Duane Holmes

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve called Holmes out on here a few times for having nothing to offer other than turning with the ball and running 15 yards forward in open space. “He can’t take a man on, cross, shoot, play a decent pass...” etc. But he’s added more to his game in recent weeks and become both a grafter and and genuine threat on the counter attack. His energy and positivity is infectious. He’s improved massively. I imagine, like most players, it’s usually all there even if it’s not being demonstrated, it’s down to the system and teammates doing their bit to allow qualities like his to shine. And of course, confidence!

22 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I’ve called Holmes out on here a few times for having nothing to offer other than turning with the ball and running 15 yards forward in open space. “He can’t take a man on, cross, shoot, play a decent pass...” etc. But he’s added more to his game in recent weeks and become both a grafter and and genuine threat on the counter attack. His energy and positivity is infectious. He’s improved massively. I imagine, like most players, it’s usually all there even if it’s not being demonstrated, it’s down to the system and teammates doing their bit to allow qualities like his to shine. And of course, confidence!

Yep me as well - his value is higher up the pitch 

19 hours ago, cannable said:

I think they’re the same type of player but go about it slightly differently. Both play in the inside right channel. Hughes would progress it forward through passing, Holmes bursts through with the ball.  

14 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Yep that’s the difference I meant

Jesus what is it with will bloody Hughes the bloke didnt know how to hit a forward pass to save his life !! It was always sideways the bloke was vastly and I mean vastly over rated and what he is doing now proves it . Holmes on the other hand likes to go forward as soon as possible love him . Hughes cant tie Holmes or Mason mounts boots , rant over 

4 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Jesus what is it with will bloody Hughes the bloke didnt know how to hit a forward pass to save his life !! It was always sideways the bloke was vastly and I mean vastly over rated and what he is doing now proves it . Holmes on the other hand likes to go forward as soon as possible love him . Hughes cant tie Holmes or Mason mounts boots , rant over 

Mount was overrated 

30 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

gordon ramsey idiot GIF

Those criticising Duane's early season form don't seem to be making any allowance for his early season injuries and the run of games needed to get back to full match sharpness. Also he's been playing in a very different side than last season so needs time to build up those new understandings.

As for those saying he's a difficult player to find as you never knew where he will pop up on the pitch they have very short memories because that's exactly how Bryson used to play. Rooney doesn't seem to be having any trouble finding him (or Scott Malone!)

I think it's ok for us to rate Holmes for what he is and not what he isn't.  Sometimes it's better to just enjoy the football.

He was being given far too much to do earlier in the season (mostly through necessity), often having to drop deep to challenge for / collect the ball before turning and driving forward with it himself, but with Rooney & Bird making the DM positions their own he's has been free to focus on his attacking play.

Since then he's looked the same player we saw in fits and spurts last season, maybe even better than he was?

Despite his setback earlier in the season he now looks the fittest he's ever been (I never really considered him a 90 minute man, but maybe the stats tell a different story?) and is getting more minutes than ever before, to good effect.

11 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, maybe the focus should be how well he is playing now not how well he wasn't in a team where literally every player was underperforming. So boring reading the never-ending carping from some quarters.

Don’t read it then

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

giphy.gif

Problem is that until I read something I don't know what it says ?‍♀️

You should know by now I’ll have nothing constructive or positive to say ?

Archived