Mels Radio Derby interview last night

Derbados

4 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Personally don’t mind Ramage. At times he goes off on rants as mentioned and can keep going on.

At the same time he is the only one on RD with any sort of idea from a football and tactical standpoint. Talks some good sense about the game and how to play it and don’t mind his insight.

Agree with that. Dawes comes up with some juvenile nonsense and sounds pretty obnoxious at times.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game and as I didn't have my 3 year old and the person next to me wasn't there I decided to listen to RD. I can't say I agreed with a lot Ramage had to say and found Dawes' comments on the rules as he is now a ref a little annoying but I enjoyed hearing different opinions. I'd switch off if they sat on the fence too much. Does anyone else remember Ian Hall??

we have to accept this is local radio so the best report nationally. Living south of brum I often listen to BBC WM and I'd take RD over their lot any day. 

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Can understand MM being cheesed if he's looking for some sort of return for his 24m.

Unless it's a lot of gym equipment rotting in Clements garage.....?

So far the only serious wonga has been earned on players who had already broken through before mel's involvement. 

Put a price on Bogle,Lowe,Knight,Bird .The 24M is an investment in our future and Rammage cant see that then so much for him being an expert.

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Sometimes for all his passion and having played the game, Ramage is just bloody thick!

Yes, he could be excused if he'd been a prolific header of the ball, but he wasn't. So just a bit thick really... 

3 hours ago, MikeS said:

Agree with that. Dawes comes up with some juvenile nonsense and sounds pretty obnoxious at times.

Did you know Ed Dawes is a referee now . If you didn't, try listening to any commentary as he waxes lyrical about each decision being incorrect as he wows you with his expertise.  That's if he isn't slating Derby fan's for booing an opposition player and calling them red faced gammons- exact words. Worst commentator I've heard - you may get to know about 40% of what's actually happening and the faux laughing at his own quips is a joy to behold.

Ramage I don't mind and I think Mel had a bit of a dig at him first the other night to be fair .  Ramage has simply said not investing in the squad with a bit of experience and relying on 6 or 7 young players to step up to the mark on a consistent basis is a bit of a tightrope call .  He's right .

32 minutes ago, TommyPowell said:

Put a price on Bogle,Lowe,Knight,Bird .The 24M is an investment in our future and Rammage cant see that then so much for him being an expert.

I think that misrepresents Rammage.  He does see that but takes a realistic view that in the Championship youngsters need to be introduced at the right time and with experience around them.

Some posters here seem to want a midfield 3 of Bird, Sibley and Knight NOW!  Rowett and Lampard have been criticised for not making more use of Academy products. I disagree. Knight and Bird have been introduced at the right time, and with the best guidance available from Cocu.

Morris let himself down with his surly tone on RD. I am sure he has not enjoyed the recent sequence of results and the pressure showed itself.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I think that misrepresents Rammage.  He does see that but takes a realistic view that in the Championship youngsters need to be introduced at the right time and with experience around them.

Some posters here seem to want a midfield 3 of Bird, Sibley and Knight NOW!  Rowett and Lampard have been criticised for not making more use of Academy products. I disagree. Knight and Bird have been introduced at the right time, and with the best guidance available from Cocu.

Morris let himself down with his surly tone on RD. I am sure he has not enjoyed the recent sequence of results and the pressure showed itself.

Ramage is a self publicizing fool it no wonder Mels attitude was like that and if you cant see that then you cant,BTW the under 23s are top of their league above the likes of Chelsea,Liverpool,Man City and the under 18s are in their european cup so the academy must be doing something right.

8 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I think that misrepresents Rammage.  He does see that but takes a realistic view that in the Championship youngsters need to be introduced at the right time and with experience around them..

But surely that’s what we’re doing? It’s not like we’re playing half a dozen kids every week, there’s normally only one or two in the starting XI at most.  Rammage was talking as if Mel had sacked the entire first team squad and replaced them all with kids.

People get very passionate about Radio Derby commentators. I actually think the banter between Dawes and Rammer is good value and often I'm laughing along with it.

They are very biased towards Derby, which means they can go over the top with praise or criticism, but I got a feeling there are a few fans on here like that too.

If I wanted carefully considered points and rational arguments during the match, I would read @SaintRams forum commentary, or then @angierams match reports. Which I do anyway, so life is sweet.

45 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

People get very passionate about Radio Derby commentators. I actually think the banter between Dawes and Rammer is good value and often I'm laughing along with it.

They are very biased towards Derby, which means they can go over the top with praise or criticism, but I got a feeling there are a few fans on here like that too.

If I wanted carefully considered points and rational arguments during the match, I would read @SaintRams forum commentary, or then @angierams match reports. Which I do anyway, so life is sweet.

Well said. Sums up my view too. Whilst Rammer doesn’t always hit the right notes, the thing is he’s Derby through and through and cares and he’s got to respond “on the hoof” which is not easy, so we should give him some leaway for that. 

10 hours ago, europia said:

Yes, he could be excused if he'd been a prolific header of the ball, but he wasn't. So just a bit thick really... 

Agreed, destroyed my memory of him as a player when I met him. How he has ever been hired to provide insight is beyond me. I know Radio Derby is a long way from Sky Sports News or Match of the Day but surely there was a better applicant? 

Last saw him (quite a few years ago) rolling around on the floor of a local in an altercation regarding a barmaid. 

I actually think that if you got Morris, Ramage and Cocu in the same room they’d probably all agree..... you need to give the lads an opportunity (and we clearly have an excellent group of players coming through, fully justifying the investment made) but play them when they’re ready.  You also need a good blend of youth and experience to build a team. Rooney is the added quality and experience and I can see the transfer policy will be to bring in young players with the potential to develop further and create value alongside the Academy players.  Cameron Carter Vickers at 22 on loan with an option to buy would seem to fit this approach (I have no real knowledge of him as a player though).  I think personal egos got in the way of a sensible conversation on Monday

Archived