v Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

Same team as the Stoke game for me. No need to change anything after a 4-0 win - question now is whether we can translate a home performance of that quality into a similar quality away performance. 

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Forsyth

Bird

Waghorn Holmes Rooney Lawrence 

Martin

We really, really need to get an away win here. Swansea have a few exceptional quality players, mainly loanees, but other than those few individuals I don’t actually think their side is quite as good as it’s made out. Not crap obviously, but their position in the table is mainly the result of individual quality from players like Andre Ayew imo. Kind of similar to us last season in a way. If we can find a way to stop the individual threats then this game is certainly a winnable one for me, and we should go in with that positive mentality. A nice efficient away win would boost morale hugely after our horrendous run away from Pride Park - and who knows where we could go if we can get that particular monkey off our back. Would certainly come as a relief to our away following who’ve been through a lot this season!

The important thing for me is to show the same level of positive intent away from home in games like this that we do at home. I want to see that same high energy press when off the ball, and the same intelligent movement when on the ball that we saw against Stoke. Just go there and play our natural, possession based game. There’s no need to panic because we’re not at pride park, it’s stil the same sport, we just need to remain calm and composed in possession, exactly like we were last Friday. Obviously we need much better defensive discipline and organisation than our last away game against Luton as well, naturally. The main threat is obviously likely to come from Ayew so whichever full back is picking him up needs to stay clocked on all game, as well as the other fullback and wingers offering defensive support, to try and stop this conceding from crosses business that seems to have started again against Luton and Northampton. But most importantly, let’s go out with a positive intent rather than the over caution we’ve seen in other away games, and get stuck into the opposition from minute one. Just play like we do at home away from home please Derby!

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just walking out for tea a short while ago and the team bus came past us at the lights. We waved! ??

It's parked up at our hotel. Damn, we missed the players getting off. I can report that none of them are in the bar, though - we are! ?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

OMG! I feel like a right fan-girl, watching the players as they come out of a meeting or supper. Marriott,  Waghorn and Malone spotted so far. Luckily they can't see me. 

We're counting on you to keep them on the straight and narrow. Anything less than a win tomorrow and you will be answerable to B4. 

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's parked up at our hotel. Damn, we missed the players getting off. I can report that none of them are in the bar, though - we are! ?

Wow! You picked a great hotel! I managed it with my son a couple of seasons ago at Charlton. We had gone down on the Friday to see Muse at the O2, and back at the hotel, we recognised the training staff jackets and wondered if it really was them. Its a great feeling. Next morning we shared a lift to breakfast with Chris Martin and Johnny Russell and sat in reception wishing the guys well. Very enjoyable.

Enjoy yourself and have a great breakfast time, Angie!

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Wow! You picked a great hotel! I managed it with my son a couple of seasons ago at Charlton. We had gone down on the Friday to see Muse at the O2, and back at the hotel, we recognised the training staff jackets and wondered if it really was them. Its a great feeling. Next morning we shared a lift to breakfast with Chris Martin and Johnny Russell and sat in reception wishing the guys well. Very enjoyable.

Enjoy yourself and have a great breakfast time, Angie!

Enjoy myself? I have just walked straight past Wayne Rooney and all I mustered was a weak smile. I am hopeless! 

14 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Pfffttt. You're such a half-fan. Fawning over the 1st team players. Did you not realise that the U23s had a big game tonight? 

Yes. We were watching on the phone with one eye! 

And in my defence, I did get quite excited when Whittaker,  Sibbo and Bird came through reception.  I didn't spot Jason Knight, though.

More seriously, I know three fans who are in York tonight and will be down here in Swansea tomorrow.  Now that's being a full fan. ?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you seen Chrissy? ?

Yes. Some other fans popped into the hotel for a drink and one of them went out to chat to Martin and Lawrence when they came through. 

I can now report Cocu has just gone up so I think that's that for the evening. 

Archived