Stand Up - who've you seen the most, best, want to see etc.

Bob The Badger

I've seen both Doug Stanhope and Jim Jefferies live 7 times. Both excellent every time. 

The first time I saw JJ live the place was 75% empty and it was a small venue. The last time it was packed and it was an arena. 

Saw Louis CK a few months ago at an unadvertised gig in a venue that barely held 200 people in Tampa and was almost sat on the stage with him. 

His opening line was 'I used to play arenas'.

Yeh but you didn't use material that dark. Brilliant though.

Best live was Frank Skinner in Sheffield about 2002, almost 50% was material about stuff that happened that weekend. 

Billy Connolly was good but on stage way too long - almost 3 hours. And Steve Coogan was fantastic. 

Eddie Izard wasn't far behind Skinner, but his newer stuff is too anal imho. 

Seen loads of US-based comedians since moving to Florida that aren't that well known in the UK, but of those that you guys may know, Trevor Noah was brilliant both times, Chris Rock was good, but a bit ranty about his divorce, as was Bill Maher about Trump.

Would love to see Gervais, Jimmy Carr, Judah Friedlander, Rick Vos, Dave Attell and a few more that I don't think have been to Orlando  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seen Micky Flanagan a few times and he's brilliant. Bit left-field is Jonathan Pie, very clever and entertaining as a spoof political reporter. Was disappointed with Sean Lock. When I saw Frankie Boyle, I came away thinking he wasn't a decent human.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

seen Micky Flanagan a few times and he's brilliant. Bit left-field is Jonathan Pie, very clever and entertaining as a spoof political reporter. Was disappointed with Sean Lock. When I saw Frankie Boyle, I came away thinking he wasn't a decent human.

I know what you mean. 

I think he is funny and quite clever but occasionally I was left thinking 'that's just horrible' 

My favourite of those I've seen live is Dylan Moran. 

Would love to have seen Dave Allen live. 

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I know what you mean. 

I think he is funny and quite clever but occasionally I was left thinking 'that's just horrible' 

My favourite of those I've seen live is Dylan Moran. 

Would love to have seen Dave Allen live. 

So would I. but we all have to die sometime.

Tony Law is great if you're into sillyness and surrealism. He seems to tour pretty much non stop and his tickets are always relatively cheap.

The best stand up I've seen was probably Kevin Eldon a few years ago at the fringe. Phil Jupitus was also excellent, which was a nice surprise. I'd only ever seen Jupitus on panel shows and was expecting a fairly generic set, but he performed a very funny hour almost entirely improvised based on audience suggestions.

I'm catching up a bit on comedians via YouTube when they pop up as suggestions, having been over here more than 20 years I'm well lost as to who's worth watching.

I remember when I was very young seeing Frankie Howard in the theatre at the end of Skegness Pier. I was far too young to remember anything of the show however. I did go to see though Kevin Turvey and the bar steward Squad, which was when the Young Ones was at it's height.

I shall have to look up some of the suggestions, although some I know through quiz shows (Jimmy Carr, Phil Jupitus....) like Have I Got News for You, the Big Fat Quiz of the Year....

I’m a bit of a comedy nerd so I’ve done the Edinburgh fringe a few times plus other smaller festivals. The best I’ve seen are Stewart Lee and Daniel Kitson, seeing Kitson just doing crowd work tops any structured show I’ve seen whilst Lee makes the most ridiculous structure look effortless.

Of newer people James Acaster and Kiri Pritchard-McLean are both excellent, John Kearns has probably done the two best shows I’ve seen at the fringe. Hannah Gadsby’s show on Netflix is also worth a watch, although not strictly stand up per se (and probably comes with a couple of trigger warnings) I think it shows the potential of how powerful stand up can be.

I really love stand up, it’s sometimes about finding a needle in a haystack I that you can go through 9 acts you don’t like to find the one you think is a genius. As @Van Cone De Head says the arena shows never really appeal and largely disappoint in my experience, the best experiences are being in a small room of 30-150 and I’d always encourage people to find their local comedy clubs and festivals. On that front it was a shame that Derby Comedy Festival worked out although that’s another debate in of itself. What I will say is the Buxton Fringe Festival gets it spot on and is worth a trip to.

On 20/01/2020 at 12:42, Anon said:

Tony Law is great if you're into sillyness and surrealism. He seems to tour pretty much non stop and his tickets are always relatively cheap.

The best stand up I've seen was probably Kevin Eldon a few years ago at the fringe. Phil Jupitus was also excellent, which was a nice surprise. I'd only ever seen Jupitus on panel shows and was expecting a fairly generic set, but he performed a very funny hour almost entirely improvised based on audience suggestions.

Love Tony Law, when he’s on form there’s no one better. On a similar vein I’d add Simon Munnery and Phil Kay who I’ve seen brilliant, alright and bomb. It’s a bit of a gamble with what you get, but when they get it right it’s something special.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

On that front it was a shame that Derby Comedy Festival DIDNT WORK out although that’s another debate in of itself. What I will say is the Buxton Fringe Festival gets it spot on and is worth a trip to.

Always read your posts before sending folks

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Love Tony Law, when he’s on form there’s no one better. On a similar vein I’d add Simon Munnery and Phil Kay who I’ve seen brilliant, alright and bomb. It’s a bit of a gamble with what you get, but when they get it right it’s something special.

I've seen Simon Munnery and I'd say he was alright on that occasion, but I am holding him to a very high standard. Did you ever catch a Pappy's Fun Club show at the fringe? Their humour is kind of archaic, almost like a modern version of the goons, but in terms of playing the room and getting the audience invested they are amongst the best I've seen.

I totally agree with you regarding smaller venues too. I absolutely love the Stand. All their rooms are perfect and whoever does their booking is a genius.

4 hours ago, Anon said:

I've seen Simon Munnery and I'd say he was alright on that occasion, but I am holding him to a very high standard. Did you ever catch a Pappy's Fun Club show at the fringe? Their humour is kind of archaic, almost like a modern version of the goons, but in terms of playing the room and getting the audience invested they are amongst the best I've seen.

I totally agree with you regarding smaller venues too. I absolutely love the Stand. All their rooms are perfect and whoever does their booking is a genius.

Saw Pappy's a few years ago. Genius.

Archived