Coronavirus

1of4

32 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That’s where I look and you could be right although the US figures certainly aren’t updated in one go. For example, it’s showing 5 deaths in the US as of now but I bet it will go up during the day.

Ah fair enough. I've only used for the UK numbers.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I've read in a magazine today that when you're tested for Covid-19, a swab is stuck up your nose, then reversed and the other end shoved down your throat.

Nothing revelatory in that I know, but that procedure counts as two tests for the figures, not one as I'd assumed.

Is that possibly true, and if so does that account for the massive ramp up in testing?

Earlier when we were shown the number of tests carried out and the number of people tested it wasn’t double the tests to people.

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

I did a test at the drive through at Showcase cinemas last sat in sinfin.

One swab, back of mouth, then same swab up yer snout. Break swab in two and stick in the cylinder with a bit of liquid in it.

Got a negative result back in just under 24 hours.

Cant knock that for speed really.

Wasn’t you feeling well? 

8 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Wasn’t you feeling well? 

Had a high temperature for no reason really, well, there must of been a reason but it wasn’t covid.

Ive got my eye on the antibody test next, I’m sure I’ve had it earlier in the year.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Had a high temperature for no reason really, well, there must of been a reason but it wasn’t covid.

Ive got my eye on the antibody test next, I’m sure I’ve had it earlier in the year.

Do you have to be selected for one of those or can you buy one? 

I don’t think I’ve had it.

Sith Happens
32 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Wasn’t you feeling well? 

He drove in the wrong queue, he only went out for a big mac and fries.

2 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

Do you have to be selected for one of those or can you buy one? 

I don’t think I’ve had it.

Only nhs and care workers are able to get them at the mo I think, I wouldn’t trust buying one off the net at the mo.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Only nhs and care workers are able to get them at the mo I think, I wouldn’t trust buying one off the net at the mo.

do you mean the one I ordered from China for 79p might not work ?

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Yep. Locally, it's open to a percentage of NHS workers at the minute - I.E those working in respiratory care/A&E... the proper front line. Will be rolled out to more NHS workers over the coming weeks before I imagine being made available to the wider population. 

Am I the only one in the testing who would just like to know how many individual people’s tests have been done in the lab against how many positive cases each day?

So who cares how many have gone in the post or how many swans each person has - it’s down to how many unique people have been checked in a lab and how many were positive.

Could be from today’s 1300 or so positive results only 1300 people were actually tested in a lab for instance!

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Isn't it where the Gov get ours from?

I got a free ps 7 with mine.  that doesn't work either. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I think ONS are doing the tests too. Obviously I wouldn’t buy any rubbish off tinterweb but if the antibody test that is supposed to be 99% accurate becomes available then it might be worth getting one. I know I haven’t had it because my missus would have had it and she’s on deaths door with a runny nose.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Am I the only one in the testing who would just like to know how many individual people’s tests have been done in the lab against how many positive cases each day?

So who cares how many have gone in the post or how many swans each person has - it’s down to how many unique people have been checked in a lab and how many were positive.

Could be from today’s 1300 or so positive results only 1300 people were actually tested in a lab for instance!

I don’t think many people are going for the tests which must mean not many people are feeling they have the symptoms. I think the capacity is there however where they send you for the test could be a head scratcher. My cousin went to Nottingham for one.

They did say how many tests were done on how many people a while ago. I suspect with the results taking a day it would be difficult to get all the information together.

In the midst of all the doom and gloom, a small ray of sunshine for those who have been shielding, the old and other folk with underlying health issues.

Coronavirus: Oxford scientists working on COVID-19 vaccine 'near breakthrough' on antibody treatment

The treatment has been hailed as potentially vital for the elderly and vulnerable, whose bodies may not respond well to a vaccine.

British scientists thought to be leading the global race to develop a COVID-19 vaccine are reportedly also close to a major breakthrough on a life-saving antibody treatment.

The Oxford University team have been confident about their work on a vaccine for coronavirus, with millions of doses already being manufactured by pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca in the expectation that it will work.

And there is now similar confidence that a separate project to create an antibody treatment for those especially vulnerable to COVID-19 will also prove successful, with testing now said to be moving at "full speed".

FULL ARTICLE HERE: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oxford-scientists-working-on-covid-19-vaccine-near-breakthrough-on-antibody-treatment-12002160

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Announced on various media today, New Zealand free of the virus.

New Zealand have handled this crisis very well. Jacinda Ardern's government could certainly teach other unmentioned incompetents a thing or two.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

New Zealand have handled this crisis very well. Jacinda Ardern's government could certainly teach other unmentioned incompetents a thing or two.

They have (and I don't want to belittle that) but it's a very different country to the UK, if you're in the mood to try and draw comparisons with us.

Archived