Duane Holmes

DarkFruitsRam7

25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

No and that was a big fault in his game, probably why he won’t go much further than the bench at  the amazing football institute that is Watford FC. 

Both are good players, but lack that clinical edge to be very good players at the top level. Just in my opinion of course 

Playmakers aren’t there to score though. They’re not particularly there to assist either. They progress the play and keep things ticking over. 

Grealish wasn’t prolific until this season in which he’s been given complete freedom by Villa. Indeed his numbers prior to this season were similar to Hughes’. 

Maddison’s goals and assists from general play are similar too - granted you can’t ignore how good his set-plays are but if you already had a set-play taker…

Indeed even Iniesta, Xavi and Modric only have two ten goal seasons between them, and one of those was in the Croatian league. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

He is closest to Will Hughes since or before Will Hughes himself.

That's about the highest praise I can give.

Think he might be better. Than the Hughes we had anyway, not what Hughes COULD be. 

His weight of pass is my only concern. Drives us more than Hughes did. 

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Think he might be better. Than the Hughes we had anyway, not what Hughes COULD be. 

His weight of pass is my only concern. Drives us more than Hughes did. 

Time will tell. Too early to say at the moment.

Don't think it deserves a "laughing face" emoji though. You did only say "might be". Would be great if you prove to be correct, as long as he's still wearing a Derby shirt.

59 minutes ago, cannable said:
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Playmakers aren’t there to score though. They’re not particularly there to assist either

What a barmy comment 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

One goal this season says not 

I am Really really puzzled by your view on Duane.
Not only has he had either an MOTM or run pretty close to it on several occasions, he is also one of our better tacklers, one of the best we have (actually the best) with the ball at his feet. Oh and he can beat a man for pace and skill and does it several times every game.  He rarely shows any tendency to be petulant, goes hunting to win the ball back if he loses it. And runs himself into the ground for 90 minutes. He never backs away from a physical contest. Maybe, he should shoot more, maybe sometimes his final pass could be better but both those last 2 could be levelled at every member of the team. personally I want him in the team every game. He has the ability to break lines and create opportunities to attack. 

If you can’t see the entirely positive aspects Duane brings to our play then I wonder what you do see in a game. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Not only has he had either an MOTM or run pretty close to it on several occasions, he is also one of our better tacklers, one of the best we have (actually the best) with the ball at his feet. Oh and he can beat a man for pace and skill and does it several times every game.  He rarely shows any tendency to be petulant, goes hunting to win the ball back if he loses it. And runs himself into the ground for 90 minutes. He never backs away from a physical contest. Maybe, he should shoot more, maybe sometimes his final pass could be better but both those last 2 could be levelled at every member of the team. personally I want him in the team every game. He has the ability to break lines and create opportunities to attack. 

If you can’t see the entirely positive aspects Duane brings to our play then I wonder what you do see in a game. 

He’s played well the past 6/7 games I agree. Prior was no existent, doesn’t score enough goals and doesn’t creative enough for an attacking midfielder imo 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

He’s played well the past 6/7 games I agree. Prior was no existent, doesn’t score enough goals and doesn’t creative enough for an attacking midfielder imo 

Can’t really agree there. I think he has been stand out all season but with Rooney on board some of things he has been trying to do are a lot more effective. He isn’t alone anymore in the desire to think about getting the ball towards the right end of the pitch. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Can’t really agree there. I think he has been stand out all season but with Rooney on board some of things he has been trying to do are a lot more effective. He isn’t alone anymore in the desire to think about getting the ball towards the right end of the pitch. 

Have to disagree thought he was pedestrian and wasteful 1st half of the season. Looks like he’s clicked with Rooney which is good to see. 

12 minutes ago, jono said:

Another thing I’ve noticed about Duane is that he gets a bit of luck with the bounce and the run of the ball, which seems to elude a lot of players.

19 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Don't think it deserves a "laughing face" emoji though. You did only say "might be". Would be great if you prove to be correct, as long as he's still wearing a Derby shirt.

Your opinion, but he's older than Will Hughes and shown nothing like the talent Will has. So err I thought containing myself to an emoji comment was pretty good. 

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

What a barmy comment 

Well not really. The days of having a completely creative #10 are pretty much over. Modem day playmakers are there to keep play ticking over, instigate little moves and set the runners away. How many times would you see Hughes set up the assist for example? 

First goal here is a prime example of what Hughes used to do. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Think you should get a new shtick, you spent the whole time since he started playing saying he spends too much time on his heels. But hey, practically the whole forum, and thankfully, the previous two lots of coaching staff haven't agreed with you.

But cheers for the passing condescension.

He has shown clear improvement on that aspect so they probably have agreed ? . The guy has had to make a big step up, but good that he is obviously listening. He does look difficult to play with at times because he frequently runs into places where it is difficult to receive the ball. He is much better with the ball than without it.

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

No and that was a big fault in his game, probably why he won’t go much further than the bench at  the amazing football institute that is Watford FC. 

Both are good players, but lack that clinical edge to be very good players at the top level. Just in my opinion of course 

Will Hughes has played and started regularly under several different managers at Watford. He has had several injuries, but other than that he is a regular starter in a Premier League team. If that isnt success id hate to see what failure looks like.

You dont have to score lots of goals to be a great midfielder. Toni Kroos doesnt score many for Real Madrid over in Spains pub league, but that doesnt mean he is a bad player.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Will Hughes has played and started regularly under several different managers at Watford. He has had several injuries, but other than that he is a regular starter in a Premier League team. If that isnt success id hate to see what failure looks like.

You dont have to score lots of goals to be a great midfielder. Toni Kroos doesnt score many for Real Madrid over in Spains pub league, but that doesnt mean he is a bad player.

I’d want an attacking/creative midfielder to score or create goals. I actually think it’s a prerequisite to playing that role

On 31/12/2019 at 07:54, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I said on the way to the game that I dont rate Duane Holmes....cheese Duane! That really was an excellent performance.

On the way home I said that Lawrence being out allowed Holmes to play that way, so hopefully Lawrence has played his last game for us.

All I can say is gouda on you for having the decency to have your opinion changed......?

7 hours ago, Squid said:

Charlie Kirk at Crewe (AM)

Nabil Alioui at Monaco - serious about this guy! (winger)

Heorhii Tsitaishvili at Dynamo Kiev (winger)

Leonidas Stergiou at St. Gallen (center back)

That's just four ? 

This sounds like an opportunity for Mel to swing another shrewd deal and have him play for us in the afternoon and evenings!?

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

there is more to Duane that  to me he is a cross between Hughes and Bryson and he can still improve

1 minute ago, TommyPowell said:

there is more to Duane that  to me he is a cross between Hughes and Bryson and he can still improve

Hughes created, Bryson scores goals. Which bit is Duane the cross between ? 

Archived