v Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Its not like he actually covers that much distance surely....? 

If he isn't fit then Marriott for me. Waghorn is just not a number 9. 

Need something from this game. 

From what I know colitis is a bit tricky and has to be managed carefully.

Perhaps controversially for me Waghorn has been the far more reliable of the two this season (compared to Mariott) and Mariott has done less recently than Knight has. 

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Cocu setting the team up to counter what Swansea might do. You could be forgiven for thinking that the way we are set up says we are scared of Swansea. But if we play like we did against Stoke, it ought to be Swansea that are scared of us.

Hope to goodness that I am wrong.

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

So strange that a man with well documented health issues can’t play three games in a week

How do you know that is why he's not playing? You don't. The choice to play this formation is down to Cocu not Martin's 'health'!

What the actual duck is he doing dropping Martin after the Stoke game?! The main thing we learnt from that game is we are a far far far better team, and score far more goals, when we have Martin upfront and Waghorn wide instead of as a lone striker where he’s much more effective. So what does Cocu do the next game? Drop Martin and revert to Waghorn up front on his own, which we’ve done countless times away from home this season and every single time he’s struggled. 

This is what really really gets me about Cocu. It’s that overly cautious mentality away from home creeping in yet again. And it’s cost us again and again on the road this season. Really don’t get it. Just play the same away from home as you do at home ffs! Smart money is on 3-0 Swansea now for me.

I am disappointed to see Martin not starting, but perhaps we are still handling him with care with respect to his previous health issues.

In which case, I think Marriott was the man to bring in, so he can press from the front and also make runs in behind.

But let’s see what happens. To his credit, Cocu has got very little wrong in recent weeks.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Fair point. Could have thought he might be able to get through all 3 and things changed ? Or might have thought it was better to have Martin's creativity versus Northampton and then a bit more pace and energy against Swansea.

I seem to remember Martin's not a wear and tear fitness so much as if his condition doesn't flair up, he can play, if it does he can't or only for a short while without aggravating it. But without being Chris Martin's bowel, I can't know for sure if it's that or if it's purely tactical from Cocu.

4 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

On that, I suffer from the same condition, and whilst it is different for different people, it manifests as periodic "attacks" between periods of "normality"

If it flares up you aint doing a jot exercise wise, so the fact he has been playing suggests all is quiet currently. The only thing I can think is that during his flare ups he loses his fitness dramtically and then takes a long while to get it back. 

He has been in and around the team and training for most of the season, off the top of my head I can't think of many mystery periods out which may suggest a bout of illness.

If anything Jack Marriott displays the inconsist fitness issues associated with UC. I still think its more to do with tactics than we assume.

I know very little about the condition so excuse my ignorance, but would giving him a rest every few games help the condition/reduce risk of triggering an “attack”

I suppose what I’m trying to ask is, is it reasonable to assume Cocu is taking it easy on him to reduce the risk

I don’t think Waghorn as a striker is necessarily a bad idea.

He looked good in this role towards the end of last season, which is probably what Cocu watched back on tape to give him this impression. But maybe this was because he had the likes of Mount, Wilson and Holmes in support.

I think his work rate and unselfishness is a big plus when he’s playing out wide. Although I can’t say it’s a position he has ever made his own.

That’s the trouble with Waghorn. He’s useful in a few positions, a team player, works his socks off, a good presence in the group, but he wouldn’t be the first name on the team sheet exactly.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Apart from that being the wrong team selection I cant see a lot wrong to be fair.

Cocu is a bizarre human, every time he finds a way to win, he changes it...its like he wont be happy until he finds plan A,B,C,D etc etc etc.

image.gif.bd977c0ea08bad55aceaccf2488a6834.gif

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you know that is why he's not playing? You don't. The choice to play this formation is down to Cocu not Martin's 'health'!

Do you understand irony at all? Or hypocrisy?

You seem to think it's fine to slag someone off on the basis of something you don't know, but woe betide anyone use something they don't know as a reason to defend the decision.

Archived