Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. 

I imagine he wouldn't be particularly keen on going mad after scoring a goal in a dead rubber against a reserve XI of a team celebrating winning the title. Similar to scoring in a pre-season friendly. 

It wasnt the celebrating, more his chat on screen with Cocu i think when lawrence was injured or in a drinks break

Mixed feelings about this.

As much as I love Martin and believe in him, we can’t afford to be dolling out big money for an ageing striker when there’s glaring holes across the squad. The deal has to really suit us for it to be worth it in the big picture. That’s either going to be lower wages over two years or a one year deal.

However, him signing is probably the best scenario at striker next year. Having that trio of Waghorn, Martin and Marriott back is a really solid foundation at striker, all three of them are capable and complimentary. Combining the high floor of Waghorn (reliable, hard working and will grab 10+ goals if he gets the playing time) with the high ceilings of Martin/Marriott is good enough.

This isn’t the window to be messing about in. There’s other parts of the squad that really need help, we don’t need to spend money trying to strike gold on a striking department that isn’t our weakness in comparison to our wingers and centre backs. Not cheap positions to fill.

Martin was playing as well as he ever has for Derby before lockdown, we destroyed Wednesday and Blackburn with our young talent playing off him. His goals per minute are better than Waghorn’s and obviously Marriott’s, he suits the playing style and he’s popped up with crucial goals in a lacklustre attack. People discount his contributions because he’s fat, lazy Chris Martin but he’s been our best striker this year, no doubt. He’s going to finish as top goalscorer.

I don’t think he’s looked as good post lockdown but that’s obviously understandable. Being forced to start every game due to Waghorn’s suspension and Marriott’s injury hasn’t helped.

I think with other improvements to the squad we can be competitive next season with Martin back then get in a long term striker next summer when we don’t have the EFL looking over our shoulder and a bar steward pandemic affecting the market.

Ultimately we should trust Cocu’s judgement and he wants Martin back.

I love Chris Martin as much as anyone. We shouldn't be held to ransom though on his contract. He's been paid well for the last 4 years and deservedly so. But the times are changing, I'm guessing apart from Rooney and Lawrence he's our highest earner. I doubt he'll be receive a bigger contract elsewhere. Who's gonna pay him 20-25k in this league? Forsyth was happy enough to accept a new contract on lower terms. I'll be gutted if Chris goes, what a player he has been. A shame money is getting in the way.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's only been posted a couple of times, thanks.

Or it could be they'd all just had a half-time bollocking from Cocu.

Or that he was genuinely disappointed that we weren’t in play off fight anymore, so the goal meant nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Or that he was genuinely disappointed that we weren’t in play off fight anymore, so the goal meant nothing. 

He's not the only one who dislikes losing

Cocu continued: “The young players especially are really open to learn and that’s been a pleasure. If we don’t win then I am struggling having a good time but that doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying it at the club.”

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's only been posted a couple of times, thanks.

Or it could be they'd all just had a half-time bollocking from Cocu.

Perhaps it was because of the contract issue?

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Have you done any more than the most basic research on this?

I've listed this before - As a team we're 20th on shots per game, 20th on shots (pg) inside the box and 23rd on shots (pg) in the six yard box

We're 8th on total goals scored, 19th on goals (pg) in 6 yard box, 13th on goals (pg) in penalty area and 1st on goals (pg) outside the box

Now I'm sure you will be a 'stats don't mean anything' person but these give some indications - We're not creating enough chances for our forwards, we're not getting the ball in the box enough and we're not getting the ball to Martin enough

Martin has 11 goals from an average shots per game of 1.1 - Over 2,008 mins of football that means he has had 24 shots

Mitrovic has 26 goals from an average of 3.8 shots per game - Over 3,500 mins of football he's had 148 shots

The problem isn't with Martin - The problem is we're not getting it to him anywhere near enough

I mostly agree with your point, but it doesn’t explain why Marriott and Waghorn get shots off more regularly than Martin - 3.5 and 2.6 vs 1.7 shots per 90

Got to say if Martin does go I wouldn’t miss the constant debate , I said the other day that perhaps our front line was a tad stale and the debate matches it ,we all just keep going over and over the same ground for what feels like such a long time now 

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Got to say if Martin does go I wouldn’t miss the constant debate , I said the other day that perhaps our front line was a tad stale and the debate matches it ,we all just keep going over and over the same ground for what feels like such a long time now 

Waiting for the contract init.

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

it doesn’t explain why Marriott and Waghorn get shots off more regularly than Martin - 3.5 and 2.6 vs 1.7 shots per 90

Because Martin has a better awareness of his teammates, who may be in a better position to score?

18 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Because Martin has a better awareness of his teammates, who may be in a better position to score?

This. If his teammates returned his passes occasionally he would have had another 4 or 5 goals this season, imo, too.

Said this before but the reality is Chris Martin being a part of a Derby side again should be considered a bonus in the first place. To see him in a Derby shirt, never made as an indespenisble part of the first team, just made me happy. To ask for anything else past this season I feel may be being a little greedy, but no doubt it also comes from the amount he’s contributed over most of those that will be left.

Find a lot of the debate funny really, be it the body language experts or that posters are seemingly annoyed that a small section of us are a bit vocal about liking the guy. Fully get the idea of moving on, but when a credible argument is made to who and what that is then I’m all ears and the debate can progress. But if I’m honest, I’m not sure I’ve seen any credible arguments that are better right now?

I hope he signs on, if not I’m happy with what we we’ve got out of him and hope Cocu has something in place. 

Archived