Cocu at PSV

Ramfan1958

Funny about who you speak to, isn’t it?

The PSV fans I worked with thought he’d do well. And the Ajax fans I work with said they feared him when he was down there. Mind you, the Fenerbahce fans in the office gave me a fair bit of stick.

Always good to get the inside info from people you work with. When we signed Abdoul Camara I asked the Angers fans down the warehouse what they made him, and they told me they sold us a dud. Some of the other lads were Eibar fans and remarked (in Basque) that they were surprised that Alebentosa flopped.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The PSV fans I worked with thought he’d do well. And the Ajax fans I work with said they feared him when he was down there. Mind you, the Fenerbahce fans in the office gave me a fair bit of stick.

Always good to get the inside info from people you work with. When we signed Abdoul Camara I asked the Angers fans down the warehouse what they made him, and they told me they sold us a dud. Some of the other lads were Eibar fans and remarked (in Basque) that they were surprised that Alebentosa flopped.

Where was you when Esteban Fuertes got here?

39 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Do you work at Interpol? 

2 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

He may have won the title but PSV fans I work with have said

.His  football was boring

.His tactics were negative 

.Possesion is everything.

.Pass backwards from the forwards to the defenders to the goalkeeper but don't give the ball away.!!!!

.His after match talks were the same every week we played well ,I'm proud of the players !!.

Finally the were really pleased once He was gone .

GET RID NOW BEFORE ITS TO LATE

Says the guy who puts out consistently negative posts.

WUM

.Pass backwards from the forwards to the defenders to the goalkeeper but don't give the ball away.!!!!

.His after match talks were the same every week we played well ,I'm proud of the players !!.

Did u read the thread  new manager or not ? 65% say he should stay. 

Also, do we need another thread about it as it's getting like Brexit?

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Genuine question, how many trophies have PSV won since he left?

They haven't won any, but he has only be gone for a year and a half. 

He probably was pleased with his players at PSV - he had a 65% win rate with them. In 14/15 they only lost 4 games, in  15/16 and 16/17 they lost 2 and 17/18 they lost 3. If he can't say he is proud of his players in those circumstances when can he say he is proud?!?!?!?

As for the rest of your post we don't really play possession football here anymore and we certainly don't keep the ball at all costs, so I don't think we have a problem if thats your issue. If Cocu wins the league you won't find many people wanting to get rid of him here.

17 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He probably was pleased with his players at PSV - he had a 65% win rate with them. In 14/15 they only lost 4 games, in  15/16 and 16/17 they lost 2 and 17/18 they lost 3. If he can't say he is proud of his players in those circumstances when can he say he is proud?!?!?!?

If he could afford to sell Depay then there must have been one or two decent players - FloJo not good enough for them as someone else pointed out.

You will always come in for unnecessary sarcasm with this kind of post/thread. Ie 'Yeh he won three titles but what did Cocu ever do for PSV...' 

However, I would cut you some slack if your post included stuff that put things in a different light....eg he had been ridiculously backed in the transfer market, smashed the wage structure or left a hugely aging squad and sold off all the best young players for a pittance.

Saying merely he played defensive football whilst winning the league seems a bit strange.   

55 minutes ago, GenBr said:

As for the rest of your post we don't really play possession football here anymore and we certainly don't keep the ball at all costs, so I don't think we have a problem if thats your issue. If Cocu wins the league you won't find many people wanting to get rid of him here.

So he's lost the same here in one half season than 3 with psv, different quality of players and league is hard to compare but needs a vast improvement 

OP is getting a bit of stick but he’s correct. Hope Mel wasn’t fooled into thinking Cocu is going to bring us outstanding football just because he’s Dutch. I’d suggest psv won the league because of a combination of them having a mini golden generation of PSV players with players such as Wijnaldum, Chucky Lozano, Depay, Guardado, Davy Propper and Hector Moreno and Ajax going through a crisis in that period which they’ve now recovered from. Of course Cocu helped to put that team together but it wasn’t what you would say outstanding tactics that helped psv win the league, it was basic but effective stuff with quick , goal scoring widemen and crossing to the big man De Jong up front. We don’t have quick goal scoring wingers or a big target man like that in our team

Fair bit of hyperbole from the OP, but I think the point is a very important one. Cocu doesnt play attacking football. Simple as that. Never has done, probably never will do. Personally, I don’t agree with the OP about possession play etc etc, I don’t find that boring to watch. But a defensive mentality pisses me off more than anything. And that’s what Cocu seems to have, and all evidence suggests he always has done. So if we thought we were getting in a Mac/Lampard type manager for continuity, then sadly we have, once again, not done our research and got the wrong man. It seems to me that was the plan, and that’s why I’m Cocu out. I want us to build a long term attacking philosophy (I think the club do too), and Cocu isn’t the man to do that.

It’s gonna take a massive rebuild to get a side that can play Cocus way, as it’s totally at odds With what we recruited for last year. If you’re Cocu in and you don’t mind that, or a defensive style of play, then that’s fair enough. We need a rebuild either way up, so it’s a valid view to have. But if you’re Cocu in because you’re clinging on to the hope that he’ll have us playing fast paced attacking football given time, then I’m sorry, but you’re just wrong. Or, at the very least, it’s blind faith as nothing in his career so far has suggested that he will have the side playing that way. Same goes for the club, if they brought him in hoping for that sort of style, then I think they’ve made a great mistake.

FWIW, Cocu is probably a good manager at the style he plays, his record at PSV suggests he is and I wouldn’t say otherwise. But, for me, that style isn’t right for us, or what I want to be seeing long term. Others may disagree which is fair enough, we all have differing opinions on the best style of play, but for me he’s entirely the wrong man. And this is the crux of why I can’t back him at the moment.

51 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

... I’d suggest PSV won the league because of a combination of them having a mini golden generation of PSV players with players such as Wijnaldum, Chucky Lozano, Depay, Guardado, Davy Propper and Hector Moreno and Ajax going through a crisis in that period which they’ve now recovered from. Of course Cocu helped to put that team together but it wasn’t what you would say outstanding tactics that helped psv win the league, it was basic but effective stuff with quick , goal scoring widemen and crossing to the big man De Jong up front. 

Ooh our squad is nearly that good, and we've some excellent youth to sell. Viva la Revolution.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

You're not suggesting some embroidering of the truth to suit a personal agenda, are you?

Just now, Sexydadbod said:

OP is getting a bit of stick but he’s correct. Hope Mel wasn’t fooled into thinking Cocu is going to bring us outstanding football just because he’s Dutch. I’d suggest psv won the league because of a combination of them having a mini golden generation of PSV players with players such as Wijnaldum, Chucky Lozano, Depay, Guardado, Davy Propper and Hector Moreno and Ajax going through a crisis in that period which they’ve now recovered from. Of course Cocu helped to put that team together but it wasn’t what you would say outstanding tactics that helped psv win the league, it was basic but effective stuff with quick , goal scoring widemen and crossing to the big man De Jong up front. We don’t have quick goal scoring wingers or a big target man like that in our team

The thing is, he created that golden generation. Lozano, Propper, Guardado, Moreno and De Jong was all bought by Cocu. If he can do the similar change here, I'll be one happy bunny. 

What I don’t get is folk saying hate Rowett’s boring tactics, dislike Rowett’s counterattack style, but then say if Coco plays boring footy and wins the league we’d all be happy. You cannot have it both ways?

I know we collapsed in the end but we sat 2nd on 1st January 2018 with 49 points under Rowett. If we beat Charlton on Monday we’ll have 30 points ☹️

5 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Brian Clough played boring football too. It was a key reason Longson and the board were not at all bothered about his resignation. They wanted to play with flair. In hindsight I would rather have the Clough style of football and 2 European Cup wins. 

Archived