Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many, I received a letter at the start of the pandemic saying that I was vulnerable and should shield until 30 June. Yesterday I received another letter stating they had made an administrative error and that I did not need to have been shielded all along. They did apologise and said they would endeavour not to make the same mistake again - so that’s ok.

Just a couple of thoughts...

People are talking about a second wave, when with our daily death total being the same as most of Europe put together, we aren't out of the first wave yet.

I find ironic that the quarantine starts on 8th June, meaning that when thousands were dying in Europe we didn't bother and now mainland Europe have massively reduced the infection rate we quarantine people. I can't help but think someone somewhere is taking the piss.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24632853-300-why-have-there-been-so-many-coronavirus-deaths-in-the-uk/

One of the most damning articles I've seen

I'm not sure how anyone can read the consensus of opinion in this article and argue anything other than our response being an unmitigated duck up.

No doubt it'll be written off as a nonsensical, unfair, biased or politically motivated opinion piece within 20 minutes by some though.

35 minutes ago, sage said:

Just a couple of thoughts...

People are talking about a second wave, when with our daily death total being the same as most of Europe put together, we aren't out of the first wave yet.

I find ironic that the quarantine starts on 8th June, meaning that when thousands were dying in Europe we didn't bother and now mainland Europe have massively reduced the infection rate we quarantine people. I can't help but think someone somewhere is taking the piss.

I'm not saying I agree but, I think the rationale put forward today during the news conference was: up until recently, travel into the country has been so low and our own infection rate so high that any "imported" infections would have been tiny in comparison to what you might describe as domestic infections. Now that domestic infections are reducing (but not fast enough) and international travel likely to increase, the risk of importing an infection is proportionately higher than it was and therefore worth controlling. 

I'm not sure if I've explained that well and personally, I think other countries have got more to fear from us than we have from them but, I guess they're worried about their tourist industry.

Even though, as you rightly say, we're not out of the first wave yet, it does seem to be appropriate to be talking about a possible second wave. 

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not saying I agree but, I think the rationale put forward today during the news conference was: up until recently, travel into the country has been so low and our own infection rate so high that any "imported" infections would have been tiny in comparison to what you might describe as domestic infections. Now that domestic infections are reducing (but not fast enough) and international travel likely to increase, the risk of importing an infection is proportionately higher than it was and therefore worth controlling. 

I'm not sure if I've explained that well and personally, I think other countries have got more to fear from us than we have from them but, I guess they're worried about their tourist industry.

Even though, as you rightly say, we're not out of the first wave yet, it does seem to be appropriate to be talking about a possible second wave. 

I am not saying we should have started quarantining in April or May when yes there are very little air traffic. I am saying It should have started on all flights from Wuhan, then the rest of China, then Italy and then Spain. In March. It would have been impractical to start quarantining everyone in mid-March but it should have been in place for travel from the worst hit countries. At the absolute bare minimum quarantine from Wuhan and temperature checks on flights from the other hotspots.  

10 minutes ago, sage said:

I am not saying we should have started quarantining in April or May when yes there are very little air traffic. I am saying It should have started on all flights from Wuhan, then the rest of China, then Italy and then Spain. In March. It would have been impractical to start quarantining everyone in mid-March but it should have been in place for travel from the worst hit countries. At the absolute bare minimum quarantine from Wuhan and temperature checks on flights from the other hotspots.  

I thought this is what the government had done?

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I am not saying we should have started quarantining in April or May when yes there are very little air traffic. I am saying It should have started on all flights from Wuhan, then the rest of China, then Italy and then Spain. In March. It would have been impractical to start quarantining everyone in min-March but it should have been in place for travel from the worst hit countries. At the absolute bare minimum quarantine from Wuhan and temperature checks on flights from the other hotspots.  

Agreed.

I don't know the facts and wouldn't really trust any politician to be completely honest but, that is what Boris said did happen.

I have tried to google it and there are various stories that flights were in theory banned from some places and yet some were still coming in.

Selective quarantines may well have been the best thing and I really do think limited exceptions to the quarantine rules will begin to happen fairly soon.

42 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I thought this is what the government had done?

Not sure anyone knows to be fair. Even the government and their advisers themselves.

From The Express

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam claims that the two-week quarantine for travellers coming into the UK was already in place from the 30th of February, a date that does not exist.

https://www.express.co.uk/videos/6157500735001/Jonathan-Van-Tam-claims-two-week-quarantine-was-done-before

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not sure anyone knows to be fair. Even the government and their advisers themselves.

From The Express

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam claims that the two-week quarantine for travellers coming into the UK was already in place from the 30th of February, a date that does not exist.

https://www.express.co.uk/videos/6157500735001/Jonathan-Van-Tam-claims-two-week-quarantine-was-done-before

That's not true,  I heard it started on the 12th of never. 

37 minutes ago, sage said:

Liverpool v Athletico Madrid?

5000 away fans?

I'm going off what Boris said in the press conference tonight. 

Having a look back through Google, it's not easy to nail it to a specific date.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm going off what Boris said in the press conference tonight. 

Having a look back through Google, it's not easy to nail it to a specific date.

The clearest explanation I have found is on a site called withers world wide, who state based in late may, writing about the forthcoming 8th june measures....

Until then, current policy is not to check passengers’ health nor impose quarantine upon arrival, nor impose checks upon departure from the UK. The UK Government does advise that passengers should follow guidance for safe travelling, go straight home from the airport and then only go outside for food, health reasons, daily exercise or work if they cannot work from home, and follow Government guidance on social distancing.

Currently, no screening measures are being imposed on passengers arriving on commercial flights at the UK’s major airports, but passenger screening is expected to be trialled and implemented in due course.

note that there have been different requirements for private flights.

Generally it seems to me that the uk didn't bother because loads of other countries were not letting flights leave. Now they are, we seem to have decided we have to do something. 

All very odd and not very well explained by the otherwise deeply magnificent Priti Patel....

Our factory is prepping to temperature check everyone entering site by the end of June.

We have had two confirmed Covid19 cases, both recovered and back at work, since it all started out of a workforce of just over 800.

Seems a bit of a waste of time to start checking everyone now really.

Archived