Bristol 27/04/19 2-0

Carabao Cup
Scunthorpe 13/08/19 1-0

FA Cup
Palace 05/01/20 1-0
Accrington 26/01/19 1-0
Southampton 16/01/19 2-2 (won on pens)

6 Championship wins, and 3 Carabao Cup wins earlier in the 18/19 season too

What about Man U in the cup on pens.... ? not that it makes it look much better ?

Oh wait, you said 3 others in the cup... assume one of those that one... ignore me, I'm a tit.

10 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Last night was a sad tale to say the least. After getting the goal we should have controlled the next 15 minutes. First half was pretty even with both teams showing a lack of a cutting edge. Second half we came out and played with a real tempo and took the game to Luton. we were all over them and should have gone in front through Lawrence. We got the goal went ballistic at Rooney's deflected goal looping into the top bin (not how I'd imagine Wayne's first goal). This is where we showed a real lack of game management and pure panic. 

I couldn't really see what happened for their first goal at the time but a decent strike however Holmes needs to take some blame for not being in front of the man on the edge of the box. He's trying to cheat thinking of a breakaway rather than defending first and attacking second. Another set piece conceded. 

Second goal... No aggression in our defending, also looked a mismatch in terms of who was marking their towering defender. Another set piece ffs. 

Our second goal. Credit where its due, brilliant cross from Bogle and a proper centre forwards header from Chrissy. That should have been the point. We'd messed up a game we should have won now make sure you don't lose it. 

The red card. I do think it was a foul on Lowe before Hamer picked it up however he probably should have just booted it. Absolutely no excuses for Lowe after that. Complete headloss and I'd imagine he's pretty embarrassed by it. Now we have to put up with old Spaghetti Legs for 3 games. Personally would rather Fozzy at left back. Better in the air, 

Their third goal. Naive, weak, feeble are words that come to mind. Clarke has to do better, was beaten too easily and then what was Bogle doing? Harder to put that into your net than actually clear it. Hes got a habit of getting his feet in a tangle and its cost us. 

Some might say rotten luck but this really should have been a game we win. We'd have moved up to 13th had we won, extended the run and in good confidence going into a tricky game Friday. That cloud over our away form just got darker losing to bottom of the league. Its going to get harder. 

Subs wise Cocu should have introduced Marriott and Martin sooner. Waggy just isn't doing enough. Marriott stretches the game and defenders don't like how he drags them around. Martin has better hold up and is a clever player to link up with Rooney. 

The lack of trickery, guile, craft what ever you want to call it is so obvious. Really crying out for a someone who's going to take players on and beat them however this is nothing new and looking likely we won't get anyone in will mean we may find it difficult to improve fortunes for the remainder of the season. Really disappointed last night, and you could see Cocu was really annoyed and embarrassed how we threw that away. Is he blameless? Absolutely not but its the players who should take the brunt of this. They are the ones who are in control of the outcome and just didn't face up to the challenge. 

Sadly I feel its just going to get worse in the short term before it gets better. We need to grim and bear it this season I feel. Stoke at home becomes even more important now to get a win. 

Outstanding summary of the game and sums up the current situation perfectly ?

Last night was just our season on 90 minutes. 

Lots of possession, didn’t create much until the last 20 minutes. We do not need a striker in Jan, we need a winger. It looks like we need a striker because Waghorn isn’t working up front on his own. I’d put Waggy on the wing as he can actually put a cross and I’d put Martin up front.

All this calling for a 20 goal a season striker? Do me a favour, look at Chris Martins minutes to goals ratio. I’d put money on him bagging 15+ a season as well as setting 15 up. 

problem is when he did have a run in the team, he was a victim of our lack of service. 

New defender, new attacking/creative midfielder and an out and out winger and we’ll be fine. 

^Terms and conditions apply, results subject to players participating in their natural position. Please see previous results for details*

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Leave Rooney in the team and we still have nothing.

Did nothing more than anyone else now and to be honest as had one good game so far.

Except being our most forward player, Intelligent passing of the ball, Scoring a goal, Putting decent corners in, But if you'd like to put him on a par with Lawrence and Waghorn then we're fooked.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

It’s all got a bit (melo)dramatic again hasn’t it?

We will play badly and lose games of football.  All teams do.  We are not very good this season, particularly away from home.  People know this. So losing away to Luton, while very disappointing, should not have come as a massive surprise. 

I’ve said before that I’m not completely convinced by Cocu.  I don’t think he’s getting the best out of what we’ve got, but I also accept that what we’ve got probably isn’t good enough and the reasons for that are not Cocu’s fault.  He has been dealt a dodgy hand.  In this context, I’m willing to give him time to get things sorted, build a team he wants and he some stability.  

There is clearly going to be some pain in that approach, but getting somebody else in at the moment is unlikely to change anything.

I really do think that some of the reactions to losing are way over the top and unnecessary... but that will never change.

In that case may I suggest to Mr Cocu to pack his bags and go now, He was one hell of a player, Did very well at PSV as Manager but not so much at Fenerbahce, If he can't make an ordinary player JUST that little bit better then heaven forbid.

So either he's not up to it, Or the players aren't up for it, Lutons players showed what can be done with just a little desire.

19 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

Lots of possession, didn’t create much until the last 20 minutes. We do not need a striker in Jan, we need a winger. It looks like we need a striker because Waghorn isn’t working up front on his own. I’d put Waggy on the wing as he can actually put a cross and I’d put Martin up front.

All this calling for a 20 goal a season striker? Do me a favour, look at Chris Martins minutes to goals ratio. I’d put money on him bagging 15+ a season as well as setting 15 up. 

problem is when he did have a run in the team, he was a victim of our lack of service. 

New defender, new attacking/creative midfielder and an out and out winger and we’ll be fine. 

^Terms and conditions apply, results subject to players participating in their natural position. Please see previous results for details*

Spot on.

2 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

We have just lost to bottom of the table Luton 

So, would you drop the whole team that were involved last night or are you saying, in your opinion, Wisdom and Clarke were largely the only ones responsible for the defeat? 

I conceded last night wasn't there finest hour (or 90+ minutes) but I think they've been more than OK in their other games playing together. If we're going to drop players after every less than good game then our squad rotation is going to increase significantly.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So, would you drop the whole team that were involved last night or are you saying, in your opinion, Wisdom and Clarke were largely the only ones responsible for the defeat? 

I conceded last night wasn't there finest hour (or 90+ minutes) but I think they've been more than OK in their other games playing together. If we're going to drop players after every less than good game then our squad rotation is going to increase significantly.

Wisdom has only played twice at centre back with Clarke before this hasn’t he ? 

5 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Wisdom has only played twice at centre back with Clarke before this hasn’t he ? 

Not sure. Feels like more but you're probably right. But if they played two decent games together but then one less than good (unlike everyone else on the pitch last night?) should we change the partnership? If so, as I said, we'd be rotating the squad so much they'd all be dizzy.

A lot of the issues from last night involved having such an inexperienced side. 

Bogle, Lowe, Knight and Bird are poor in the air. Holmes leaps well but isn't going to beat many. 

When we contest set pieces, there's a lot of pressure on two players, Wisdom and Clarke, to get the ball safe. 

Last night we also played like a home team and got caught on the break. 

It was the perfect barometer for those who want exciting football against those who want the pragmatic approach. 

54 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

These sorts of comments could apply to more than Martin. Who amongst our squad has not been 'messed about' by Cocu's tinkering? Probably only Lawrence? I just cannot see what he gets out of playing the way he does.

ps where was Shinnie?

Just now, Dimmu said:

I would've loved the meltdown here if the red card would've been for Malone, not Lowe.

Lucky escape being one of our own. Pure stupidity.

I think its as much to do with the fact that its the first time we've seen Lowe do something particularly stupid. And while I get Lowe's anger in the moment and agree with it, I don't think anyone can suggest it wasn't a stupid thing to do. 

You're right, Malone would have been torn apart - but he's done plenty of stupid things. Just this season he's been booked multiple times for shenanigans on the sidelines this season, I recall. Don't remember if it was throwing the ball away or interfering with opposition throws but it definitely happened more than once.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

A lot of the issues from last night involved having such an inexperienced side. 

Bogle, Lowe, Knight and Bird are poor in the air. Holmes leaps well but isn't going to beat many. 

When we contest set pieces, there's a lot of pressure on two players, Wisdom and Clarke, to get the ball safe. 

Last night we also played like a home team and got caught on the break. 

It was the perfect barometer for those who want exciting football against those who want the pragmatic approach. 

I agree and it's not just experience,  it's all round physicality. We seem to be mis-matched with every team we play against, both in terms of height and bulk.

I have always been quite pleased that we have resisted the temptation to fill the side with tall, thug-like units but I realise we have to be very, very good to gain promotion without going down that route. And we're nowhere near very good at the moment.

On the excitement front, I thought last night's second half was reminiscent of some of our performances under MacClaren after the injuries hit - we went for it but were never quite in control so it was a toss-up between a win and a loss. It made for exciting football but variable results. With a bit of luck and a more reasonable ref we might have got away with it.

But this season, both luck and officialdom have deserted us.

Archived