The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

On 14/01/2020 at 23:33, uttoxram75 said:

No one's talking about communism. The private sector will still make washing powder, cars, biscuits etc....I'm suggesting that what I call vital public services, things we need to run the country in a civilised way, future energy decisions for instance can't just be taken with the profit margin as the main factor.

Doctors surgeries now employ Business Managers, not all decisions are guaranteed to be in the patients best interests, the practice has to balance its books......

As a country, our government should have the best interests of the people who live here as the guiding principle. Red lining the important things  would take the pressure off the professionals who run the system and allow decisions to be made that may seem expensive to start with but turns out to save in the long run.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2020/jan/16/the-case-for-truly-taking-back-control-by-reversing-the-privatisation-of-our-cities

Good article I stumbled across today which explains a lot of my feelings about public services. To me, this is the real "take back control" vision i believe in.

Worth a quick look lads no matter what your politics are.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What are you going to do with this new found freedom?

Free to make our own laws, freedom to trade with all countries not just 27. Taking back control of our fishing waters.  Removing the massive trawlers that decimate our waters.  Freedom to decide who comes into the country from all over the world, no longer forced to give EU migrants priority.  

8 minutes ago, Sasha said:

Free to make our own laws, freedom to trade with all countries not just 27. Taking back control of our fishing waters.  Removing the massive trawlers that decimate our waters.  Freedom to decide who comes into the country from all over the world, no longer forced to give EU migrants priority.  

That's nice but the question was, what are YOU going to do? 

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

11 more sleeps until FREEDOM. After 3. 5 long years.  We can't make the London party, anybody going? 

I'm not sure that the Brexiteers should be making much of a song and dance about this. I think Johnson us deliberately keeping it quiet as now he's won the election to 'get Brexit done', he knows there is still a tonne of stuff to sort out. He's used it as a vehicle to become PM and it worked for him. He has never been as good on delivering on his promises.

The end of the month is the start of the transition period, when our unspecified future relationship will be, erm, specified. I expect a return to the wartime slogans if/when making a deal becomes difficult. We'll probably have all the No Deal debate again, but no moderates in parliament left to talk sense.

Our best bet is Johnson will do anything to hold onto power, so think he will move towards a soft Brexit. This will bring Farage back onto the scene and the circus will re-open.

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

It's going to be epic.

I can't decide whether an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy will be my first purchase, I've read great things about both while browsing the internet on my Amstrad.

Probably will upgrade that too.

2 hours ago, Sasha said:

11 more sleeps until FREEDOM. After 3. 5 long years.  We can't make the London party, anybody going? 

I'm planning to catch the first available HST. Should get me down there, just as the party starts to get going, as all the cheap booze and food should be coming into the country by then.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So we now have the freedom to get drunk and laugh at people?

thank god for that. Finally. 

Over past 3 years I've been called a racist, a fascist and xenophobe for voting leave on 23 June 2016. Plus some really nasty stuff. So yes, I'm going to celebrate next Friday at 11.00pm.  So tough titties. 

2 minutes ago, Sasha said:

Over past 3 years I've been called a racist, a fascist and xenophobe for voting leave on 23 June 2016. Plus some really nasty stuff. So yes, I'm going to celebrate next Friday at 11.00pm.  So tough titties. 

Tough titties for whom? You’re free to do that. Mind you, you’re free to do that now. 
I was just curious as to what new freedom you would be exercising. 

Well we could celebrate that in the last year the UK is in third place for tech investments only behind the USA and China with more than Germany and France combined .

Also over 1000 financial services companies applied to operate in the UK 228 from Ireland alone with only 33 going the other way .I like my country to prosper and be positive which is something quite nice after listening to Labour running everything down and supporting anyone but their own country.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Well we could celebrate that in the last year the UK is in third place for tech investments only behind the USA and China with more than Germany and France combined .

Also over 1000 financial services companies applied to operate in the UK 228 from Ireland alone with only 33 going the other way .I like my country to prosper and be positive which is something quite nice after listening to Labour running everything down and supporting anyone but their own country.

You realise that many of the main Remainers were in the Tory party right? And the Labour leadership were much more Brexity than them?

I hope everything turns out well but I've got a worrying feeling it will be bad. Complex deals and negotiating needs more skill than trite slogans.

4 hours ago, Sasha said:

You do realise the massive trawlers that decimate our waters are actually taking fish that we dont want? 

Archived