Stand Up - who've you seen the most, best, want to see etc.

Bob The Badger

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Spike Milligan (anyone who calls Prince Charles a grovelling little bar steward live at an award is comedy genius), followed by Jasper Carrot and Lee Mack. 

Worst Chubby Brown, used to like his shock jokes, but last time I saw him was several years after Princess Di died and he was still at her, too sick and dated.

Seen a lot of good ones all very different. Rik Mayall, Jack Dee, Lee Evans (unknown at the time support to Jack Dee), Bernard Manning, Jimmy Carr, Phil Jupitus (unknown at the time). I will say Manning was 2 hours not stop jokes with a LOT of laughter from everyone in a packed venue of people from all age groups. He was the best. None I can recall were specially bad although Newman and Baddiel had part of their act with each doing their own solo spot. Newman was not very funny. Chubby Brown has been mentioned who I've not seen live but there is something about him. I just don't like his routine.

On 20/01/2020 at 12:42, Anon said:

Tony Law is great if you're into sillyness and surrealism. He seems to tour pretty much non stop and his tickets are always relatively cheap.

The best stand up I've seen was probably Kevin Eldon a few years ago at the fringe. Phil Jupitus was also excellent, which was a nice surprise. I'd only ever seen Jupitus on panel shows and was expecting a fairly generic set, but he performed a very funny hour almost entirely improvised based on audience suggestions.

I went as part of two couples, years ago to a tiny venue with no idea who was on, and Tony Law was on last.  Me and my mate were just howling all the way through ...I was literally crying and was nearly being sick it was tickling me that much.

However, the two ladies were just totally unmoved....kept looking at us both, like Wtf.!

So odd how absolute the different reactions were. 

Seen him a few times and yes he is hit n miss with his 'material' but I could listen to  him say anything and it makes me laugh. Don't know what it is about him...he just makes me laugh whatever he says. 

To the uninitiated, he is deliberately shambolic and seemingly unprepared...its a kind of in-joke that he is stealing a living and has no jokes. He just rambles and returns to daft stories such as him being a 1970s US trampolining star who pioneered the importance of keeping 'hydrated'. 

Any Jerry Sadowitz fans? Probably one of the only true controversial comedians who genuinely doesn't care who he offends (as opposed to trying to offend people to generate publicity). Plus he had his LP banned and remaindered in 1988 because he included a bit where he said Jimmy Savile was a paedophile and all his charity work was just a front so that people would never believe any allegations against him! 

On 22/01/2020 at 11:38, Anon said:

I've seen Simon Munnery and I'd say he was alright on that occasion, but I am holding him to a very high standard. Did you ever catch a Pappy's Fun Club show at the fringe? Their humour is kind of archaic, almost like a modern version of the goons, but in terms of playing the room and getting the audience invested they are amongst the best I've seen.

I totally agree with you regarding smaller venues too. I absolutely love the Stand. All their rooms are perfect and whoever does their booking is a genius.

Love Pappys but never saw them at the fringe. Been to a couple of live recordings of Slamdown at the Machynlleth Comedy fest and seen them headline a charity bill in Sheffield but not a full show. Saying that I’ve seen Tom Parry quite a few times, he always done a solo show at Mach and he was the reason I ended up going to Buxton Fringe last year as I wanted to see his show he was taking to Edinburgh! Can never quite work out how they weren’t on tv more, although Badults probably closed that particular door

The Stand is great, so many of my fringe memories are held there. You could quite happily spend a fringe trip going between York Place and a few free fringe venues and have a brilliant time and not even touch the busy areas of the city. First time I went was a Daniel Kitson 1am show in that main room and I still think it’s my favourite fringe memory. 

Recently took a trip to Glasgow and ended up going to the one there on a Sunday night and watching a bill of local acts (it also has a great pub called The Doublet near by and a brilliant Italian, who knew Partick was home to so many Italians after the Second World War?). Keep trying to arrange a Newcastle weekend and do similar as quite a few of the acts from that way seem to play there and nowhere else I can go see them. They are definently worth looking at because you can fit them in to a weekend break

On 25/01/2020 at 17:09, SchtivePesley said:

Any Jerry Sadowitz fans? Probably one of the only true controversial comedians who genuinely doesn't care who he offends (as opposed to trying to offend people to generate publicity). Plus he had his LP banned and remaindered in 1988 because he included a bit where he said Jimmy Savile was a paedophile and all his charity work was just a front so that people would never believe any allegations against him! 

I like Sadowitz, always wanted to see his shows that are part magic, part stand up but they are always pricey shows and are meant to be a bit hit and miss (again). Also when I’ve seen the more offensive style stand ups ive loved certain aspects then hated others, sometimes it’s even that they audience aren’t taking the joke as intended but the comedian goes with the audience rather than maybe go another way ie the stand up should be lowest common denominator and therefore should always be the joke over what they are saying (by all accounts this is what Sadowitz does well)

Saw Stewart Lee last night, wasn’t my absolute favourite time I’ve seen him but I was right at the back of the top balcony at Sheffield City Hall where it was too hot with tight seating which played a part in it. Still enjoyed it, laughed a lot anyway...I was just glad to get out of the room!

Archived