Duane Holmes

DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Your opinion, but he's older than Will Hughes and shown nothing like the talent Will has. So err I thought containing myself to an emoji comment was pretty good. 

Will Hughes was a class player for us, as part of a team half-full of Scottish and Irish internationals. He moved up to the Premier League and has been in and out of a middling-to-poor Watford side, where it would not be too harsh to say that his career has plateaued. Duane Holmes, although older, is still on an upward trajectory, helped by having Rooney’s quality alongside him. Whether or not he will ultimately be as good as Will  remains to be seen. I hope he is, but either way a comment that he “might be better” did not deserve to be ridiculed, even in a “contained” manner. I took his comment to be hoping for continued progress for Duane rather than any disrespect to Will. I suspect that, in truth, all of our opinions and aspirations regarding those two players are broadly similar.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/02/2020 at 17:44, Sean said:

Needs bumping again.

Obviously a very emotional night for him last night but was tireless again and is looking more and more like an absolute bargain with every passing game. He seems to keep improving and adding to his game as time goes on which is fantastic to see.

First name on the team sheet for me.

Credit to our recruitment team I would say. 

5 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Will Hughes was a class player for us, as part of a team half-full of Scottish and Irish internationals. He moved up to the Premier League and has been in and out of a middling-to-poor Watford side, where it would not be too harsh to say that his career has plateaued.

Has it really? Pearson picked him and he's played but now/been injured. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Has it really? Pearson picked him and he's played but now/been injured. 

Got to agree with @OohMartWrighton this one Roy, if joining Watford in the Premier League was a step up from DCFC then he hasn’t really kicked on from the move IMO. Not sure anyone can say he’d be on the shopping list of a prem league team pushing for the top 10 or above. 

I had concerns over Duane reaching the level needed for a promotion team ability wise first half of the season but never lacked real effort, recently he has been far better and deserves to be among the first names on the team sheet 

in my view he is not on a par with hughes but they are different types of player ,at this point there is nothing to say Duane can’t improve further with good coaching and in a decent team ,he certainly has the attitude to reach the peak of his ability 

6 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Got to agree with @OohMartWrighton this one Roy, if joining Watford in the Premier League was a step up from DCFC then he hasn’t really kicked on from the move IMO. Not sure anyone can say he’d be on the shopping list of a prem league team pushing for the top 10 or above. 

The comparison is with the heady heights being reached by Holmes though. From League 1 to mid-table Championship, who will come in for him if we don't go up? 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The comparison is with the heady heights being reached by Holmes though. From League 1 to mid-table Championship, who will come in for him if we don't go up? 

That’s a fair one but Hughes has been in a winning team with a track record at the top end of the table. He was young so had been looked at by some big names over a couple of years. Will has more instinctive passing ability and range than Duane but that’s the only marked difference IMO

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fair point ...... Watford??????

4 minutes ago, jono said:

That’s a fair one but Hughes has been in a winning team with a track record at the top end of the table. He was young so had been looked at by some big names over a couple of years. Will has more instinctive passing ability and range than Duane but that’s the only marked difference IMO

I think the other one is that Duane ghost past defenders like they weren't there. Hughes will never be such player.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

I had concerns over Duane reaching the level needed for a promotion team ability wise first half of the season but never lacked real effort, recently he has been far better and deserves to be among the first names on the team sheet 

in my view he is not on a par with hughes but they are different types of player ,at this point there is nothing to say Duane can’t improve further with good coaching and in a decent team ,he certainly has the attitude to reach the peak of his ability 

I think they’re the same type of player but go about it slightly differently. Both play in the inside right channel. Hughes would progress it forward through passing, Holmes bursts through with the ball.  

I think Holmes is a different type of player to Hughes so comparing them is a bit fruitless. Hughes oozes class and he'd be a solid player at a top 10 PL club for my money just for his vision and ability to pass the ball. Holmes plays in a different way and adds different things but on his day can open up a defence just as well as Hughes does. He's on the whole been a cracking buy and should be a model for how we scout players in the future. Still makes me laugh that on the Sunderland documentary the scouts clearly didn't fancy him and thought they 'could do better than that'. 

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games (so far)

He’s been fantastic the last 6/7 games. My issue is with folk saying he’s had an amazing season, he hasn’t before Christmas he was poor hence only 2 goals 2 assists from our attacking midfielder all season (it’s February!).  Anyway playing well now and it’s great to see 

Archived