Is this a top 6 team/squad

Archied

Top 6 team / squad  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Roos 

Bogle Davies Clarke Malone 

Huddlestone    

Belick       Shinnie 

Rooney    

Martin Marriott 

thats as good as it gets currently- and sure lowe for malone or Lawrence for Rooney or Waghorn for one of the front two but at least it would have some strength to the side and could attack and defend but probably lacks width but hey we don’t use it anyway but those players can actually play football 

wisdom and Forsyth are good cover options and Evans and Holmes should be nothing but subs 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bogle, Rooney and Bielik whatever system. Maybe Lowe. 

You can add Martin, Lawrence, Holmes and Malone if it’s an attacking 4-3-3. 

You can add Shinnie, Marriott, Davies and Huddlestone in a counter-attacking 4-4-2/4-2-3-1. Maybe Martin. 

The squad isn’t as bad as made out, it’s just a bit directionless at the minutes. We don’t have XI players to make any one system function. 

5 hours ago, Paese said:

We're a solid mid-table side. And we were last season as well. If not for a few star loans that are now playing regular international football we would have finished where we're on track to this year. You have to take a longer term view though, we need to recover and so its positive to see the youth team developing. It may take a couple of years for us to feel the benefits of this, I just hope Derby fans stick with it because two years of mid-table mediocrity really isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things. Especially if it might give us some stability in the long run. 

Don't see it being a problem. I don't get to many games at present as I am abroad a lot, but if i can't make it, I find a way to listen to match commentary, even when I know we are pretty awful. I guess what I am saying is, we have been out of the PL for nigh on 12 years, so my expectations are realistic. I reckon a lot of fans feel this way, but still support the team best as they can. 

We have a very poor squad at the moment and, unfortunately, our better (least worst) players are injured or out of form.

Fortunately, we have an intelligent manager backed by a sensible owner who together have a great vision for the future of our great club.

We have Rooney set to play in January, investment around the corner, hopefully some new signings soon and our injured players will return to give us another boost. Plus lots of exciting youngsters coming through.

The future is bright, we just have to go through a bit of pain first. Be brave, be patient, be sensible, be realistic, be supportive.

COYR ?

It’s an absolute myth that this squad is nowhere near top six quality.

Over 70% of the core group of players - players who have featured primarily for the first team in their Derby career - have played in teams that have either got promoted or finished in the play-offs in this division, with at least 60% of the core group having played significant roles in strong campaigns in the division.

How many other teams can speak of having that level of experience within their ranks?

There are three good teams in the division - Leeds, WBA and Fulham - who should take up three of the top six finishing places, leaving three places very much up for grabs.

The difference between the other 12 teams above us and ourselves is that we are very clearly being poorly managed. It is often the difference.

We are underachieving and the manager is not getting the best out of what is largely a capable group of players at this level.

Another manager with different tactics and a different philosophy would get this team playing more confidently and more positively and we’d be right in the thick of it.

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

No. Not close. A keeper, 2 centre halves, 2 centre mids, 2 wingers and a proper striker away from being one. We're okay at full back, and that's about it. Bielik when fit is a good quality holding mid. We have no quality, and equally no depth in quality. We need a huge January window of signings. Not sure we're going to get one, but it's what we need.

I fear you’ll be disappointed buddy. Very tricky to significantly improve a side in the Jan window.

I’d be looking at some strong loan options with an option to buy and getting the permanent signings we clearly need in the summer.

Pushing too hard now could do more harm than good in the long run. 

6 hours ago, Archied said:

Was more of a question I was putting to myself trying to get a bit of balance on my judgement of cocu and the players up to this point ,,I think where I am is that I reckon we have in the main a squad of fillers now , by that I mean players that can do a fair job if put around a few good players of prem or top level championship standard and mould in to a unit , we don’t have that spine or mini core of quality and without that these player we have left won’t cut it in promotion stakes 

A team of squad players. Spot on. Our current best hope is an unfit Bielik who is 21 and played league 1 last season.

I have seen Preston quoted as a team with no stars. Perhaps not, but the manager and players have been together several seasons.

Bennett is another squad player but last season he won us many many points. I don't even see an option similar to him and he isn't exactly a quality player!!

Just remember this stat. We have won 2 away league games this calendar year. 2. We are exactly where we should be and with a little luck we would be a few places higher.

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The difference between the other 12 teams above us and ourselves is that we are very clearly being poorly managed. It is often the difference.

We are underachieving and the manager is not getting the best out of what is largely a capable group of players at this level.

Another manager with different tactics and a different philosophy would get this team playing more confidently and more positively and we’d be right in the thick of it.

This.

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Over 70% of the core group of players - players who have featured primarily for the first team in their Derby career - have played in teams that have either got promoted or finished in the play-offs in this division, with at least 60% of the core group having played significant roles in strong campaigns in the division.

How many other teams can speak of having that level of experience within their ranks?

There are three good teams in the division - Leeds, WBA and Fulham - who should take up three of the top six finishing places, leaving three places very much up for grabs.

Whose the other manager with different tactics and philosophy?

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Bring back Bobby, Phil Gee, Stimac etc and we will walk the league then, using the above theory.

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Even if Frank was still here managing these players we would be doing much better than we are now

I think we would be doing better because the emphasis was on attack. 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What's the emphasis on now then anyway? It just doesn't look like football anymore. I haven't got a clue what we're doing. It's clear to me that's it's a managing/coaching problem not the players

15 hours ago, Paese said:

We're a solid mid-table side. And we were last season as well. If not for a few star loans that are now playing regular international football we would have finished where we're on track to this year. You have to take a longer term view though, we need to recover and so its positive to see the youth team developing. It may take a couple of years for us to feel the benefits of this, I just hope Derby fans stick with it because two years of mid-table mediocrity really isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things. Especially if it might give us some stability in the long run. 

This is true as much as I was enjoying the ride last season there was this nagging doubt that if we go up we are in big big trouble

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Possibly although I’d argue that he struggled when Mount was out for a prolonged period of time. This team has also lost Wilson, POTY and its captain along with countless other injuries.

Archived