Mels Radio Derby interview last night

Derbados

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ramages remark about Mel never spending 24 million on a player shows that he wasn’t listening to what Mel said.

Morris said he’d spent 24 million on the academy, and if they’re not going to use its  products then he might as well of spent it on brought in players.

No doubt Ramage has some useful insights into the game, but he does rant a lot.

Maxwell would have banned him from the ground by now! ?

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Ramages remark about Mel never spending 24 million on a player shows that he wasn’t listening to what Mel said.

Morris said he’d spent 24 million on the academy, and if they’re not going to use its  products then he might as well of spent it on brought in players.

No doubt Ramage has some useful insights into the game, but he does rant a lot.

Maxwell would have banned him from the ground by now! ?

Can understand MM being cheesed if he's looking for some sort of return for his 24m.

Unless it's a lot of gym equipment rotting in Clements garage.....?

So far the only serious wonga has been earned on players who had already broken through before mel's involvement. 

Something and nothing. 

Chelsea seem to be the best example at the moment of a club playing academy graduates

abraham, mount, Hudson-odoi, tomori, Christensen, James.

we have never before been in the situation where we have had 6 or 7 young players coming through at once, so this is unchartered territory for us. We also seem to have an exceptional  crop of youngsters who have been successful at academy level, and they will only improve by playing first team football. So previous experience with playing youngsters is not really relevant. We’ve never had a crop this good and in this volume.

bogle, lowe, knight, sibley, Whittaker, bird, and maybe a few more besides?

play them. We will benefit in the short term, medium term and long term.

I’d rather play them and drop points than watch the same old, same old, under achievers and wasters. 

The youngsters aren’t the problem, it’s......well we all know who. 

33 minutes ago, Derbados said:

go to 11:32

Mel not very complimentary of Rammer 

Thought Mel made it perfectly clear to Ramage what the academy is all about.

Why spend £24m if we’re not going to play them; it’s not like our academy is dross.

Sometimes for all his passion and having played the game, Ramage is just bloody thick!

Yes no biggie really, yes a dig from Mel at Ramage then just some clarity that you either commit to this strategy or not.  He had already implied that Cocu will do a small amount if business so he's not advocating a team of kids.  Ramage not understanding this so quite rightly Mel doesn't allow him to rant on regardless. He's clearly backing Cocu too by citing the injuries.

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Dawes seems to have fallen out with him too, given their most recent exchanges on air.  Not a good position to be in as a part-timer. Suspect Rammer's days may be numbered as a result.

Oh I do hope you're right!

Personally don’t mind Ramage. At times he goes off on rants as mentioned and can keep going on.

At the same time he is the only one on RD with any sort of idea from a football and tactical standpoint. Talks some good sense about the game and how to play it and don’t mind his insight.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Dawes seems to have fallen out with him too, given their most recent exchanges on air.  Not a good position to be in as a part-timer. Suspect Rammer's days may be numbered as a result.

everytime ramage commented that Marriott did something good or gave us the option to “run in behind” (valid point) Dawes was compelled to be critical of Marriott. 

That bloke is an utter ? end

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

everytime ramage commented that Marriott did something good or gave us the option to “run in behind” (valid point) Dawes was compelled to be critical of Marriott. 

That bloke is an utter ? end

Agreed. Makes snide remarks and tries to pass them off as banter. He's lucky Ramage doesn't react as there's been plenty of times he could have kicked off when Dawes has been rude or even insulting.

Frankly, I'd rather have someone who seems a sound bloke with practical knowledge of the game rather than a pompous know it all who likes to talk about ducking seagulls and trains. Keep Ramage and replace Dawes with Steele. 

On the rare occasions I’m forced into listening to RD (usually means I’m driving whilst a game is on) other than it just being a painful listen, I have noticed how negative Ramage seems to be about the academy, and Dawes as well. It was something that surprised me. But I am only an occasional listener, so maybe they’ve been more positive at other times.

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Personally don’t mind Ramage. At times he goes off on rants as mentioned and can keep going on.

At the same time he is the only one on RD with any sort of idea from a football and tactical standpoint. Talks some good sense about the game and how to play it and don’t mind his insight.

But the odd bit of insight doesn’t make up for him saying the same things over and over again.

3 hours ago, Derbados said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07xjrnm

go to 11:32

Mel not very complimentary of Rammer 

Ohh! A definite edge to that exchange and that Alan Hansen moment {“you win nothing playing kids!”} flashed through my mind. I stood about 3 yards away from that exchange last night but the edginess didn’t show “in vivo”. Great radio though. 

Archived