v Huddersfield Town (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

To retain possession? To build from the back? To avoid lumping pointless alehouse balls up the pitch to our strikers who are about 5 foot 9?

thanks - retaining possession isn't the same as scoring goals though... just sayin'

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jono said:

You’re dodging

Martins blood was up and he had a yellow. Waghorn was one of the better players on the pitch.
Yeah, Knight was a a one of two possibilities. Cocu chose Shinnie, argue about that not the reasons for 2 entirely necessary departures. 

What am I dodging exactly?

Personally I would have made different changes. Knight in for Holmes and then Marriott for Waghorn.

Knight is more forward thinking than Shinnie. And Martin is Martin. Even on a yellow card, you keep him on. He has been integral to everything good we have done recently.

48 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

As the saying goes, the buck stops with the manager.

At the end of the day, if he wants to have a strong and stable defence, he has to let it develop. You can't repeatedly change it from game to game and expect results. Dropping Bogle is part of a wider Cocu problem. He makes too many changes and it can sometimes be counter-productive.

Our best performance of the season was Stoke at home - with Hamer in goal, Bogle and Forsyth at full back and Clarke and Wisdom at centre back. Is it going to work in the long term? No-one knows. Why? Because before it has had time to grow and develop, Cocu will change something.

Conceding goals might be a problem at the moment, but would you rather us play out boring 0-0s? Cocu seemed to have got the balance correct in recent weeks, only to go a few steps back today. Personally, I'd rather have a consistent team having a go and playing positively and conceding a few goals along the way. 3-2s are more exciting than 0-0s and 1-1s.

No-one is going to be upset if our approach is the right one.

I disagree that I see only negatives in what Cocu does. You are being selective there. Since the turn of the year, I've pointed out plenty of positives about Cocu and his management of the team, despite feeling there are managers with a different approach who could get even more out of this squad.

I think you do only see negatives in Cocu. You clearly have an agenda against him and seek any opening to try and substantiate your point. 

Respect your point of view on going for a maximiser manager but don’t think another manager would get more out of this squad and given how difficult it is to compete financially with the teams with parachute payments, I think now is the time we do need to build something sustainable like Sheff Utd, like Norwich (who incidentally are a decent sized club, a one sport city with a good fan base and similar expectation)

Massive improvement in 2020, clear signs of where he wants to take this team, he hates losing, clearly a winner, he will take this club where we want go and Mel seems to be getting right behind him - Fair Play Mel

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Holmes was injured, but was Shinnie the right change to make? Could someone else have been brought on? Knight, for example?

Martin was taken off, but could someone else have been taken off? Waghorn, for example?

Waghorn was the greater goal threat... Martin didn’t look like he’d shoot all game long. 
Knight has struggled to get involved in game sad of late, and has committed silly fouls. Shinnie adds the same amount of energy and drive to the team but is a better defensive player. It allowed Rooney to push forward, which wouldn’t have been possible with Knight in the team instead. 

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know. If bright kids don't do well at school is it the fault of the teacher?

I was a ducking nightmare at school and it certainly had nothing to do with my long-suffering tutors. It's not one size fits all mate and Cocu is not the type of guy to call out players for no reason.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn was the greater goal threat... Martin didn’t look like he’d shoot all game long.

But Waghorn wasn't much of a threat was he. And better Martin (that was a penalty ref!) create for Marriott, will we ever see that?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But Waghorn wasn't much of a threat was he. And better Martin (that was a penalty ref!) create for Marriott, will we ever see that?

I would love to see Martin and Marriott supported by Rooney. The more intelligent footballers on the pitch (for the Rams!) the better! 

1 hour ago, Gisby said:

Opinions opinions opinions but let’s not overlook our managers credentials.... 20 years a pro footballer, 100+ caps for Holland, 11 years assistant/full time manager, 3 league titles etc etc etc and yet some of us on here question how he is handling & developing our young players???? Really??? If the likes of Jayden Bogle don’t take notice of his guidance & advice then more fool them, they don’t deserve the career that awaits them. Let’s let our manager get on with doing what he’s paid to do ...... Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ..... in Philip I trust .... who on here can say they know better??? 

There’s no guarantee that a pedigree footballer becomes a pedigree manager . . . Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Colin Todd, . . . There are 100’s of examples . Nor do you have to be a top footballer to become a top football manager . . . Mourinho, Wenger . . . and loads more. 
And despite what you imply, Cocu is not quite the genius manager yet. With respect, some  of us are not quite so obsequious. We pay our money and we have an opinion. 

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think you do only see negatives in Cocu. You clearly have an agenda against him and seek any opening to try and substantiate your point. 

Respect your point of view on going for a maximiser manager but don’t think another manager would get more out of this squad and given how difficult it is to compete financially with the teams with parachute payments, I think now is the time we do need to build something sustainable like Sheff Utd, like Norwich (who incidentally are a decent sized club, a one sport city with a good fan base and similar expectation)

Massive improvement in 2020, clear signs of where he wants to take this team, he hates losing, clearly a winner, he will take this club where we want go and Mel seems to be getting right behind him - Fair Play Mel

Again, time will tell.

If you genuinely took the time to read my posts, you would see that I am trying to be balanced.

It's not my fault that the moment I post something that doesn't toe the forum line, people pounce upon it and won't let it go. The more positive posts fade into the background.

What agenda could I possibly have? What satisfaction can I possibly gain from Cocu doing a bad job? I don't enjoy seeing us struggle to beat Huddersfield at home. Why would I?

I don't think he's the right man for the job based on what I've seen. But if he goes on and does a fantastic job, I will be ecstatic like everyone else.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Martin had 0 shots vs Waghorn’s 2 - including the close range diving header. The later also picked the ball up on the edge of the box and was involved in play a lot more

19 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Personally I would have made different changes. Knight in for Holmes and then Marriott for Waghorn.

Knight is more forward thinking than Shinnie. And Martin is Martin. Even on a yellow card, you keep him on. He has been integral to everything good we have done recently.

You questioned the departures of Holmes and Martin. 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

You questioned the departures of Holmes and Martin. 

I questioned whether Shinnie was the right player to bring on. I never said Holmes should have stayed on. He was injured. He was always going to come off. Could we have made a more positive change?

I also questioned whether it was right for Martin to be taken off. I would have taken off Waghorn, not Martin, for Marriott.

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Again, time will tell.

If you genuinely took the time to read my posts, you would see that I am trying to be balanced.

It's not my fault that the moment I post something that doesn't toe the forum line, people pounce upon it and won't let it go. The more positive posts fade into the background.

What agenda could I possibly have? What satisfaction can I possibly gain from Cocu doing a bad job? I don't enjoy seeing us struggle to beat Huddersfield at home. Why would I?

I don't think he's the right man for the job based on what I've seen. But if he goes on and does a fantastic job, I will be ecstatic like everyone else.

Mate

I don’t even know what the forum line is. If you feel like you’ve been pounced on, doesn’t mean you’re right! ?? Just joking!

If you feel that way though, it might just be because you went on quite a bit about his treatment of Bogle - but based purely on speculation on your own head. That’s not balanced and I think it’s legitimate that people challenge that. Don’t you? You can challenge Cocu...but can’t be challenged yourself? 

I can see that there are potential parallels between Nigel and then Mac 1 coming in and (massively) maximising the players we had. But I can’t see why you would say he’s not the man for the job based on what you’ve seen? How should he have dealt with Joinersgate and the way Keogh acted in his interview with HR and then with the club, more publicly? To judge him on this season you’ve have to take the full season (so far) into account - not just what goes on on the pitch. Let’s hope that very soon, we’re all thrilled with Cocu as he develops the team performances and a club culture to make us proud. 

34 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The big problem with your personal different changes is that they are never put to the test so never there to be shot at , it’s so so so easy to come on when things don’t go right and point out that you would have done things differently and thereby imply the manager got it wrong when the truth is doing it your know better than the manager and coach s way could easy have turned into a cluster fux but your safe as it’s never put to the test and is always hindsight driven

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

The big problem with your personal different changes is that they are never put to the test so never there to be shot at , it’s so so so easy to come on when things don’t go right and point out that you would have done things differently and thereby imply the manager got it wrong when the truth is doing it your know better than the manager and coach s way could easy have turned into a cluster fux but your safe as it’s never put to the test and is always hindsight driven

Where have I said different changes would have worked? Where have I said I know better than the manager?

Many people have commented on the changes and said Cocu could have been braver. Why am I being quoted to death?

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Where have I said different changes would have worked? Where have I said I know better than the manager?

Many people have commented on the changes and said Cocu could have been braver. Why am I being quoted to death?

Sorry , silly me I thought you were saying you thought the managers choice of subs was poor and your suggested subs were better 

Archived