The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

Sith Happens
15 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's possible to think that but not be devastated if it does get torn down.

Its what next that worries me, you only have to have others looking and thinking what can we go out and vandalise in the name of protesting.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Surely the removal of these archaic monuments should be achieved in a peaceful, not violent, manner though.

Exactly, but filming yourself carrying out mindless vandalism is more fashionable perhaps in 300 years time their descendants will remember them for ignoring the plight of modern day slavery in the UK which affects up to 10,000,  but pulling down a statue is more important. 

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Can we bang the saucepan against the head of a racist? Asking for a friend.

Or just bang the heads of racists together.

Ah crap maybe not Ive just condemned violence in another post.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

"Leaving would cause business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems that have nothing to do with Europe."

Boris Johnson, February 2016

Could you post the rest of what he said in his column that day? 

What you have quoted appears to start from a midpoint in his sentence. 

29 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Surely the removal of these archaic monuments should be achieved in a peaceful, not violent, manner though.

I don't think it should be there. But it was voted on not long a go, and the people of Bristol wanted it kept. 

A plaque was added to acknowledge his part in slavery.

The thing is, do you judge the man on making money, that at the time was supported by the elite and the church etc, or do you judge him on all the charity work he did. 

For me, he shouldn't have a statue, but we live in a democracy, and it was voted it should remain. 

13 minutes ago, Norman said:

I don't think it should be there. But it was voted on not long a go, and the people of Bristol wanted it kept. 

The thing is, do you judge the man on making money, that at the time was supported by the elite and the church etc, or do you judge him on all the charity work he did. 

For me, he shouldn't have a statue, but we live in a democracy, and it was voted it should remain. 

Unfortunately some people prefer mob rule especially younger people.

20 minutes ago, Norman said:

The thing is, do you judge the man on making money, that at the time was supported by the elite and the church etc, or do you judge him on all the charity work he did

Think most of this is fair, but not sure about the bolded bit. Nobody judges Jimmy Savile for his charity work.

59 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Nottingham today....someone might need to explain to me how the content of the yellow placard being held up is in anyway beneficial.

Maybe that's his hobby?

26 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

IMG_20200607_165211.jpg.88f1fc914d84635b20770e63f743481e.jpg

God help us all. 

Looking forward to seeing if we have the same level of goodwill from the general public or admin staff in hospitals when we get a second wave - or rise in the first wave that has calmed down .  Can you see people making ppe, changing work patterns, putting themselves voluntarily at risk to help others after seeing this kind of thing and the total not give a poo about repercussions attitude . I suspect not,

32 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its what next that worries me, you only have to have others looking and thinking what can we go out and vandalise in the name of protesting.

It's going to be a hell of a job getting all of Hadrian's Wall into the Tweed.

Roman Empire = built on slavery.

And what about all those Ottoman walls and castles? Nightmare.

Good for the haulage and skip hire trades I guess.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Think most of this is fair, but not sure about the bolded bit. Nobody judges Jimmy Savile for his charity work.

But they did. That's how he committed his crimes. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm not going to shed any tears over a man who treated people like cattle.

That’s fair enough but does that excuse anarchy?

Should we also rip down everything he built in Bristol?

Maybe so, but surely what we need to do is to focus on building a better future, not focussing on a past we cannot change?

I live in Bristol and I’m ashamed of the actions today. There’s a hardcore who attend every protest going because it’s an excuse to get cidered up and abuse the establishment.

They should play no part in the integrated society most of us wants.

If they really wanted to make a point, melt it down and commission a new piece from the material, one that acknowledges both the past, present and a more hopeful future.

Now that would be a powerful message.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Can we bang the saucepan against the head of a racist? Asking for a friend.

For 5 or 10 seconds. Any longer you are slipping into anarchy and potentially murderous pursuits. Not good tell your friend.

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pulling down statues seems straight out of a fascists playbook. It's time for these protests to be shut down. 

I would prefer the protesters find other ways. People should be able to protest,  but do it peacefully and most importantly right now do it in a way that won't cost lives.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

For 5 or 10 seconds. Any longer you are slipping into anarchy and potentially murderous pursuits. Not good tell your friend.

Socially distant racist smacking saucepan for sale, enquire within.

il_794xN.1013278828_7zrt.jpg.3b0295610875f7fd6dc86bc92998c2d4.jpg

Archived