The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

3 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Well id certainly like the government to try and set the story straight from what they know. What would you prefer to be tabled to government this morning? 

I'm glad we have some media that are willing to criticise and question the government and its employees. 

I'm astounded that you believe that you can draw parallels with Caroline Flack when criticising people for their actions. I guess the ongoing criticism and harassment of Diane Abbot is different though? 

He broke the rules, what more do you need to know?

I'd prefer to know more information on track and trace, more on schools re-opening, more on the decision making process used by the Government, and update on how we are looking in the build up to 1June, what businessea are going to be allowed to open, things that actually affect all of the general public.

Not sure why you are astounded. Flack was harassed by the media and ultimately that is what this will become too.

I'm not aware of any ongoing harassment of Dianne Abott, think she got off very lightly over the story with her son.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

On the Flack point, Cummings should absolutely not be harassed by anyone in the media or the public. 

However, when you are in a public office and are found to be breaking the rules you have to expect questions to be asked. When even more allegations are then presented that contradict your initial answers then expect a fresh round of questions. 

For me this is about the integrity of the people at the top level of our government. Their response yesterday was undermined by fresh allegations within hours. I think we are owed an explanation as to why that appears to be the case. 

The questions have been asked and both Cummings and the Government have answered.

Have the media provided any evidence for these new allegations?

From what I read yesterday the allegation was made by one witness who thought he saw someone that looked like Cummings.

Is it a witch hunt ? Yes

is it deserved ? Probably yes, he treats the media with contempt and comes across as an arrogant  twxt who knows better. He was always get it in the neck.

Flack kind link ? Is it even relevant in this case, not convinced. 

Does he deserve to be sacked ? According to ST he got a hat trick of breaking the rules so decent effort. Perhaps BoJo could arrange a quick zoom call with staff at St Thomas who saved his life and see what they think.

What happens next ? Dom most likely to resign, some tory MPs not happy, and we get a new slogan. We are due one.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The questions have been asked and both Cummings and the Government have answered.

Have the media provided any evidence for these new allegations?

From what I read yesterday the allegation was made by one witness who thought he saw someone that looked like Cummings.

Which is why the question should be put to the government as to what their version of the story is as its not exactly been consistent so far. 

The eye witness story may not be true but what is true is that Cummings did break the rules at least once. Yet, the top level MP's that came out to defend him with the 'common sense' caveat have forgotten that people nationwide didn't have that caveat they simply made up on the spot yesterday. People have had to see relatives die alone and be buried with no funeral, single mums with covid told to stay at home with their kids, families unable to see relatives for weeks all whilst what will be seen as a select few are allowed to interpret the rules differently. 

People will be angry about that and that is now as much of a story as Cummings is. 

If the government expect people to simply swallow their defense of Cummings actions and keep quiet then they are mistaken. 

Check out this left wing clap trap tweet:

"It is intolerable that Boris’ government is losing so much political capital. Three changes are immediately required:

1 - Govt needs competitive expert advice

2 - Govt must insist on high software engineering standards

3 - Dominic Cummings must go"

By Conservative MP Steve Baker. Not only on Cummings going but also implicitly criticising the government on Coronavirus.

With Cummings power diminished, other Tories are prepared to speak up now.

Wowzers, did anyone just see the interview with Steve Baker on Sky?

The fairly prominent Brexiteer criticising the Brexit bus and the leaflets on Turkey. And proroguing of parliament saying Cummings goes to far. And that the cabinet serve at Cummings pleasure and he will brief against any of them he wants gone.

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Is it a witch hunt ? Yes

is it deserved ? Probably yes, he treats the media with contempt and comes across as an arrogant  twxt who knows better. He was always get it in the neck.

Flack kind link ? Is it even relevant in this case, not convinced. 

Does he deserve to be sacked ? According to ST he got a hat trick of breaking the rules so decent effort. Perhaps BoJo could arrange a quick zoom call with staff at St Thomas who saved his life and see what they think.

What happens next ? Dom most likely to resign, some tory MPs not happy, and we get a new slogan. We are due one.

See this is what I dont like.

Witch hunts are ok when it suits peoples agendas.

They are either immoral or they aren't, irrelevant who is being harassed.

He either needs to resign today or be removed from office, for the good of the Conservative party.

Please don’t use Caroline flack as a shield to stop our so called politicians , top scientists and advisers being held to account on their behaviour,

flack was a private citizen with very obvious mental and personal problems which led to the criminal offence that she was then wrongly hounded for ,, very different to this whole unsavoury situation of Cummings and the ministers around him taking the pixx 

to use the flack reference is very sad , an insult to flack and also dangerous in terms of allowing the elite to do as the please with no check or consequences 

Schapps is doing his best again. Sticking to the story from yesterday. Obviously nothing fed to him last night or this morning. 

Its a shame because I would actually like to hear a bit about the transport stuff he wants to talk about. 

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Wowzers, did anyone just see the interview with Steve Baker on Sky?

The fairly prominent Brexiteer criticising the Brexit bus and the leaflets on Turkey. And proroguing of parliament saying Cummings goes to far. And that the cabinet serve at Cummings pleasure and he will brief against any of them he wants gone.

I watched him on BBC breakfast, he must have had a couple Red Bull for breakfast, no splinters in his backside!

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

Please don’t use Caroline flack as a shield to stop our so called politicians , top scientists and advisers being held to account on their behaviour,

flack was a private citizen with very obvious mental and personal problems which led to the criminal offence that she was then wrongly hounded for ,, very different to this whole unsavoury situation of Cummings and the ministers around him taking the pixx 

to use the flack reference is very sad , an insult to flack and also dangerous in terms of allowing the elite to do as the please with no check or consequences 

Politicians should be held to account in Parliament not by paparazzi camped outside their house.

Is their any evidence of these new allegations then or is he too being wrongly hounded?

Dominic Cummings, from what I can see is an equally private person as Caroline Flack.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Politicians should be held to account in Parliament not by paparazzi camped outside their house.

Is their any evidence of these new allegations then or is he too being wrongly hounded?

Dominic Cummings, from what I can see is an equally private person as Caroline Flack.

The difference with Cummings is that his actions, ideas and decisions influence our government. He can't be held to account in Parliament because he isn't an MP. 

I'm not saying I approve of him being harassed but how exactly are we supposed to hold him to account in a situation like this? 

If Conservative MP Steve Baker is to be believed he refuses to be held to account by MP's as well so what options do we have here? 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The difference with Cummings is that his actions, ideas and decisions influence our government. He can't be held to account in Parliament because he isn't an MP. 

I'm not saying I approve of him being harassed but how exactly are we supposed to hold him to account in a situation like this? 

If Conservative MP Steve Baker is to be believed he refuses to be held to account by MP's as well so what options do we have here? 

So it should be his bosses that are held to account in Parliament and the electorate decide whether they want politicians that use advisers like Cummings.

2 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Grant Schapps on Andrew Marr in a bit. I wouldn't blame him if he doesn'f turn up and started the long drive to Aberdeen to visit a long forgotten distant relative.

He was just asked on sky if he thought about turning off his alarm last night.. 

Looked to me he was hung out to dry by no10 with no clarification etc. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So he just gets to do whatever he wants until the next election? Not good enough. 

What is the alternative?

Do we all get to get rid of politicians and their advisers every time they do something we dont agree with?

I'm sure there is some code of conduct out there that these people have to follow.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Cummings is not an MP.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, two unconnected eye-witnesses.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If privacy is a major issue for Cummings, all he need do is resign, which frankly, he should have already. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

What is the alternative?

Do we all get to get rid of politicians and their advisers every time they do something we dont agree with?

I'm sure there is some code of conduct out there that these people have to follow.

It's not a case of agreement. He broke the rules and other people in positions of authority have resigned or been sacked for breaking the same rules. 

When the government are making exceptions for certain people and are unable to provide a reasonable explanation as to why thrn what are the public supposed to do? 

We aren't exactly being given many options here. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So it should be his bosses that are held to account in Parliament and the electorate decide whether they want politicians that use advisers like Cummings.

So there's no role for the media to criticise the leadership? 

Archived