v Swansea (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Wags upfront is the only issue with that team

Same for me. I get we are unbelievably slow and we will need to counter, so he’s attempted to sort that a little bit. It just doesn’t work though when Waghorn is a terrible striker in every sense. 

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Quiet reminder that Martin might not be able to physically play 3 games in a week before we start reaching for pitchforks.

He also isn't the only other striker in the team though. We usually change to one up top for away games.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

More from  your spy on the inside. ?️‍♀️ I have seen Jason Knight this morning so that's all the squad accounted for. I plucked up courage and wished some of the players well as they came through reception earlier. Most were pleasant, and Tom Lawrence stopped and said thank you, the rest just grinned and waved. 

I have come upstairs out of the way now as there is quite a posse gathering in there, including two young lads with a Manchester United shirt. I wonder who they are waiting for? ?

My cheeky husband came up in the lift with Liam Rosenior and just asked him if the team was the same as Stoke, but he laughed and told him he'd have to wait and see! Sensible bloke, Liam. 

MOST were pleasant ? Spill the beans angie

Well I like that team. Loads of youthful energy, some old heads at the back and Rooney to pull some strings.

Say what you like about Waggy .. he gives everything and despite his flaws still finds the net pretty often.

COYR 

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He also isn't the only other striker in the team though. We usually change to one up top for away games.

Have we ? Because to be honest I've thought for the most part we've lined up with 1 up top in most games this season, with Waghorn on the right on occasion. 

I get your point but to be honest if Martin isn't fit to start then Knight seems the obvious choice to bring in based on form

I can see what he’s trying to do here, he’s trying to tighten it up with this team as we’re on he road.

Waghorn is the only striker that will work like a dog with some physical presence and bringing Knight into Waghorns position from the stoke game will help shore up that midfield. We’re going to be on the back foot more than at home and Martin doesn’t defend from the front  particularly well. 

I may not totally agree with it but I can see the thinking behind it.l, the downfall is Wags isn’t really a loan striker so I’m guessing we’re waiting till the summer so PC can get the type of player he wants for that striker role.

I expect this to be the nucleus of the team for the rest of the season now. With minor personnel changes depending upon whether we are home or away 

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Quiet reminder that Martin might not be able to physically play 3 games in a week before we start reaching for pitchforks.

Its not like he actually covers that much distance surely....? 

If he isn't fit then Marriott for me. Waghorn is just not a number 9. 

Need something from this game. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Well surely you'd leave him out the Northampton replay then.

Fair point. Could have thought he might be able to get through all 3 and things changed ? Or might have thought it was better to have Martin's creativity versus Northampton and then a bit more pace and energy against Swansea.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Same for me. I get we are unbelievably slow and we will need to counter, so he’s attempted to sort that a little bit. It just doesn’t work though when Waghorn is a terrible striker in every sense. 

Glad Forsyth is back in, he had a good game against stoke and deserves to start. Only change I’d make it Martin in for knight and move waghorn to the right

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think we’re going to see a striker come in during the summer who can play that lone striker role, till then PC will make do with what he has

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

So strange that a man with well documented health issues can’t play three games in a week

On that, I suffer from the same condition, and whilst it is different for different people, it manifests as periodic "attacks" between periods of "normality"

If it flares up you aint doing a jot exercise wise, so the fact he has been playing suggests all is quiet currently. The only thing I can think is that during his flare ups he loses his fitness dramtically and then takes a long while to get it back. 

He has been in and around the team and training for most of the season, off the top of my head I can't think of many mystery periods out which may suggest a bout of illness.

If anything Jack Marriott displays the inconsist fitness issues associated with UC. I still think its more to do with tactics than we assume.

Archived