food shopping people with masks on are the worst. They walk around as though they are immune to catching it, and they won't pass it on. 

Sorry about that, but you were taking way too long on whether to buy that reduced sandwich and I wanted to get to those king prawns before you spotted them.

Fabric face coverings don’t offer much protection.

the surgeons type IIR masks are fluid resistant in and provide protection to others when in close proximity. They will protect the wearer to a degree but they aren’t face fitted or airtight. Everyone should wear these masks for mutual protection when close proximity.

I've read in a magazine today that when you're tested for Covid-19, a swab is stuck up your nose, then reversed and the other end shoved down your throat.

Nothing revelatory in that I know, but that procedure counts as two tests for the figures, not one as I'd assumed.

Is that possibly true, and if so does that account for the massive ramp up in testing?

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I've read in a magazine today that when you're tested for Covid-19, a swab is stuck up your nose, then reversed and the other end shoved down your throat.

Nothing revelatory in that I know, but that procedure counts as two tests for the figures, not one as I'd assumed.

Is that possibly true, and if so does that account for the massive ramp up in testing?

Throat first then nose when I had mine. It certainly counts as two tests as the same type of test done on the throat sample isn’t compatible with a nasal sample. But, this has been the case at least since they introduced the home test kits (maybe longer). 

8 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Yep true and been pointed out quite a while back, gov will not give a number of how many people tested each day?, even at a time like this we are seeing politics at its dishonest worst 

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Fabric face coverings don’t offer much protection.

the surgeons type IIR masks are fluid resistant in and provide protection to others when in close proximity. They will protect the wearer to a degree but they aren’t face fitted or airtight. Everyone should wear these masks for mutual protection when close proximity.

Indeed.  These fabric masks offer virtually no protection to the wearer, as I understand it.  They offer a part-barrier against the airborne particles when the wearer coughs sneezes, slowing those particles down, and/or reducing the distance they travel (The oft-cited 2m for non-wearers).
They are worn to help protect (reduce the risk to) others in close proximity.  A scarf or neck-tube (Buff) covering the nose and mouth will also suffice in reducing the risk of spreading.

Under no circumstances should the wearer believe they are protecting themselves in any way.  Under no circumstances should the wearer believe they are at no risk of spreading the virus.  They offer help in reducing the risks, nothing more.  It is merely "a step-up" from using ones hand or a hanky, when sneezing/coughing.
(As an aside, as you use your hands/touch other objects/surfaces more with your hands, the experts are advising you cough/sneeze "into your elbow", as opposed to your hand).

Gov are saying that from Mon 15th, we must wear them in places such as public transport or shops, where social distancing is not possible.
People over the age of 60 or those with underlying medical conditions should specifically wear a medical mask where social distancing cannot be maintained.
Other medical-grade masks should not be worn (by Joe Public) but be saved for the medics.

Taking them off by holding the mask in your hands, shoving them in your pocket, (or dangling them around your neck!) and tootling off without washing your hands is "almost" defeating the object!  You should wash hands or gel-up immediately before and after use.  You should handle them by the straps, not the front fabric itself.  They should be kept in a bag (Think zip-lock style sandwich bag) and washed regularly.  They can be washed with other day-to-day laundry, but not at the lower 30 deg type temps.  The hotter the better.

Remember... Many folk do not know they have the virus for a few days, if at all.  That's where the problems lie, with regards to spreading/passing on the virus!

It is believed some shops may start to insist that you wear them ("A face covering" not specifically "a mask") as part of their own rules, or be asked to leave their premises.  Similar may apply to their staff, of course.  Many shops/business are still considering their options, particularly those who have not yet been allowed to open, but are (currently) likely to start re-opening on or around June 15th.   So maybe it's a good idea to be prepared?

I don't envisage using public transport.  I'll have mine with me, and will likely put it on when going in a shop.  Personally, I'll be keeping trips to shops to an absolute minimum, as per the past couple of months, but do like to be prepared, just in case!

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Yep true and been pointed out quite a while back, gov will not give a number of how many people tested each day?, even at a time like this we are seeing politics at its dishonest worst 

Not quite as bad as in Brazil, where they are now refusing to release any statistics at all, if that's any consolation.

39 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Not quite as bad as in Brazil, where they are now refusing to release any statistics at all, if that's any consolation.

Bit unfair! They have apparently released a figure for yesterday and it seems totally legit. I think Mr Bolsonaro needs to be congratulated on successfully reducing the death count and number of new infections by 90% literally overnight. 

image.png.7f269caf5209e2a32017d6005516ce67.png

13 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

A tested person counts as two swabs, but a person wearing gloves consumes two pieces of PPE. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Bit unfair! They have apparently released a figure for yesterday and it seems totally legit. I think Mr Bolsonaro needs to be congratulated on successfully reducing the death count and number of new infections by 90% literally overnight. 

image.png.7f269caf5209e2a32017d6005516ce67.png

I think the figures for the 7th June might well go up during the day. They are “live” figures (no sick pun intended) and whilst most countries seem to be updated in one chunk others are updated as figures for different parts of the country are reported at different times. For example, once or twice, I have been surprised at how low the US figures were but, when you click on the US it provides a breakdown per state. When the figures looked low, I could see that certain states hadn’t provided their figures at that moment in time.

It might well be the same for Brazil. It’s all in Portuguese but it looks like their figures are also broken down by region.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think the figures for the 7th June might well go up during the day. They are “live” figures (no sick pun intended) and whilst most countries seem to be updated in one chunk others are updated as figures for different parts of the country are reported at different times. For example, once or twice, I have been surprised at how low the US figures were but, when you click on the US it provides a breakdown per state. When the figures looked low, I could see that certain states hadn’t provided their figures at that moment in time.

It might well be the same for Brazil. It’s all in Portuguese but it looks like their figures are also broken down by region.

WHO dashboard reports 1473 'New deaths' for Brazil

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The figure quoted is for the 6th buddy. It's from the worldometer site which updates daily. The UK figures, for instance, are updated around 4.00PM daily. I was joking though. It may just be an untimely glitch in the reporting stats.

I did a test at the drive through at Showcase cinemas last sat in sinfin.

One swab, back of mouth, then same swab up yer snout. Break swab in two and stick in the cylinder with a bit of liquid in it.

Got a negative result back in just under 24 hours.

Cant knock that for speed really.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The figure quoted is for the 6th buddy. It's from the worldometer site which updates daily. The UK figures, for instance, are updated around 4.00PM daily. I was joking though. It may just be an untimely glitch in the reporting stats.

That’s where I look and you could be right although the US figures certainly aren’t updated in one go. For example, it’s showing 5 deaths in the US as of now but I bet it will go up during the day.

Archived