Relegation battle

Archied

1 hour ago, Emson said:

Again, just like @AdamRam, a complete lack of realism and failure to understand the nature of our current circumstances.

We all want and hope that Rooney is successful at Derby, but surely we must be realistic.

• He has never, ever played in the championship, let alone at the lower reaches of it
  • He is 34 years old
  • He has never, ever played with players of the quality of players that we have at Derby County
  • He will be targeted by every single championship opposition player looking to take a scalp for their scrapbook
  • He has no track record of being a successful leader, let alone when  in adversity - the last time he experienced being a leader when up against it was when captaining England against Iceland at Euro 2016, one of the most abject performances by the national team in living memory

I am absolutely delighted that Rooney is coming to Derby and am very excited to see him in a Rams shirt. And I really hope he has a similar impact on the Rams as Dave Mackay, John Gregory and Igor Stimac did

But the way one or two people are pinning all their hopes and aspirations on him single handedly changing our fortunes is both incredibly unfair and hugely optimistic - putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on him before he has even kicked a ball.

@AdamRam - you do know that his title is player/coach, don't you........ ?!

So again, the point of my post is this : lets not be complacent . We are in a relegation battle and it will take a lot, including Wayne Rooney, to get out of it 

Realistic, pragmatic perhaps. Gloomy certainly. Accurate .. debatable. We are 2 losses with other results going against us before we hit the relegation zone. 2 wins and results for us puts us above mid table .. so relegation battle is stretching at a bit I think .. just saying 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, jono said:

Realistic, pragmatic perhaps. Gloomy certainly. Accurate .. debatable. We are 2 losses with other results going against us before we hit the relegation zone. 2 wins and results for us puts us above mid table .. so relegation battle is stretching at a bit I think .. just saying 

Thing is .. u rightly point out it’s two losses and results going against us ... do u know the championship? Anyone can beat anyone and that possibility is a huge huge reality and if that were to happen can u imagine the utter panick and pressure that suddenly engulfs this club 

let’s not even go there 

but suggest a club that is only 6 points off the drop, utterly inept away from home and who’s home form is starting falter is not in a relegation scrap is utterly deluded 

we’re in one mate make no bones about it 

take only 1 -2 points from the next two home games and the preverbial is hitting the fan simple as 

7 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Thing is .. u rightly point out it’s two losses and results going against us ... do u know the championship? Anyone can beat anyone and that possibility is a huge huge reality and if that were to happen can u imagine the utter panick and pressure that suddenly engulfs this club 

let’s not even go there 

but suggest a club that is only 6 points off the drop, utterly inept away from home and who’s home form is starting falter is not in a relegation scrap is utterly deluded 

we’re in one mate make no bones about it 

take only 1 -2 points from the next two home games and the preverbial is hitting the fan simple as 

My definition of relegation scrap is when you are 4th from bottom (or worse) or points scored (or not) on upcoming match  you puts you 4th from bottom (or worse) .. anything else is soothsaying. 

it isn’t looking good I agree but win tomorrow or just get more than those immediately behind us and the picture changes. 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

20th, as it stands.

But apparently we're nowhere near poor enough to go down? 

Reality check needed for some, I'm afraid. 

Agreed.  Our form is relegation form too.  Having said that watching the Forest game, I cannot believe they will go uptown 5th.  They are poor

1 minute ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Agreed.  Our form is relegation form too.  Having said that watching the Forest game, I cannot believe they will go uptown 5th.  They are poor

Good thing we're famously decent after Christmas, right?

Right?

Right......?

scared homer simpson GIF

Just now, DCFC Ram said:

Cocu will change his 'formation', tactics and team in an attempt to combat whatever he thinks that Charlton will do tomorrow. After all, it's a strategy that is serving him well just now.

I'm too afraid that you will be spot on. Let's hope he's had a visit from a Christmas spirit, that has shown him the error of his ways.

4 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Interesting one for Mel.

I think he wants to give Cocu at least this season, but when does it get to the point when he has to twist.

In theory, not until Cocu completes the job he was brought in for. In practice, Morris has a proven track record of sacking managers, so who knows?

Perhaps Morris will keep his head when all those around him are losing theirs.

26 minutes ago, jono said:

My definition of relegation scrap is when you are 4th from bottom (or worse) or points scored (or not) on upcoming match  you puts you 4th from bottom (or worse) .. anything else is soothsaying. 

it isn’t looking good I agree but win tomorrow or just get more than those immediately behind us and the picture changes. 

Judging by how quickly things can change in the championship 

(I’m writing this as I see boro winning at wear Brom, Barnsley picking up a handy away point, Millwall,Huddersfield and reading all winning) 

were in it make no mistake 

13 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Half-way through the season, the points table doesn’t lie. They have been picking up results we can only dream of at the moment.

keep hearing how bad they are but they seem to keep on winning.

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Very difficult to work out,looking at the fixtures perhaps our form up to and including the Stoke game will be critical?

Imo if we loose tomorrow we have to sack him, if not then there is a good chance of league 1 football next season as the games will get harder soon enough and then we will be in serious trouble.

11 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Interesting one for Mel.

I think he wants to give Cocu at least this season, but when does it get to the point when he has to twist.

Win tomorrow and we are 9 points off relegation and 9 points off the play offs. 

Look at it how you like but I’d rather say we’d only need a slight upturn in form, a few good players to come in and we are pushing for that last play off spot. 

4 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Imo if we loose tomorrow we have to sack him, if not then there is a good chance of league 1 football next season as the games will get harder soon enough and then we will be in serious trouble.

Hard to argue with this, especially if we are heavily beaten like last time we played Charlton. The league table does not lie.

Desperately want it to work for Cocu but it's just not looking good at the minute and I don't think this club can afford to be relegated. 

Archived