The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Also agreed - and the same goes for Asian men. Ugly right-wing tropes about "asian grooming gangs" being "the most common form of child abuse" are unhelpful. ALL child abuse is wrong, and people continually dragging the conversation back to racial generalisations belies an unfortunate  prejudice that disrespects every victim. The most common type of child abuse by a vast margin is domestic

I wasn't going to comment again but I have to factually correct this as its a blatant distortion of what's been written.

I've said several times in the past couple of pages that the most common form of child abuse is done by a family member or family friend, it also happens to be the most difficult to spot. 

Grooming gang members are overwhelmingly Pakistani Muslim and far easier to identify - numerous reports state that we have known who some of the perpetrators are yet they have been allowed to carry on abusing young girls and children due in part to political correctness.  A lot of people's anger is based around the fact its been allowed to knowingly continue.

Conflating the two districts from one form of child abuse that could be tackled far, far easier than the other. 

But yeah continue to ignore what we've actually written and instead tell us what you think we've written - then convict us with whats gone on in your imagination. 

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

But yeah continue to ignore what we've actually written and instead tell us what you think we've written

I owe you an apology - having read your last post I went back and re-read the post I was referring to, and I now understand what you were trying to say. I wasn't trying to deliberately distort your words, it was a genuine misunderstanding

Lets ignore comments about the most common form of child abuse being incredibly difficult to spot and shift blame away from those that wilfully ignored cases of child abuse in which the perpetrators were widely known and blame those that want action taken for being driven by your perceived notion that its just about their hatred of race. 

In my defence, it was a very confusing sentence - 60 words long and zero punctuation!

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

The last paragraph wasn't a reference to anything you wrote - but an aside to the right-wing posters who continually bleat in this thread about identity politics.

Agreed

Also agreed - and the same goes for Asian men. Ugly right-wing tropes about "asian grooming gangs" being "the most common form of child abuse" are unhelpful. ALL child abuse is wrong, and people continually dragging the conversation back to racial generalisations belies an unfortunate  prejudice that disrespects every victim. The most common type of child abuse by a vast margin is domestic

Absolutely but I don’t think it’s quite right to damn a discussion about Asian grooming gangs when we all demand investigations in to the Catholic Church and it’s historic hiding of child abuse. ..

They are both “things” and both need to be aired without the person calling for the discussion to be marked as a racist right winger. Yes I know, certain right wing elements love a cause like this as it feeds their bigotry but the truth is the truth, even the most ugly teller of it should be heard ( with due consideration as to motive and accuracy of course ) 

Soooo, time for a Curtains-esque 90 degree pivot onto a completely different topic.

The Labour leadership campaign is going to take 3 months to conclude. We manage to cobble together a government through a 6 week process.

It seems at present that Rebecca Long-Bailey and Keir Starmer are neck and neck with the former being backed unsurprisingly by Momentum. And it appears Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry are struggling to gain trade union support and so could drop out.

Anybody taking advantage of the 25-quid offer to have a vote.....either lefties getting their chosen one in, or righties helping to propel a complete dud into the position thus ensuring an easier run for Bozzer in 2025...….? 

31 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Soooo, time for a Curtains-esque 90 degree pivot onto a completely different topic.

The Labour leadership campaign is going to take 3 months to conclude. We manage to cobble together a government through a 6 week process.

It seems at present that Rebecca Long-Bailey and Keir Starmer are neck and neck with the former being backed unsurprisingly by Momentum. And it appears Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry are struggling to gain trade union support and so could drop out.

Anybody taking advantage of the 25-quid offer to have a vote.....either lefties getting their chosen one in, or righties helping to propel a complete dud into the position thus ensuring an easier run for Bozzer in 2025...….? 

Yup it could boil down to fight between a knighted Labour MP (bound to garner supporter amongst the working classes) and a woman opposed to abortion (thats the female vote gone)

https://news.sky.com/story/rebecca-long-bailey-questions-over-labour-leadership-hopefuls-stance-on-abortion-law-11910108

During his early days as PM there was talk that Boris could become the shortest ever serving PM, he could now potentially become the longest ? 

49 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yup it could boil down to fight between a knighted Labour MP (bound to garner supporter amongst the working classes)

Well, to be fair - the working classes seemed to pivot to a privileged tousle-haired Eton fop in the last election, so nothing would surprise me there. Plus working class Brits have a long history of showing deference to our lords. Have we ever even had a PM who didn't go to a public school? (that's a genuine question - i have no idea, but it feels like the PM is usually a posh b'stard of some description)

55 minutes ago, maxjam said:

and a woman opposed to abortion (thats the female vote gone)

Having read that news piece, it's fairly clear that they're spinning it slightly, but whatevs - kind of got used to that with JC

I don't really like her anyway and I hope that the membership don't vote her in. I think she might be surprised by how many of us will turn away from "Corbynism" now. Or I might be disappointed by how many don't ?

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Well, to be fair - the working classes seemed to pivot to a privileged tousle-haired Eton fop in the last election, so nothing would surprise me there. Plus working class Brits have a long history of showing deference to our lords. Have we ever even had a PM who didn't go to a public school? (that's a genuine question - i have no idea, but it feels like the PM is usually a posh b'stard of some description)

Having read that news piece, it's fairly clear that they're spinning it slightly, but whatevs - kind of got used to that with JC

I don't really like her anyway and I hope that the membership don't vote her in. I think she might be surprised by how many of us will turn away from "Corbynism" now. Or I might be disappointed by how many don't ?

It was a flippant post on my behalf, tbh I don't really know a lot about any of the candidates - just gonna wait and see who wins and hope they do a better job than the last lot ? 

Final post on the grooming scandal, a 15 minute video that you should watch - focusses more on police and social services negligence than who is committing the crimes (although it obviously does talk a bit about that).  

Well worth the time it takes to watch and you might come away with a different opinion about why some people are so angry about the silence surrounding the subject.

And if you liked that video there is another one here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNBcWByFAk

Oh and as a footnote to the whole sorry saga @G STAR RAM posted the other day that the story wasn't being given the attention it deserved and I posted the BBC link that showed they buried it in regional news;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-51093159?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c347nd992zkt/child-grooming&link_location=live-reporting-story

I have just checked the BBC news website and found the following story on the front page - it probably effects one person in the UK, whereas the grooming scandal effected 19k children last year alone, is still ongoing and (imo) will eventually lead to various authorities facing criminal charges.  You can't make this crap up;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51053580

12 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Child abusers and rapists ...

Don't care who they are , where they come from, what colour they are …

Build a bonfire - put them on it.

Saw this earlier, not sure if it’s a trusted source but I’m posting it in case it is.

Wouldn’t surprise me if your comment is considered hate speech in a few years time the way this world is going but you’re absolutely spot on. These abusers are all around us, including very high positions as we saw with Jeffrey Epstein, Jimmy Saville, allegations with Prince Andrew and all sorts of these accusations are appearing in hollywood too, with many victims ending up dead if they speak out. It’s a sad world that victims are too afraid to speak out in case they are silenced for good

11 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if your comment is considered hate speech in a few years time the way this world is going

We would truly be in a dark place if that ever happens. We would be PC-ing ourselves out of moral existence.

Crimes so heinous should be punished with heavy measures …Okay the death 'penalty' might be over the top (and I don't actually agree with it in general) but the key should be thrown away …

…  but how far would some posters go on here if they saw a crying kid they knew being bundled into a van by strangers? 

Archived