Cocu at PSV

Ramfan1958

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In most areas of life/work you tend to solve problems by employing solutions that have worked in the past.

The champ being a new league for Cocu (and a very tough one at that) with him in charge of a mid table at best squad is something he will not have experienced before and hence he has not the solution to the problems he is facing with the squad has.

January is therefore more important than ever as he needs to get the players that can solve the problems in a way he has experience of.

The alternative route is to get the “Colin” type manager who has got the experience, but will be not pretty to watch and have no use of academy prospects.

I am sticking with Cocu until summer.

35 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I see this said all the time, top managers adapt their styles and formation to make do what they have. Now, Cocu obviously cannot make our squad play like prime 2010 Barcelona, but you adapt and play styles that suit your players. And if you can only make it work with a very rigid and set formation, you're just not a very good manager. 

But do they? Klopps Liverpool, Guardiola's City and dare say in time Mourinho's Spurs all look like their previous reincarnations.

4 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

In most areas of life/work you tend to solve problems by employing solutions that have worked in the past.

The champ being a new league for Cocu (and a very tough one at that) with him in charge of a mid table at best squad is something he will not have experienced before and hence he has not the solution to the problems he is facing with the squad has.

January is therefore more important than ever as he needs to get the players that can solve the problems in a way he has experience of.

The alternative route is to get the “Colin” type manager who has got the experience, but will be not pretty to watch and have no use of academy prospects.

I am sticking with Cocu until summer.

However all bar Boro at home (and kind of Forest/Wigan away) he’s trying the same tactics week in, week out.

Correct me if I’m wrong but doing the same thing week in, week out is the definition of .... The Cocu Way.

I would support him more if he could acknowledge his weaknesses and try something else. However a complete stubbornness to even do this just drives me crazy.

56 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think it's been assumed Chris Hughton would walk in and instantly improve us in the same way it was assumed Nigel "at Leicester" Pearson would kick these bottle jobs into gear. 

I think most accept Cocu's excuses though. He's doing badly but with the players available to him is it much lower than expectations? 

Can’t comment me owd, only watch ‘em on the telly these days, therefore my opinion is null and void. ?

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

However all bar Boro at home (and kind of Forest/Wigan away) he’s trying the same tactics week in, week out.

I think I have seen him try lots of solutions (tactics if you want to call it that) without success and hence he has reverted back to type.

The #1 problem is the players and that is not yet his fault. Why not solve the #1 problem first?

59 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think it's been assumed Chris Hughton would walk in and instantly improve us in the same way it was assumed Nigel "at Leicester" Pearson would kick these bottle jobs into gear. 

I think most accept Cocu's excuses though. He's doing badly but with the players available to him is it much lower than expectations? 

Personally I would go for Dean Smith if /when he’s sacked from villa. I know he signed a new contract there recently but that was before they hit their bad spell. It doesn’t look like he’s going to last much longer at Villa  if they carry on like this because of their position in the premier league and their owners are twitchy because of the financial situation there so are desperate to stay up for the riches of the premier league. Fans are turning against him because he’s too attacking and forward thinking(what a nice problem that is as opposed to a rowett style). I think he’d do a really good job here and get the most out of the academy. He was my first pick when Rowett was linked with Stoke in January 2018.

Of course this is all hypothetical but he would be my first pick if he’s sacked. He plays good progressive football which is what I want.

18 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Can’t comment me owd, only watch ‘em on the telly these days, therefore my opinion is null and void. ?

If you turn your telly around 180° it improves the games. 

That's my Christmas gift. Enjoy

7 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

He may have won the title but PSV fans I work with have said

.His  football was boring

.His tactics were negative 

.Possesion is everything.

.Pass backwards from the forwards to the defenders to the goalkeeper but don't give the ball away.!!!!

.His after match talks were the same every week we played well ,I'm proud of the players !!.

Finally the were really pleased once He was gone .

GET RID NOW BEFORE ITS TO LATE

7 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I always start my sentences with a full stop. 

Yes, but do you also add a final lonely full stop way down below the last word? Almost as a postscript in it's own right! 

If not, then I'd suggest you are not even in the same league as the OP, when it comes to the art of full stop positioning!  A mere amateur, by comparison... If I may be so bold!

44 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

That's right ref the settee 45 years season ticket holder 90 mile round trip every match. 

Cocu Out !!!

Ah I get it now. The longer you've had a season ticket and the further away from Pride Park you are, the more sense your opinion makes.

5 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

it was basic but effective stuff with quick , goal scoring widemen and crossing to the big man De Jong up front. We don’t have quick goal scoring wingers or a big target man like that in our team

Perhaps a transfer window or 2 to get these in place then. Quick wingers who can put a good cross in and chip in with goals, would be especially nice....we might might not be so pedestrian then.

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

What style should we be playing with then? Considering we don't have a single capable winger or creative midfielder in the squad, nor do we have a big man up top we can lump it to, nor do we have a stable defence to sit deep and rely on, I'm struggling to think of an obvious style of play that this squad is suited for.

Perfectly put ?

2 hours ago, lrm14 said:

What style should we be playing with then? Considering we don't have a single capable winger or creative midfielder in the squad, nor do we have a big man up top we can lump it to, nor do we have a stable defence to sit deep and rely on, I'm struggling to think of an obvious style of play that this squad is suited for.

Don't have a clear answer for you, but doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result ain't the smartest thing in the world. Surely you have to TRY other things, when it's obviously not working?

2 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just playing devils advocate but isn't it also true that if you're a player that can't adapt to different formations then you ain't a very good player. It's true that we ain't performing anywhere near expected levels but I don't think you can lay the blame solely at Cocus door although I do acknowledge he isn't entirely blameless. 

Yeah, correct. Players that can only play one formation aren't very good. Quite the nature of the Championship, though.

Archived