Duane Holmes

DarkFruitsRam7

He’s a cracking talent, he’s almost Simon Dawkins to a degree ... carries and travels with the ball oh so well but for a player with so so much talent and good feet offers a disappointing lack of goal threat due to a “just not quite” final ball and not being a natural around the box , although last weeks finish at boro was beautiful 

I think he revelled when Lawrence was suspended as it allowed him to be the risk taker with the ball and try to be the one with license to express themselves higher up the pitch 

the kids got bags of talent and it’ll be down to cocu If we see the best of it on a regular basis 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Not sure I agree with that. He’s best deeper in midfield, getting the ball deep and linking the front two thirds.

I disagree lol

the beauty of football and opinions lol

he has a lovely turn of pace and agility as u say he’s great at taking the ball of the back four but he’s too deep to influence things meaningfully from there as his passing is average, higher up he uses those quick feet to engineer spaces that others can’t and when he does we look a totally different proposition offensively, when he’s on it higher up we look a real threat going forward 

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

He’s a cracking talent, he’s almost Simon Dawkins to a degree ... carries and travels with the ball oh so well but for a player with so so much talent and good feet offers a disappointing lack of goal threat due to a “just not quite” final ball and not being a natural around the box , although last weeks finish at boro was beautiful 

I think he revelled when Lawrence was suspended as it allowed him to be the risk taker with the ball and try to be the one with license to express themselves higher up the pitch 

the kids got bags of talent and it’ll be down to cocu If we see the best of it on a regular basis 

Wow, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the Simon Dawkins comparison. Not the exact same player, but I totally get what you mean. I liked Dawkins a lot.

On 30/12/2019 at 22:03, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m not one for frivolous thread creation, but he really does deserve his own thread.

He was absolutely outstanding tonight. His performance on the ball was as good as any from last season, but what impressed me most was his defensive nous. Gallagher was running the show in the first half, but Holmes completely pocketed him in the second. All the kicking, pushing, chirping and hair stroking amounted to poohousery of the highest and most effective order.

Even more impressive is the fact that he did that in a team of ten men and was in the middle of a flat four across the middle - a role which he’s neither used to or physically suited to. 

More of that and he’ll be my favourite player again.

His end product isn't the best, but he always gives 100%, so I can accept that. If all of the outfield players put in the effort that he does, we'd be top six with ease. He's one of the good guys! 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Without doubt he’s better higher up the pitch 

im in agreement with those who question his form earlier in the season, but he was playing a lot deeper, get him higher up the pitch and the kid can be electric 

one for the manager as to how he developes, I think the answer is obvious 

Agree about position  ..... there was one great moment in the second half when he got the ball, went past several players almost brushing them aside. He can't do this if he is too deep. 

Liked him the first time I saw him.

His first name is positive. Great feet but no fancy dan .. he is gutsy, doesn’t give up, no petulance. Skill written all over him. My favourite current player. Final ball needs honing, occasional over enthusiasm leads to wrong decisions but if those 2 characteristics weren’t there he’d be on a prem scouts list. 

Some attacking players gamble ( that in itself is a skill ) but I always think the pocket rocket has a plan when he’s doing the tricky stuff. Great great attitude. 

If he works on the weaker points of his game then we have one hell of a player that has a lot of attributes that could take him right to the top. One of the things that I like about him is that he doesn't get bullied despite his diminutive size. He's very strong for his size. Probably because of his low centre of gravity. 

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I disagree lol

the beauty of football and opinions lol

he has a lovely turn of pace and agility as u say he’s great at taking the ball of the back four but he’s too deep to influence things meaningfully from there as his passing is average, higher up he uses those quick feet to engineer spaces that others can’t and when he does we look a totally different proposition offensively, when he’s on it higher up we look a real threat going forward 

I mean, ideally we’d both be right. The Hughes role in a 433 would get the best out of him.

If we’re struggling to play football/DM’s man marked you’d have him doing what I think he’s good at. If we’re in the ascendency then he’d do what you think he’s good at, as Hughes used to. 

41 minutes ago, cannable said:

I mean, ideally we’d both be right. The Hughes role in a 433 would get the best out of him.

If we’re struggling to play football/DM’s man marked you’d have him doing what I think he’s good at. If we’re in the ascendency then he’d do what you think he’s good at, as Hughes used to. 

Can we just have Hughes back lol 

Another very good performance by him today. At the centre of pretty much everything we did good going forward with his driving runs from deep. His touch and control at times was absolutely sublime, the way he can keep the ball in tight spaces is brilliant to watch. He’s definitely one of our more technically gifted players, which bodes very well in terms of the player we could make out of him with sufficient good coaching. The speed he possesses in bursts to play himself out of trouble is also very impressive, and was significant today in transition from defence to attack, pulling the Hull midfield out of position. He really was the vital cog in that midfield, as he so often is, and is under-appreciated imo.

I was surprised to see him line up in the deeper midfield role (I guessed he would have been continuing in his RW role), but it was a pleasant surprise. He’s much much more effective there imo, and that feels like his natural role to me moving forward. He’s not the man that’s gonna grab loads of goals who you want in the final third. He’s the man you want creating the opportunities in the final third through his creativity deeper in midfield, especially some of his through balls which are superb and worthy of more assists. He’s a Will Hughes type for me, and we need to use him in that role. Obviously to reach that next level, he still needs to improve his final ball even if that isn’t his main role, which will obviously improve his numbers. That’s what will make him a potential prem class midfielder for me. But he’s certainly still a very good championship player at what he does best, and if you can’t see what he offers to this team then as I’ve said before, you’re just wrong.

Needs bumping again.

Obviously a very emotional night for him last night but was tireless again and is looking more and more like an absolute bargain with every passing game. He seems to keep improving and adding to his game as time goes on which is fantastic to see.

First name on the team sheet for me.

Archived