The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

56 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I assume you're approaching this subject as a black person yourself?

Perhaps he's approaching as a white person who had family in Northern Ireland during the civil rights marches in the 70's.  Think they may know something about discrimination, or is that not hip now.  Perhaps they were too privileged.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Again, I think the majority were there for a reason and knew what they were doing.

If we were talking about smashing shop windows and looting the contents, I’d agree with you.

Obviously Bristol don't have a council planning committee. Or the matter was put to them but the outcome wasn't found to be acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Obviously Bristol don't have a council planning committee. Or the matter was put to them but the outcome wasn't found to be acceptable. 

Apparently they had a vote a few years ago and it was narrowly in favour of those who wanted it to stay. I’m not necessarily advocating the overriding of a democratic decision (though, as suggested, I won’t be crying about it either), but I do find the result of the vote quite disturbing.

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is that the royal we? If you mean can you assume then you're totally wrong in your assumption. Just because I don't condone the manner of their protests in the middle of a global pandemic doesn't mean I don't support the cause they are protesting about. 

So why are you pleased that they are losing the support of the public? Because that is exactly what you said, and that seems to contradict your clarification. Perhaps I'm thick - after all, someone actually said "Anyone with half a brain can see ….." and I couldn't. Perhaps he was right. Or perhaps you really are capable of doublethink, because you seem to have contradicted yourself.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Apparently they had a vote a few years ago and it was narrowly in favour of those who wanted it to stay. I’m not necessarily advocating the overriding of a democratic decision (though, as suggested, I won’t be crying about it either), but I do find the result of the vote quite disturbing.

They could have given it to Jacob Rees-Mogg. He'd have appreciated it.

33 minutes ago, cstand said:

No plenty of examples of that on here

So you don't listen to black people unless they're politically aligned with Trump?

Thank for your candour.

32 minutes ago, cstand said:

Black people close to Trump in the White House how can that be thought the whole of America was completely racist and black people have no opportunities in their lives to better themselves.

How could the entire country be racist, that would make no sense at all?

Black people close to Trump, of course their must be, after all not everyone's experience is the same.

Why should black people have to better themselves, are they not good enough as they are?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

So why are you pleased that they are losing the support of the public? Because that is exactly what you said, and that seems to contradict your clarification. Perhaps I'm thick - after all, someone actually said "Anyone with half a brain can see ….." and I couldn't. Perhaps he was right. Or perhaps you really are capable of doublethink, because you seem to have contradicted yourself.

Maybe I'm thick too then as I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Least I'm in good company. 

The police have now tried the none violent approach to appease the rioters, it doesn't seem to be calming down though does it? I'm not going to call it a protest anymore, people are outright chasing police down in the streets of London, and if the coppers don't get tough then it sends the message that this is okay. 

1 minute ago, philmycocu said:

And they've probably read about how Churchill defeated the Nazis.

Contrary to what I think you're implying, I did cover Churchill's heroics at school (albeit at A Level). If anything, I think we brushed over the less-than-savoury elements of his character. It's possible to recognise what he did for this country while condemning some of his problematic views and policies.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Happy for the protestors to carry on filling their boots. They are rapidly losing the goodwill and support of the public regards the matters they are protesting about, every time a video of them causing wanton destruction appears in the national media or internet then it further reinforces the public opinion that they are just mindless thugs and hooligans. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Maybe I'm thick too then as I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Least I'm in good company. 

Highlighted the bit that confused me. I'm old, so 'baffled' is my natural state nowadays, but it seems to suggest that you are happy for them to continue being pillocks, and that by doing so, an inevitable consequence is that they are losing any support they had.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

The police have now tried the none violent approach to appease the rioters, it doesn't seem to be calming down though does it? I'm not going to call it a protest anymore, people are outright chasing police down in the streets of London, and if the coppers don't get tough then it sends the message that this is okay. 

They will all have their day in court.

The Met will scour the footage and work out who they are. 6am one Sunday morning in three months time ......  knock, knock, knock.

It will all be a lot less exhilarating when they are sat in court in their suit with a bored barrister and their Mum in tears.

The core cause is noble, but violence is never the answer.

Also, the Media are like flies around poop and chucking bikes at Police horses is now the story.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Highlighted the bit that confused me. I'm old, so 'baffled' is my natural state nowadays, but it seems to suggest that you are happy for them to continue being pillocks, and that by doing so, an inevitable consequence is that they are losing any support they had.

I don't want them to protest full stop as it's totally irresponsible in the middle of a global pandemic. The government seems quite happy to allow them to carry on protesting and the police are paying lip service to them, I wonder if it's a plan by BoJo to lump the blame onto them if there is a second wave and draw the attention from him who knows. If they lost the support of the public then I hope this would bring all this to a quicker end then another number of weekends of a total breach of lockdown rules and with some random violence tagged onto the end.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm sure you don't need my help - feel free to post any of Johnson's quotes or sayings you want to.

Could you post a link to where you originally got your quote from? 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't want them to protest full stop as it's totally irresponsible in the middle of a global pandemic. The government seems quite happy to allow them to carry on protesting and the police are paying lip service to them, I wonder if it's a plan by BoJo to lump the blame onto them if there is a second wave and draw the attention from him who knows. If they lost the support of the public then I hope this would bring all this to a quicker end then another number of weekends of a total breach of lockdown rules and with some random violence tagged onto the end.

Was going to post that earlier. The government have an easy get out clause now. Blame the protests. 

Also, they can lift lockdown earlier with little resistance now. Talk of closing beaches. Not now there won't be. The public won't have it now. 

Cummings is forgotten about, and now Owen Jones will just talk about horses and JK Rowling. 

No talk of PPE or testing targets. Just police officers hitting traffic lights. 

Couldn't have come at a better time for the government. 

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Was going to post that earlier. The government have an easy get out clause now. Blame the protests. 

Also, they can lift lockdown earlier with little resistance now. Talk of closing beaches. Not now there won't be. The public won't have it now. 

Cummings is forgotten about, and now Owen Jones will just talk about horses and JK Rowling. 

No talk of PPE or testing targets. Just police officers hitting traffic lights. 

Couldn't have come at a better time for the government. 

Said it the other day. Cummings really is the evil genius we feared. Hopefully his statue will get pulled down around 2250.

Archived