Mels Radio Derby interview last night

Derbados

I'm Craig Ramage and so is my wife.

Ahem.

In some ways I agree with Ramage, but he clearly gets what Mel is saying wrapped round his neck, then blusters all over him.

The whole idea behind spending millions on the academy is that the hope is there that it makes the club a little more sustainable. Even if they don't make the grade here, chances are you'll make money on them - even if they only go to the likes of Barnsley (Luke Thomas). Spend that same amount of money on 'established' players, as we have done over the last few seasons, how many have we had a return on?

Seriously? Who was the last player we purchased, then sold on for a profit? Vydra? Then who? Some of this lies on the recruitment team for sure, but by no means are we in a unique situation.

Yes, the chances of us doing a Barcelona and having a team of 11 academy grads is smaller than a gnat's chuff, but to have 2 or 3 in there, and maybe selling one or two for a few million here or there, the odd one going for 7 figures, maybe? Then it becomes worth its while.

It's starting to happen. Knight, Bird, Sibley, Whittaker, Buchanan, could all (to my eyes) go on to greater things. There's another 3 or 4 behind them. Then probably, another 3 or 4 behind them, and so on.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived